Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australians urged to eat more kangaroo meat

Still Waters

KANGAROOS are overrunning Australia and the population of the marsupials is double that of humans.

New government data shows Australia’s kangaroo population is close to hitting 50 million.

In 2016, there were almost 45 million kangaroos in Australia, compared to about 27 million in 2010.

It’s understood the huge rise in numbers in recent years is mainly due to environmental conditions; high rainfall has resulted in more food.

Experts are now encouraging people to hunt the Australian native animal and eat more kangaroo meat.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/experts-warn-australians-need-to-eat-more-kangaroos-as-the-marsupials-population-booms/news-story/9465175b998f4b88b505997b086603e1

• Like 2

I didnt know u can eat them

• Like 1

I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons; reducing animal farming and animal suffering. I do enjoy the eating of meat. However I can see how I could overcome my ethical issues by eating various pest/overpopulated animals. These animals would have lived a natural life before being killed. I think I could thoroughly enjoy a kangaroo burger right now. In fact, maybe I should see if any restaurant in my area offers kangaroo burgers. In my area there is a type of invasive fish that is a great worry at this time. Let's exploit that by catching them and someone offering the most attractive way of preparing them for people food. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I think I could thoroughly enjoy a kangaroo burger right now. In fact, maybe I should see if any restaurant in my area offers kangaroo burgers.

My internet search just ended in failure, shucks:angry:. Why are people so enculturated with the concept of what animals are normal and not-normal to eat? Boy, am I mad right now but I will go out soon for my Chinese tofu dish. Would have loved a kangaroo burger heavy on the fixings.

24 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't have any desire to ever try kangaroo meat.

looks pretty good actually

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Are kangaroos tasty?

My guess is that it all depends on the cook :P  BUT... if you garnished the plate with Koala, it would be tres Magnifique   :w00t:

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I don't have any desire to ever try kangaroo meat.

I'd take a whack at it. I eat a lot of deer meat. If it really is similar tasting I bet it would be really good.

• Like 3

There are many dog food brands that contain kangaroo meat. Perhaps more brands should offer a kangaroo meat formula as it's good for those with food allergies.

14 minutes ago, Nonentity said:

There are many dog food brands that contain kangaroo meat. Perhaps more brands should offer a kangaroo meat formula as it's good for those with food allergies.

My folks told me a story when I was young I got into a box of milk bones and loved them :blink: Years later I thought what the hell try them again, not so good. The cheese one was the best 

Now I really want to try kangaroo never had that before, deer,elk,buffalo,crocodile,moose,bison even snake and a bunch of weird stuff from the sea.. All pretty good, I even ate a gopher once when me and bud's were out shooting I was about  12, ya my folks let me camping by myself back then, don't eat gopher. We also caught minnows using an old Safeway bag and cooked them up and ate them whole, heads brains and guts. Don't do that either. ;)

Iv'e seen the kangaroo meat in the supermarkets. Iv'e never eaten it, and I don't intend to. I just can't envision myself eating these guys.

images_31.jpg

images_33.jpg

Also, seeing that the population of roo's have grown. It now gives the city warrior red necks more of a reason to go outback and shoot them just for the fun of it. It's sickening. 

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Iv'e seen the kangaroo meat in the supermarkets. Iv'e never eaten it, and I don't intend to. I just can't envision myself eating these guys.

images_31.jpg

images_33.jpg

Also, seeing that the population of roo's have grown. It now gives the city warrior red necks more of a reason to go outback and shoot them just for the fun of it. It's sickening. 

I wouldn't want to eat Skippy, either.                                  

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I would[n't] want to eat Skippy, either.   (fixed that for ya)                               

:tu:

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Astra. said:

:tu:

Thanks, ma'am. The editing software is giving me fits, lately.;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lilly said:

Are kangaroos tasty?

I love kangaroo meat. Leaner than steak, a bit cheaper, available in all good supermarkets. Very rich meat and not too gamey and good for the environment.

Very tender and juicy if cooked properly, a bit of cracked salt/pepper and olive oil on a hot grill, medium rare!

If overcooked though, can be very tough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timonthy said:

I love kangaroo meat. Leaner than steak, a bit cheaper, available in all good supermarkets. Very rich meat and not too gamey and good for the environment.

Very tender and juicy if cooked properly, a bit of cracked salt/pepper and olive oil on a hot grill, medium rare!

If overcooked though, can be very tough.

Sounds like venison, all right. 

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sounds like venison, all right. 

I've only had venison a few times, but yeah it is similar! Definitely worth a try.

There's probably not enough hunters in Australia to even put a significant dent in the kangaroo birth/death ratio. We have the same problem here with a burgeoning population of feral swine and wild boar.

18 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

I've only had venison a few times, but yeah it is similar! Definitely worth a try.

The only marsupial we have here and is eaten is the Opossum. It tastes something like rabbit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The only marsupial we have here and is eaten is the Opossum. It tastes something like rabbit.

Well this thread made me crave kangaroo, so I picked some up on the way home.

Just found out that my parrot likes it too! 

:clap:

• Like 1

I had a kangaroo burger that I bought st a stall on a Christmas market in Liverpool a few years ago.