Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cowboys

Matt221

A tough old cowboy from Texas one day told his granddaughter that if she wanted to live a long life, the secret was to sprinkle a pinch of gun powder on her oatmeal every morning.

The granddaughter did this religiously until the age of 103, when she died.

She left behind 14 children, 30 grandchildren, 45 great-grandchildren, 25 great-great-grandchildren, and a 40-foot hole where the crematorium used to be

• Like 5

• Like 3

On September 13, 2017 at 3:27 AM, Hammerclaw said:

Cowboys are an urban fantasy first propagated  by dime novelists and lurid magazines, then Hollywood. Real cowboys were cattle herders, of every stripe and color, mostly the dregs of society who couldn't find any other work. They worked hard, suffered great deprivation and were poorly paid. "Cowboy" was a term of derision and contempt. Not everyone who rode a horse packing a six shooter and a rifle was a cowboy. Most would have taken offense being called one. 

Nowadays, many semi-pro cowboys are in else ways professionals, e.g. lawyers and veterinarians, and celebrities think their riding cutting horses chic.  Most of them and many world champion cowboys do not, however, train their own horses.  And, while many classifications might be made between drug store cowboys and ranch hands, my definition of an all-around horseman is one who not only breeds, raises, trains and uses horses for ranch purposes but successfully competes in related events.

On September 13, 2017 at 3:07 AM, ouija ouija said:

Of course, I'm much too old to have fantasies now but when I did, they usually took place in cowboy country with a tall, skinny cowboy who always kept his Stetson on. :D 

Most of the :rolleyes: ropers whom I know consider most desirable any gal who is willing to work cattle chutes and/or keep books during competitions.

serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fs-media-cache

I <3 solar-powered gate openers :wub:.

-----------------------------------------------

• serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcS9u4C6Dc1D-sP3bs4lqP0YtXR2LF1agBz8yUaueMI-WMaRV4he&sp=0e85a400144d2ba70d79a741f6f9df9f&anticache=464947

And something my trailer-hauling cowboy had best not need today is a

serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F31%2F03%2F1d%2F31031db5e9c1d1c6905f7703b1f348e1.jpg&sp=f7f065b9d3ed970a5483274c0bca82d8

:P Of course, his spotless driving record also speaks for itself.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 4