Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DA: Derailers Anonymous Thread

Aquila King

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

The closest 'major' museum near me is that BS Creation Museum by Ken Ham. :rolleyes:

Would love to know what you think of that place. :lol:

Oh, man, we joke about it all the time. What state is that in? I've met visitors who's been there but no one I know on the museum staff has. Most of us would like to go there but are afraid we'd get in trouble for chuckling and heckling.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, man, we joke about it all the time. What state is that in? I've met visitors who's been there but no one I know on the museum staff has. Most of us would like to go there but are afraid we'd get in trouble for chuckling and heckling.

Cincinnati Ohio, but it's basically in Kentucky. I live in Lexington, so it's just a little over an hour's drive.

I tell ya man, that place is beyond bonkers.

They literally have manikins of people riding on dinosaurs. :lol:

• Like 3

We don't have interesting ones here damn it :( 

Adelaide Museum needs a makeover it's doesn't change.

Maritime one is ok.

Whale Museum hasn't changed in over 20 years.

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Cincinnati Ohio, but it's basically in Kentucky. I live in Lexington, so it's just a little over an hour's drive.

I tell ya man, that place is beyond bonkers.

They literally have manikins of people riding on dinosaurs. :lol:

Now, see, we'd be laughing and taking pictures of that all day. I thought it was in the south but couldn't remember if it was Tennessee or Kentucky, Hey, if it's only an hour away you should go there tomorrow. Take a ton of photos and post them in a new thread.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Online is one thing. Climbing over top of others in a store is another.

Hell, I prefer to shop at night cause I don't like the typical day crowd.

I couldn't imagine myself in a Black Friday mass.

You don't have to climb over anyone, that's why god invented brass knuckles and motorcycle chains to thin out the crowd.:innocent:

jmccr8

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

We don't have interesting ones here damn it :( 

Adelaide Museum needs a makeover it's doesn't change.

Maritime one is ok.

Whale Museum hasn't changed in over 20 years.

Museums in general are slow to change, especially big one. Our Egyptian exhibit hasn't been updated in 35 years. I think sometimes the mummies get bored with it. But our dinosaur hall was rebuilt a number of years ago and is one of the largest such exhibits in the world. And a couple of years ago we opened a new China hall, which is very beautiful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

You don't have to climb over anyone, that's why god invented brass knuckles and motorcycle chains to thin out the crowd.:innocent:

jmccr8

Or you can just eat a ton of very spicy food beforehand and walk around farting. I find that really clears people out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Now, see, we'd be laughing and taking pictures of that all day. I thought it was in the south but couldn't remember if it was Tennessee or Kentucky, Hey, if it's only an hour away you should go there tomorrow. Take a ton of photos and post them in a new thread.

Not even worth the gas money.

Plus I don't really want to contribute financially to such a backward organization, despite it being thoroughly entertaining.

• Like 2

Museums in general are slow to change, especially big one. Our Egyptian exhibit hasn't been updated in 35 years. I think sometimes the mummies get bored with it. But our dinosaur hall was rebuilt a number of years ago and is one of the largest such exhibits in the world. And a couple of years ago we opened a new China hall, which is very beautiful.

I swear if I ever make it to the US I'm visiting your museum.

No idea how old Adelaide's is.

They bring new exhibits in for a short time only but often nothing too interesting

• Like 1

We often have creationists visiting our museum. It is principally history and science at the Field Museum, so we're always puzzled why the creationists even come. They will often complain about the science we teach. One guy actually dressed me down once, inside the Egyptian exhibit, because he'd been spending all day at the museum and couldn't find our exhibit on creationism. I had to tell him we don't have one.

• Like 4

I swear if I ever make it to the US I'm visiting your museum.

No idea how old Adelaide's is.

They bring new exhibits in for a short time only but often nothing too interesting

Yeah, temporary exhibits are hit and miss. Right now we have one on the ancient Mediterranean, and I really like it. I've been working in there as well as my usual Egyptian exhibit. The Med exhibit is from our own storage vaults, so it contain a lot of stuff the museum rarely displays (or has never till now). But the weirdest exhibit we ever had (in my own opinion) was one on Jackie Kennedy. It was full of dresses, jewelry, and photos. At a natural history museum? I never set foot in it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

One guy actually dressed me down once, inside the Egyptian exhibit, because he'd been spending all day at the museum and couldn't find our exhibit on creationism. I had to tell him we don't have one.

:lol: Why on earth would he think that???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Because they must cover it in a museum. :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Aquila King said:

I couldn't possibly say. But if we know that a particular visitor might be a creationist, we try to keep an eye on them. They like to leave religious pamphlets stuck to random display cases. We don't like that.

• Like 3

I'm actually a nerdy guy who gets into science and history stuffs. I'd love to stop by your museum someday. ^_^

Care to gimme the address?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I'm actually a nerdy guy who gets into science and history stuffs. I'd love to stop by your museum someday. ^_^

Care to gimme the address?

Sure. It's 1400 S. Lake Shore Dr. You can't miss it. It's an enormous Neoclassical building right on the lake, and is across the street from the horrid monstrosity known as Solider Field. That's where the Chicago Bears lose play.

I should add it's easy to get to by rail and bus, but never bother to come when the Bears are across the street. Even I don't go there on those days. The whole area is a mess.

• Like 4

I Google maps it, wow it looks like a nice building.

Damn it I need to be rich, I want to visit

• Like 2

Just now, kmt_sesh said:

I couldn't possibly say. But if we know that a particular visitor might be a creationist, we try to keep an eye on them. They like to leave religious pamphlets stuck to random display cases. We don't like that.

The thing is, in my personal opinion, the idea of there being a God or some sort of spirituality isn't in any way inconsistent with evolution. Who's to say that there isn't some sort of conscious spiritual 'force' that guides evolution down a particular path? I'm not saying absolutely that it's the case. Merely that you don't have to be a creationist to believe in God or the afterlife.

They simply do it in order to keep their ancient religious texts consistent with the world around them. It's a sign of fragility in their own faith I'd say, as they have to distort the facts to such extremes in order to keep believing.

• Like 2

I second that. :tu:

As soon as I save up some money, I'll be going.

• Like 2

Damn it I need to be rich, I want to visit

I've always wanted to visit Macquarie University in Australia. They're supposed to have a fine Egyptian collection.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I second that. :tu:

As soon as I save up some money, I'll be going.

Take lots of photos and send them to your fave Aussie (me) :)

• Like 1

I've always wanted to visit Macquarie University in Australia. They're supposed to have a fine Egyptian collection.

I think when I was in Melbourne we drove past it.

Didn't know it was open to public

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

The thing is, in my personal opinion, the idea of there being a God or some sort of spirituality isn't in any way inconsistent with evolution. Who's to say that there isn't some sort of conscious spiritual 'force' that guides evolution down a particular path? I'm not saying absolutely that it's the case. Merely that you don't have to be a creationist to believe in God or the afterlife.

They simply do it in order to keep their ancient religious texts consistent with the world around them. It's a sign of fragility in their own faith I'd say, as they have to distort the facts to such extremes in order to keep believing.

I agree with everything in that post. I am no atheist, as it happens, but the creationists are too much. My own mom was a very religious person but always used her religion for personal good, and was never pushy about it. Religions today struggle mightily to stay relevant, but it's a tall order for something that originated over 2,000 years ago.

• Like 3

Most of the museums I've been to have been art museums. Been a long time since I've been to a natural history museum before.

My favorite museum was the Salvador Dhali museum in Florida. That place is right up my alley in the weirdness scale.

• Like 2

• The topic was locked