Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Natural disasters and the American Spirit

RavenHawk

We heard from that Professor in Tampa that claimed that Harvey was retribution for the state of Texas for voting for Trump.  I'm sure he and others are now thinking the same with Irma crashing into Florida.  But what we are going to see is just one of many high points for a Trump Administration and showing how an Administration does it right.  This isn’t passing judgment; it is showcasing the American Spirit.  It is Texas Strong and Florida Strong.  Just plan Americanism.

But it's more than that.  What we are seeing from Harvey and now Irma will be that spirit in action.  It is a "Finest Hour" moment.  Not this anarchist/defeatist victimhood mentality.  Neighbor helping neighbor.  They are holding block parties as neighbors help each other go through debris and rip out soaked drywall.

Everyone with a boat was out rescuing those that needed help.  The Cajun Navy has permanently entered the American lexicon.  I'm sure they are regrouping to head to Florida.  And images like that of Officer Daryl Hudeck as he carries Catherine Pham and her son Aiden to safety is a common virtue and a common sight.

My wife was talking with one of her metaphysical friends about the intensity of the disasters that have befallen us.  The fires in the Northwest, two major hurricanes, an 8.0 earthquake in Mexico.  They think that they are caused by the hatred being spewed by anti-Trump/anti-American sentiment by the MSM, Progs, Antifa, etc.  I believe that there is something to that.  That collective thought is a force unto its own.  But with such a level of hate, there is always an opposite and equal reaction.  They had put up such a field of negativity that things were beginning to deteriorate but despite all of this, the greatness of American Exceptionalism has emerged to counter this negativity.  Not even disaster will bring us down.  But then I suspect that after Irma becomes a memory, the anarchists will return to their normal attack on America.  What part of American culture will they demand be removed next?  How soon will they be back trying to claim collusion?  Bring it on!  You will never win.  American is greater than you.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

We heard from that Professor in Tampa that claimed that Harvey was retribution for the state of Texas for voting for Trump.  I'm sure he and others are now thinking the same with Irma crashing into Florida.

They have become what they despise the most. They are precisely like the right wing, Christian fanatics that said Katrina hit New Orleans because it was a "sin city".

I am proud of how resolute and organized the people caught up in these tragedies have been. Not to mention the proactive response from the White House.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

We heard from that Professor in Tampa that claimed that Harvey was retribution for the state of Texas for voting for Trump.  I'm sure he and others are now thinking the same with Irma crashing into Florida.  But what we are going to see is just one of many high points for a Trump Administration and showing how an Administration does it right.  This isn’t passing judgment; it is showcasing the American Spirit.  It is Texas Strong and Florida Strong.  Just plan Americanism.

But it's more than that.  What we are seeing from Harvey and now Irma will be that spirit in action.  It is a "Finest Hour" moment.  Not this anarchist/defeatist victimhood mentality.  Neighbor helping neighbor.  They are holding block parties as neighbors help each other go through debris and rip out soaked drywall.

Everyone with a boat was out rescuing those that needed help.  The Cajun Navy has permanently entered the American lexicon.  I'm sure they are regrouping to head to Florida.  And images like that of Officer Daryl Hudeck as he carries Catherine Pham and her son Aiden to safety is a common virtue and a common sight.

My wife was talking with one of her metaphysical friends about the intensity of the disasters that have befallen us.  The fires in the Northwest, two major hurricanes, an 8.0 earthquake in Mexico.  They think that they are caused by the hatred being spewed by anti-Trump/anti-American sentiment by the MSM, Progs, Antifa, etc.  I believe that there is something to that.  That collective thought is a force unto its own.  But with such a level of hate, there is always an opposite and equal reaction.  They had put up such a field of negativity that things were beginning to deteriorate but despite all of this, the greatness of American Exceptionalism has emerged to counter this negativity.  Not even disaster will bring us down.  But then I suspect that after Irma becomes a memory, the anarchists will return to their normal attack on America.  What part of American culture will they demand be removed next?  How soon will they be back trying to claim collusion?  Bring it on!  You will never win.  American is greater than you.

Just spray the confederate statues with positively charged slime; and play some Jackie Wilson.

• Like 3

Some of my more religious-y Facebook friends have been posting end of the world stuff because of all the fires, hurricanes and the earthquake in Mexico.  I figured it was still a bit early for the political finger pointing aspects, but I guess it must be starting otherwise this thread would be unnecessary.

• Like 3

What's currently happening all over The Americas is horrid. It's only benefit will be to unite those who need help and can help.

The events are just incredible to see from here. And I'm Australian. We love our sunburnt country. We thrive on the weather extremes, but this is next level.

My heart truly goes out to everyone effected. Mother nature is an evil mistress.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

still a bit early for the political finger pointing aspects,

The professor from Tampa should have made the error in your thinking, clear. These days, it's never too early to make a political connection to any event, tragic or otherwise where blame might be magically shivved off on Trump. 

• Like 3

A number of Christian leaders have blamed LGBT people for causing Hurricane Harvey.

So perhaps we should just recognize that the fringe will always be nuttier than most , rather than pouncing on everything the fringe says and casting everyone on the other side in the light of those comments 

• Like 5

FWIW I felt sorry for Donnie Turnip, he tweeted support (the now infamous "Federal G" tweet) and gets castigated for it. The head of the country saying "don't worry folks, we got your back" should be reassuring not fodder for mockery, no matter how poorly worded that support was.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

FWIW I felt sorry for Donnie Turnip, he tweeted support (the now infamous "Federal G" tweet) and gets castigated for it. The head of the country saying "don't worry folks, we got your back" should be reassuring not fodder for mockery, no matter how poorly worded that support was.

I hadnt heard about that so I had to look it up. 

I agree it should have been reassuring. 

• Like 1

I have to say I was bewildered and amazed to read that there are people who think thoughts, evil or otherwise, can affect the weather.  How sad is that?  

On a positive note, my daughter and family, living as ex-pats due to work commitments, in Houston have been overwhelmed by the support, emotional and practical, they have received from people in their locality and from farther afield in the aftermath of Harvey and the flooding of their home.  I am grateful on their behalf and want to thank all those who have stepped up to the plate in these sort of situations and helped one another.

• Like 6

Looting isn't very neighbourly ...........

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Natural disasters and the American Spirit
6 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Or gay people : Gay people to blame for Hurricane Harvey, say evangelical Christian leaders

So perhaps we should just recognize that the fringe will always be nuttier than most , rather than pouncing on everything the fringe says and casting everyone on the other side in the light of those comments 

Those are two sides of the coin, mirror images. The totalitarian left (distinguish that from "liberal" which does not accurately describe them, and is unfair to actual liberals) has become every bit as religious as the old religious right: they have their own heresies, blasphemies, sacred objects, unquestionable truths, dogma, and adhere to a black-and-white world view of ultimate good versus ultimate evil.

• Like 7

Hopefully, what we will see is government being held accountable for purposeful inaction. It's their job to know better and to protect constituents. 

I think it deserves mentioning, too, that although I don't agree with what the professor said...

It seems to me that when neo-Nazis spout off, the right is like...oh free speech! 

When a professor spouts off (and I'm not surprised he did because of where he lives), they'd probably like him lynched. Certainly fired. Although we live in an age where even the President doesn't have to think before he tweets. 

• Like 2

The public response to these disasters has thrown a BIG wrench in the MSM narrative. "Racists" doing the vast majority of helping, carrying black babies, plucking all nationalities out of the water in their lifted pickup trucks..

As horrifying as the physical damage has been, the damage to the those who seek to divide us may be even worse. 

• Like 2

Here's my personal 2 cents on the subject. Hurricanes are not caused by the political left or right, or people of the 'wrong' religion, or a decline in social values/morals, or any specific human action or inaction that can be definitively/scientifically proven. Hurricanes are weather, hurricanes are natural disasters that have been present upon the Earth since before recorded history. Attempting to point the finger of blame toward any group or individual is not only inaccurate but highly unhelpful for those attempting to deal with the tragic results of a natural disaster. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Kismit said:

What's currently happening all over The Americas is horrid. It's only benefit will be to unite those who need help and can help.

The events are just incredible to see from here. And I'm Australian. We love our sunburnt country. We thrive on the weather extremes, but this is next level.

My heart truly goes out to everyone effected. Mother nature is an evil mistress.

Oh, we'll be fine, but thanks for that! 

You guys had some pretty massive flooding down there just couple of years ago, didn't you?

The USA has had a very unusual break from Hurricanes of this sort for over a decade now, we normally get hit with one of two a year, so we were due for a season like this.  

Overdue, statistically speaking.  B)

4 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I think it deserves mentioning, too, that although I don't agree with what the professor said...

It seems to me that when neo-Nazis spout off, the right is like...oh free speech! 

When a professor spouts off (and I'm not surprised he did because of where he lives), they'd probably like him lynched. Certainly fired. Although we live in an age where even the President doesn't have to think before he tweets. 

This isn't really worth mentioning because the left does the same thing.    It goes both ways.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Hopefully, what we will see is government being held accountable for purposeful inaction. It's their job to know better and to protect constituents. 

Purposeful inaction? Trump seems to have handled it well

The survey, conducted by Economist/YouGov, found that 55% of Americans somewhat or strongly approve of how Trump has handled Harvey, while only 29% somewhat or strongly disapproved.
[...]
"The public response is not just a partisan one — more than a third of Democrats praise the government’s reaction," Kathy Frankovic wrote in YouGov. "These are very different responses from those recorded in CBS News polls conducted in 2005 shortly after Hurricane Katrina. Three in four then thought the government could have done a better job in the days following the storm, and 80% thought it could have responded faster."

5 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Do you have any examples? I've been watching this closely since the Berkley riots but I don't recall any public support for Neo-Nazis. If you want examples of death threats (and attempted murders,) coming from the fringe Left, I got plenty.

Edited by Dark_Grey
Who was President in 2005? Truman?
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Purposeful inaction? Trump seems to have handled it better than Obama handled Katrina.

I agree. Trump has been very proactive in the response to these disasters. I'd love to hear the justification for coming to the conclusion that he has been purposely inactive.

But, Obama wasn't president during Katrina. :P

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I agree. Trump has been very proactive in the response to these disasters. I'd love to hear the justification for coming to the conclusion that he has been purposely inactive.

But, Obama wasn't president during Katrina. :P

That's my bad for half paying attention lol 2005 is not exactly 2008 :blink:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Purposeful inaction? Trump seems to have handled it better than Obama handled Katrina

I've actually seen a lot of this comparison going on in various chats.  (With the accompanying ridicule) https://www.good.is/articles/obama-wasnt-president-during-katrina

But, it does illustrate how people distort history based on personal bias.   

• Like 3

Just now, Gromdor said:

I've actually seen a lot of this comparison going on in various chats.  (With the accompanying ridicule) https://www.good.is/articles/obama-wasnt-president-during-katrina

But, it does illustrate how people distort history based on personal bias.   

I actually corrected someone on this a few days ago and yet here I am, posting without thinking. 

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Trump's Admin's reaction to the hurricanes should be judged on it's own merits. For the people of Houston, I doubt they care who the President is as long as he's responding effectively

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

We all have brain farts. :lol:

• Like 1