Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

State of the European Union

Ozymandias

Juncker lays out a roadmap for Europe's immediate future. He said:

'My hope is that on 30 March 2019, Europeans will wake up to a Union where we all stand by our values. Where all Member States firmly respect the rule of law. Where being a full member of the euro area, the Banking Union and the Schengen area has become the norm for all EU Member States. Where we have shored up the foundations of our Economic and Monetary Union so that we can defend our single currency in good times and bad, without having to call on external help. Where our single market will be fairer towards workers from the East and from the West. Where we managed to agree on a strong pillar of social standards. Where profits will be taxed where they were made. Where terrorists have no loopholes to exploit. Where we have agreed on a proper European Defence Union. Where a single President leads the work of the Commission and the European Council, having been elected after a democratic Europe-wide election campaign.'

See link: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-17-3165_en.htm 

PS: For those who believe Brexit is of major consequence to Europe and is shaking it to its foundations it makes sobering reading. He says virtually nothing about the UK, only the following:

'On 29 March 2019, the United Kingdom will leave the European Union. This will be a very sad and tragic moment. We will always regret it. But we have to respect the will of the British people.'

He says virtually nothing about the UK

Of course, this isn't a problem. The UK voted to leave. That's the outcome we want. I don't think the British people mind too much if the UK isn't a preoccupation in Brussels. This is the way it should be. The British people voted out. 

As for Drunker Juncker he is, of course, deluded. I'm actually starting to get a tad concerned over his mental health. Seriously.

Edited by Black Monk

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Where a single President leads the work of the Commission and the European Council

And that, in a nutshell, is why we voted to leave.

But if it's what you really, really, want..... you're welcome to President Blair.

5 minutes ago, Essan said:

But if it's what you really, really, want..... you're welcome to President Blair.

Will the president actually be democratically elected this time or will he still be unelected like the half dozen or so that there are now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

Essan, you selectively quoted only the first part of the sentence and left out the bit that followed, which I highlight in bold:-

'Where a single President leads the work of the Commission and the European Council, having been elected after a democratic Europe-wide election campaign.'

Edited by Ozymandias

There was an article in a newspaper thismorning... apparently Herr Junkers made a speech encouraging EU expansion into the Balkans. More significantly, however, he suggested that the EU 'constitution' could be changed to allow "majority" voting within the Council for future expansions.. rather than unanimity.

In other words, countries could enter the union against the wishes of existing member states.

Thank god we're leaving !

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

There was an article in a newspaper thismorning... apparently Herr Junkers made a speech encouraging EU expansion into the Balkans. More significantly, however, he suggested that the EU 'constitution' could be changed to allow "majority" voting within the Council for future expansions.. rather than unanimity.

In other words, countries could enter the union against the wishes of existing member states.

Turkey will be joining soon, and that large Islamic country would then be the largest and most dominant state in the Union (its rapidly-growing population is about to overtake shrinking Germany's). The EU would be led by an Islamic state whose government supports Islamism.

And there'll also be 80-odd million Muslims free to roam wherever they want within the EU.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Turkey will be joining soon, and that large Islamic country would then be the largest and most dominant state in the Union (its rapidly-growing population is about to overtake shrinking Germany's). The EU would be led by an Islamic state whose government supports Islamism.

And there'll also be 80-odd million Muslims free to roam wherever they want within the EU.

Spoken in true ignorance. You obviously don't research your subject very well, and you certainly did not read Juncker's speech that I posted in my OP above. With specific regard to Turkey he said, and I quote:

'It is clear that there will be no further enlargement during the mandate of this Commission and this Parliament. No candidate is ready yet. But thereafter the European Union will be greater than 27 in number. Accession candidates must give the rule of law, justice and fundamental rights utmost priority.

This rules out EU membership for Turkey for the foreseeable future.

Turkey has been taking giant strides away from the European Union for some time.

Journalists belong in newsrooms not in prisons. They belong where freedom of expression reigns.

The call I make to those in power in Turkey is this: Let our journalists go. And not just them either. Stop insulting our Member States by comparing their leaders to fascists and Nazis. Europe is a continent of mature democracies. Insults create roadblocks. Sometimes I get the feeling Turkey is intentionally placing these roadblocks so that it can blame Europe for any breakdown in accession talks.'

I suppose this is a classic case of letting blind prejudice and willful ignorance get in the way of a knowledge and understanding of the facts.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

That is normal for democracy. Usually the majority vote dictates policy. It happened in Britain last year when 52% of the electorate - nearly the smallest theoretically possible majority - are now determining the future direction of the UK - should I say the Disunited Kingdom - and dictating to the 48% minority. 

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Just now, Ozymandias said:

cancel

Edited by Ozymandias

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

Turkey will be joining soon

You must have been on hibernation the last years as that would be the only explanation for such a stupid claim.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

That is normal for democracy. Usually the majority vote dictates policy. It happened in Britain last year when 52% of the electorate - nearly the smallest theoretically possible majority - are now determining the future direction of the UK - should I say the Disunited Kingdom - and dictating to the 48% minority. 

What do you want? The 48% dictating to the 52%? Britain is the greatest democracy in Europe, if not the world, and in our country with out proper functioning democracy the majority wins and dictates to the minority.

Plus, "the 48%" no longer exist. It's probably more around 25% now.

Edited by Black Monk

6 minutes ago, toast said:

You must have been on hibernation the last years as that would be the only explanation for such a stupid claim.

The Leave side were told by the Remoaners during the EU referendum that the Leavers' claim that the EU wants to create a single EU Army was a load of old rubbish.

Now we learn that Juncker wants to set up a single EU army.

4 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Britain is the greatest democracy in Europe, if not the world,

You are telling big nonsense again. Check the facts first to avoid to look like a dunce.

5 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

The Leave side were told by the Remoaners during the EU referendum that the Leavers' claim that the EU wants to create a single EU Army was a load of old rubbish. Now we learn that Juncker wants to set up a single EU army.

And what exactly has that comment to do with Turkey ?

12 minutes ago, toast said:

You are telling big nonsense again. 

No, I'm not.

Britain is far more democratic than any European country - certainly Germany - and has been for a long time.

Most other countries in Europe seem to not quite get the whole democracy palaver, even today.

12 minutes ago, toast said:

The fact that Drunker Juncker says one thing one minute and then another the next.

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Spoken in true ignorance. You obviously don't research your subject very well, and you certainly did not read Juncker's speech that I posted in my OP above. With specific regard to Turkey he said, and I quote:

'It is clear that there will be no further enlargement during the mandate of this Commission and this Parliament. No candidate is ready yet. But thereafter the European Union will be greater than 27 in number. Accession candidates must give the rule of law, justice and fundamental rights utmost priority.

This rules out EU membership for Turkey for the foreseeable future.....

Well, until 2019 when the 9th. Parliament is elected. So the "forseeable future" is only 2 years away. 

47 minutes ago, toast said:

It DOES say something about the state of the EU, which is what this thread is about :) 

The EU is continuing to attempt to take on all of the institutions and trappings of a European SuperState. 

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

It is normal for a democracy IN A NATION STATE. But the EU is not SUPPOSED to be a Nation State, and changing from unanimity to majority voting for accession talks is a significant shift of power FROM the individual Nations, and TO the European Council.

The state of the Union speech by the EU President was brilliant, he played to the gallery and hit all the right notes. - what else were people expecting? the truth!

I watched the full speech and as a Brexiteer i wish the EU well, - I'd encourage other Brexiteers to wish the EU well for the future and hope every single one of the policies mentioned in the address by the EU President Jean Claude Juncker come to fruition.

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

No, I'm not.

Britain is far more democratic than any European country - certainly Germany - and has been for a long time.

Most other countries in Europe seem to not quite get the whole democracy palaver, even today.

You claimed Britain to be the greatest democracy in Europe, if not the world, and that claim is nonsense. If I should be wrong, pls explain your claim more specific.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

It DOES say something about the state of the EU, which is what this thread is about :)

Thats right but the response by BlackMonk to one of my posts, thats wasnt related to Turkey in any kind, wasnt related to my comment.

The EU is continuing to attempt to take on all of the institutions and trappings of a European SuperState. 

Whats wrong about a conglomeration of countries with common targets in politics, environment protection, trade, development,education, R&D and peacekeeping in general?

...Whats wrong about a conglomeration of countries with common targets in politics, environment protection, trade, development,education, R&D and peacekeeping in general?

Common targets, by all means. I hope that our future relationship with the EU will accord with that phillosophy. 

HOWEVER... when "targets" are imposed, as the EU is increasingly doing, then they are no longer "common".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Essan, you selectively quoted only the first part of the sentence and left out the bit that followed, which I highlight in bold:-

'Where a single President leads the work of the Commission and the European Council, having been elected after a democratic Europe-wide election campaign.'

Yes, but only because I honestly dont think it makes any difference.

And what happens when everyone in Germany, Spain and France vote for one candidate, and those in all the other countries vote for another?  Some folk wont be happy ;) 

(theoretical - and I havent actually checked populations - but hopefully you get the jist.  Just look at America!)