Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery US aircraft crashes in Nevada desert

UM-Bot

54 minutes ago, Stiff said:

They're going to look a right set of pillocks and anybody who laid money out in advancement for orders are not going to be happy bunnies.

I haven't seen the word 'Pillock' for years, thanks for that, it reminds me of home. I think it's all about getting contracts signed, once signed they're very difficult to get out of. If someone had laid down a very large deposit on some F35s and they admitted it was an F35 that crashed killing the pilot, the customer is certainly not going to be a happy bunny, they might want their money back.

20 hours ago, AlterScape said:

sn't this close to Area 51/S4?

I believe so. That's what area 51/S4 are for.

• 4 weeks later...

The Sep 18 - Oct 1 2017 edition of Aviation Week and Space Technology reports:

...appears to have involved a foreign aircraft type operated by the service's secretive Red Hat unit...

(page 10, 'First Take' column)

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2017 at 9:06 AM, Abaddonire said:

So not from google, then. From Russia Today, Putin's organ. 

As I said, there's lots of info like this on the F35... check it out.

2 hours ago, Occams Razor said:

As I said, there's lots of info like this on the F35... check it out.

I have to agree that the F-35 programme has lots of issues.... but pretty much every aircraft does (to some degree). For example, the F-22 suffered / suffers from the OBOGS issues, as does the F/A-18G. We wouldn't turn down an offer of F-22s and we haven't cancelled the Growler order.

The MRH90 has a list of problems... but we are sticking with them (but do note we went with the MH-60R rather than the NFH90).

The EC665 / ARH has numerous issues... but we still fly them, as do a number of countries.

Will the F-35 be 'a dud'? I don't know. That being said, I do know that a lot of aircraft that paved the way in development - and had to face the issues associated with being a ground-breaker - turned out to be fantastic.

Another example could be the B-47: swept wing, radical design, successful cold war warrior... but it had numerous shortcomings that would kill the unwary airman.

• 1 month later...

This whole area is shrouded in secrecy as the US Military's top facility for the development and evaluation of new aircraft technology and defence projects. It is comprised of Nellis Air Force Range, the Nevada Test site and sitting on the Northern border of this test range is of course Area 51. So anything secret and intended to be out of the public eye will be here and has been for a very long time.

Notable alumni include the U-2 Dragon Lady spy plane made famous by the Gary Powers incident when he was shot down in this very aircraft over Russia, and later the A-12 project which became known later by its more iconic title of the SR-71 Blackbird. Both aircraft commissioned by the CIA, so secrecy was built into the Lockheed projects from the start, the A-12 / SR-71 was obviously made in response to Powers being shot down in the slower U-2 and the CIA requiring a much faster undetectable aircraft to carry on their clandestine activities.

Later examples extensively tested at the range where of course the F-117 Stealth Fighter (which is ironically not a fighter) and the massively expensive B-2 Spirit bomber. both furthering the low detectability programs to become the virtually radar invisible aircraft that stunned the world when they appeared in action over Iraq and other conflicts around that era.

It is known that extensive testing was carried out also on two competing fighter designs over this area, the YF-23 Black Widow and YF-22 Raptor, the latter being the winner of that ATF contest.

Plus many others that we see today such as the F-35 etc.

Obviously these aircraft are all seen every day and are now widely recognizable by most people but they were all secret defence projects at one time or another, the longer they keep these projects secret, the longer it takes their adversaries to match their technology and indeed develop countermeasures for them which gives them the edge on the battlefield, so this premise leads to such a vast and incredibly secret area existing.

Of course with the UFO question hanging over Area 51 it is easy for people to assume that it is all for the protection of UFO secrets, when in fact those defences are protecting the defence secrets of a nation, of course (as an open minded person on the UFO question), if the DID possess recovered alien technology, this would be the place to store and test it, which is a total no brainer as nothing is more secure. But ultimately whatever goes on their the majority of it is just creating the next generation of aircraft to keep the US ahead of the game in the skies above any combat theatre. ALSO any captured foreign aircraft are usually evaluated here also to give them an insight into their adversaries and their technology.

Probably sounds like a pointless lesson I wrote above but just trying to put it in a wider context really, of course they aren't going to comment on what it is as clearly he must have been flying the next evolution of aircraft technology, or flying a standard recognizable aircraft containing secret technology, with the airframe being used as a test bed.

Either way we aren't going to learn a great deal more than that I fear until they are ready to unveil the aircraft to the world, for now all we can do is send our condolences to the family of Colonel Eric Schultz, and leave it at that.

Not so much an Unexplained Mystery, more of a glimpse of what is inevitable going on all the time within that shrouded area of the US

• Like 1