Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DA: Derailers Anonymous Thread

Aquila King

54 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Oh, Ruby, if you went shopping, what did you get me? :D

I'm hoping for that mummy-bandage hoodie I posted on the previous page last night. Come on, it's only...$80.

Lol I wish I could but it’s about AU$160 

• Like 1

Popping in to say HI!!   We were at our friends' house earlier, now I'm going to try to get a good night's sleep.  Have a good one!  :)   

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Lol, random question: Where's the whole 'God smiting you with lighting' thing start in the first place?

I thought it started with Zeus, but somehow it seeped into Christianity down the road.

That's a good question. I don't know. A lot of the cultures from that time borrowed from one another, and Yahweh was always elemental, so borrowing Zeus' lightning bolt is entirely possible. There's lightning all over the Old Testament (e.g., Exodus 9:23, when Moses raises his staff and God sends down thunder and lightning).

Sounds like a good research paper. Best get started. I expect to see your conclusions in next month's Biblical Archaeology:tu:

(You could publish under that cool name Kate King.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tcgram said:

Popping in to say HI!!   We were at our friends' house earlier, now I'm going to try to get a good night's sleep.  Have a good one!  :)   

Hi. Have a good night.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Lol I wish I could but it’s about AU$160 

Wow, that's twice the US dollars. So best use US dollars. Are you going to ship it or deliver it to my door?

29 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

I was shopping sorry. Back now. 

Are you wearing out the internet tonight? I'll bet you've cleaned Amazon out of its inventory.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

That's a good question. I don't know. A lot of the cultures from that time borrowed from one another, and Yahweh was always elemental, so borrowing Zeus' lightning bolt is entirely possible. There's lightning all over the Old Testament (e.g., Exodus 9:23, when Moses raises his staff and God sends down thunder and lightning).

Sounds like a good research paper. Best get started. I expect to see your conclusions in next month's Biblical Archaeology:tu:

anigif_original-14327-1447711021-15.gif

Was not prepared for that...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

anigif_original-14327-1447711021-15.gif

Was not prepared for that...

It's pretty cool how Ralph wets himself and it's immediately absorbed. Diapers, perhaps?

Editing to add: You asked a history nerd a history question. You know I can't control myself.

Edited by kmt_sesh
Clarification
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Wow, that's twice the US dollars. So best use US dollars. Are you going to ship it or deliver it to my door?

Are you wearing out the internet tonight? I'll bet you've cleaned Amazon out of its inventory.

Lol I wish

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

It's pretty cool how Ralph wets himself and it's immediately absorbed. Diapers, perhaps?

Better question is how it doesn't run down his pants leg in a straight stream rather than puddle around his groin in a circle.

6 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

You asked a history nerd a history question. You know I can't control myself.

You're talking to an everything nerd who loves to learn, so let loose buddy. :tu: Teach away!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Better question is how it doesn't run down his pants leg in a straight stream rather than puddle around his groin in a circle.

I tell you, it's the diaper. Extra-absorbant. I mean, if anyone wears a diaper, it'd be Ralph.

You're talking to an everything nerd who loves to learn, so let loose buddy. :tu: Teach away!

You're my kind of person. But as a fellow nerd you know it's dangerous to ask a nerd to teach, because we might not shut up. Over in the Ancient History forum I'm already known as a windbag. :lol:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I tell you, it's the diaper. Extra-absorbant. I mean, if anyone wears a diaper, it'd be Ralph.

You're my kind of person. But as a fellow nerd you know it's dangerous to ask a nerd to teach, because we might not shut up. Over in the Ancient History forum I'm already known as a windbag. :lol:

2 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Did you remember to get something fun for small demon?

Not yet, about to go to a pet supply place that allows dogs, she needs weighing for preventative worm treatment.

I'll get her something there.

She got hangry and was howling for more food lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I never understood how some people can go through life not giving a single care in the world about knowing mankind's history, or the science of how things around them work, things like that. Stuff like that just fascinates me, even if most of it goes over my head.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I never understood how some people can go through life not giving a single care in the world about knowing mankind's history, or the science of how things around them work, things like that. Stuff like that just fascinates me, even if most of it goes over my head.

Google helps when you cannot understand a word or want to know how to pronounce it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I'm the same way. But the majority of my friends are smart and educated people, so I consider myself luckily in good company. Of course my close friends at the museum have many of the same history interests as I do.

I'm always a little hesitant to admit it but I will anyway. I hate sports. Almost all sports, I should say. And I'm a guy. So I guess I must be gay, right? No, I just don't like sports. I don't get the guy who will spend all day on his sofa, guzzling beer and chomping chips while he watches game after game after game on the TV. To me that is a waste of time.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Not yet, about to go to a pet supply place that allows dogs, she needs weighing for preventative worm treatment.

I'll get her something there.

She got hangry and was howling for more food lol

I hope you get the puppy something fun. Maybe a little stuffed dog or cat. And then take photos for us of her munching on it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'm always a little hesitant to admit it but I will anyway. I hate sports. Almost all sports, I should say. And I'm a guy. So I guess I must be gay, right? No, I just don't like sports. I don't get the guy who will spend all day on his sofa, guzzling beer and chomping chips while he watches game after game after game on the TV. To me that is a waste of time.

Nothing wrong with not liking sports 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I'm the exact same way!! :o

I've always hated sports, even as a kid. I was the nerdy sci-fi fantasy loving outcast who get stereotypically bullied by sports jocks, and couldn't play sports worth a crap in gym class. Actually gym class was in many ways my own personal Hell, but I won't get into all that here...

But anyway, I've never been into sports. They're all totally boring to me.

• Like 2

Lol, you probably weren't the kinda loser nerd I was, but at least I'm not the only guy on the planet that doesn't give an F about sports.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

3bc.gif

Hey...those are some of our best dancers!

• Like 4

On 14/12/2017 at 9:09 PM, ShadowSot said:

I often say aluminum shavings get everywhere. But I'm here cracking walnuts, and I found shavings inside the nut itself. I give up. 

Aluminuts?

jmccr8

• Like 2

Just now, Aquila King said:

Lol, you probably weren't the kinda loser nerd I was, but at least I'm not the only guy on the planet that doesn't give an F about sports.

Oh, I was always kind of an awkward kid, and am now something of an awkward man. I had my share of bullies when I was a kid, and they were pretty bad. There were five or six of them. But somehow I got lucky. By the end of eighth grade, through no real effort of my own, all but one of those bullies became friends of mine. And the one who stayed a bully was pretty awful to everyone and liked by almost no one, so I didn't care. In fact, I spent all of high school completely ignoring him, and felt kind of bad for him.

• Like 3

• The topic was locked