Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Random beliefs.

nephili

I cant say I have any regular superstitions I follow but on game days when my team is playing I will have the weirdest things pop up. For example the Cleveland Indians (my baseball team) are on a 19 game winning streak. Today I went to put on my Indians hat and realized I hadnt worn it during the winning streak and I couldnt bring myself to put it on or I KNEW I would jinx the streak. 

My view on superstition is that it is a type of 'peasant' folklore handed down in families from generation to generation and imbibed at an emotional level by children who take it into their adulthood.

I was conditioned as a child not to walk under ladders or put shoes on a table. An itchy hand meant I was going to come into money and an itchy ear meant someone was talking about me. If I passed a cemetery I had to bless myself for protection.

As a black-haired child my father used send me to the neighbours houses as soon as the New Year was rung in - it was bad luck to a house if the first visitor to cross its threshold was a redhead!

As an engineer I laugh at these but the emotional conditioning associated with them still causes a little shiver whenever I decide to go against them, and it does take a mental effort to challenge these superstitions.

• Like 2