Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experiences with Hypnagogic Hallucinations

Carnoferox

I've had a ton of moments of sleep paralysis a few years back. I would get that sleep paralysis, force myself to wake up then it would keep repeating preventing me from sleeping. So I would have to get up and watch a little TV or something then I would be fine. I never had any hallucinations or such from it, just that knee jerk reaction from being aware that I couldn't move, then forcing myself to move by trying to wake myself up kind of sucked.

Never had any since. It was just like this period of years in my life where it would happen sometimes. I've only had a few lucid dreams and they were very enjoyable but never could provoke them and haven't had one of those in years either but I was always aware that I was dreaming and it was fun to control it.

So I've never had any hypnagogic hallucinations and the only thing I ever visually saw was when I was wide awake and been up for a while, a typical shadow man acting startled that I could see him, he then quickly went around the banister and down the stairs. Then a couple days later as I was going downstairs, just as I reached for the door handle, it sprung all the way open real fast. I expected to see someone there but nothing. I just said thanks and went about my way. I suppose if I hallucinated the door opening up for me, then I must have walked right through it since I never physically touched it.

• Like 1

I'm not 100% certain these experiences are hallucinations. No matter what they are I've have a few pretty crazy experiences. 

I woke up one morning, never having heard of sleep paralysis or hypnagogic hallucinations, to see a black cloud that swirled around like a tornado. I don't think I have ever been more afraid. I thought for sure it was a demon. I was terrified for my life. 

Lucky for me there were some good folks right here on this site who walked me through all this, and next thing I knew I was having intentional out of body experiences. 

Since then the very few times I had sleep paralysis, was more funny then anything. Few months ago I ended up in paralysis trying to project. Suddenly I became aware of this human body with the large head of a fly laying right next to me. It was making this ticking noise. I'm pretty sure it was there to scare me, but instead I burst out laughing. Then I told it that they had better scram before I get out of this body. It was gone. 

Oh man I could go on all day with different experiences. Guess I'll stop there for now. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

I started sleep paralysis when I was about 12, I'm 21 now, and I didn't know what it was all I knew was that I couldn't wake up bc of it. And I would always hear static in my head and a black shadow of a man sitting on my bed. I got so mad bc he was making the static sound so I told him to F off and he did. I had some chances to astral project when I was 17 but stopped myself since I don't want to be any part of this. It seems like it just happens without me wanting to like I'm being pushed to do it. now that I'm my age I've had weird hullicinations of me waking up in my room with my window wide opened and construction being done outside. I wake up there and can't wake up myself up to stop the dream. This has happened for more than 5x in the past week. This morning it happened and instead of construction being made outside I now heard super loud machines in my brain. I got annoyed by it since I couldn't wake up. I probably seem like I'm quick to anger, I'm not. I just don't find the purpose to this happening so it's kinda of a nuissance to me for now 

It is and it isn't. Take for instance the shadow people phenomena. 

I had a really vivid experience most people would attribute to hypnagogia. I didn't say anything about it to my partner on purpose. A night or two later, and he had a similar experience. So it can be somewhat external, but controllable. 

I was able to oust everything...even what people might call sleep paralysis or hypnagogia type phenomena. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have woken up to see things in my room and house many times. I will be sort of asleep but also fully aware and can answer questions that you ask me while in this state. If you wanna do something cool, have a small light near your bed (maybe a small light plugged into the wall but not too big), when you wake up in the middle of the night look at it as fast as you can, and out of the light various images and shapes will begin taking form out of the light until you blink a bunch then it will stop

There's an interesting case from the late 1700's, on Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

The precise dates haven't been preserved, but based on the life dates of the people involved, this likely happened in the 1780's, around the end or just after the Revolutionary War.

A young man (teens or early twenties) named Ansil Wood believed that a much older lady in the town (late sixties or seventies) was a witch. Some nights, he thought, she would change him into a horse (!), and ride him to a witches' gathering in Plymouth, then ride him back home. The round trip was about 50 miles (80 km), so understandably, Ansil was very tired the next day.

He believed this firmly enough that he was considering formal legal charges against the neighbor. He was advised that before he did that, he should wait until the next time he was transformed. He was told to make a distinctive mark on the tree where the woman tied him up in Plymouth.

Sure enough, it happened again, and Ansil made the mark as suggested. When he woke up in the morning, the mark  was on his bedpost at home.

He didn't file charges, but reportedly he wasn't personally convinced and continued to tell the story. However, that he was able to make the mark shows that he wasn't in ordinary REM sleep, either.

https://uncertaintist.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/the-ghost-witch-of-barnstable-massachusetts/

• Like 2