Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guardian angel ?

UM-Bot

Sounds like the man was saved by his subconscious. While he doesn't remember seeing the truck he did see it and his involuntary subconscious reaction and the drivers quick response saved the day.  

If we had to wait for a conscious decision to be made before every action taken we would be a very slow species that is incredibly bad at avoiding dangerous situations.  To test yourself try thinking about every step you take when walking, you'll find you are more prone to tripping and falling the more attention you give to it.  Some actions are just better left to the 'other' you.

• Like 3

I believe Harold's having his "head buried in a magazine" was exactly what prompted him to write this story.  

I actually had a similar situation involving someone else. I was sitting on my bike at a crossing, and was waiting for the light to go green for me before I crossed. I was looking left, idling there a couple of minutes, and eventually saw that the light was green for me, now. But there was still traffic passing (people running the lights as usual). After the last couple of cars went past I had to wait yet again because a cyclist was running the light too. Just like in your story, I shouted STOP at him so loudly that it made everyone jump, even me. Normally I don't mouth off at bad drivers and cyclists unless they're messing with me directly, so this was already odd. The cyclist slammed on his brakes and stopped just before a set of tram tracks at the crossing. Literally at the same moment, a speeding tram came out of nowhere, from the right - the direction I hadn't been looking to - and cut past him on the tracks, so close he could have touched it without much effort. If I'd not shouted, he wouldn't have stopped and that tram would have slammed into him.

What struck me afterward was that I had no idea why I shouted. I wasn't that annoyed about him running the light, he was far from me and I couldn't see that he was in any danger. It was a near-simultaneous premonition, which is what probably happened with you.

Edited by krone
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, krone said:

It was a near-simultaneous premonition, which is what probably happened with you.

This is still your subconscious. You may not have seen the tram but they are hardly silent and you can 'feel' the electricity as they approach (if close).

You brain identified the danger before your conscious mind could process it. It sends a 'request' for the brain to take action, in this case to shout a warning to another member of your social group.

Your conscious mind knows you shouted but can't reconcile it with having made a decision. In essence it appears you acted before you thought but it's an illusion.

Interesting factoid:

Did you know you live at least 2 tenths of a second in the past? This is roughly the time it takes to process visual signals in the brain. You process audio quicker so in order to synchronise the world your brain creates a delay. In times of urgency your brain can override the system. This is why we use starting guns in track sports and not starting lights. Light travels faster than sound but this is negligible compared to the time it takes the brain to process the signals.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On October 14, 2017 at 6:59 PM, mdenise said:

Dear mdenise,

Previously, I have mentioned both first and second hand accounts of time slips wherein I and others report vehicles suddenly vanishing from one location and/or instantly reappearing elsewhere.  Such instances seem impossible and sound crazy, unless one has experienced or witnessed such an event.  You and I were fortunate to be accompanied by another person whom recalled the same occurrence(s).

Time slips cannot be scientifically explained.  Inexplicably, the automobile must either travel at the speed of light or, in some other way, undergo a dimensional shift-- time itself is considered the 4th dimension.

There are definitions of parallel universes, e.g. by Brian Greene, that suggest how such transitions might take place.  Knowledge about alternate uninverses, 5-dimensional geometries and/or theories of relativity might help you come to a better understanding of such things that, nonetheless, remain mysteries.  Hence, as persons of faith, I don't understand why you cannot accept the fact that what you described was a miracle.

Yes, I understand White Crane Feather's "faith [being] shaken when great tragedies occur."  But, knowing none of us is immune to suffering and all of us are eventually going to die, I trust that we are all provided grounds for faith in the miraculous before, upon death, we are called to surrender ourselves entirely to God.  The more in Him you trust now, the easier it will be later.

0:-) MGby&yours.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...
The middle of nowhere Iowa is actually a real place, I love that

On 9/13/2017 at 10:39 AM, I'mConvinced said:

Sounds like the man was saved by his subconscious. While he doesn't remember seeing the truck he did see it and his involuntary subconscious reaction and the drivers quick response saved the day.  

If we had to wait for a conscious decision to be made before every action taken we would be a very slow species that is incredibly bad at avoiding dangerous situations.  To test yourself try thinking about every step you take when walking, you'll find you are more prone to tripping and falling the more attention you give to it.  Some actions are just better left to the 'other' you.

How a real "vision quest" works is your so down in the dumps you create a "subconscious thoughtform" which acts as a friend and advisor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

How a real "vision quest" works is your so down in the dumps you create a "subconscious thoughtform" which acts as a friend and advisor. 

I have done that on many occasions.   I am in a room full of people.  I am the speaker and I tell the room my 'problems'.  Then I ask the room, Is there anyone here that has a solution?  

From the back of the room this quiet guy raises his hand...it's always me.  And I tell me what the solution is.  And then I do it.  It's kind of amazing actually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, joc said:

I have done that on many occasions.   I am in a room full of people.  I am the speaker and I tell the room my 'problems'.  Then I ask the room, Is there anyone here that has a solution?  

From the back of the room this quiet guy raises his hand...it's always me.  And I tell me what the solution is.  And then I do it.  It's kind of amazing actually. 

I just noticed the claimant's last name is "Battschitz".....yeah....I'm now leaving here....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Piney said:

I just noticed the claimant's last name is "Battschitz".....yeah....I'm now leaving here....

I knew a family in Coal Harbour. Their last name was Hole. The two brothers were named Harry, and Doug, with a sister named Merry. I remarked to Harry one day that I would have loved to have met his dad. His answer was "He was a real joker."🤣 Absolutely true story.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

I knew a family in Coal Harbour. Their last name was Hole. The two brothers were named Harry, and Doug, with a sister named Merry. I remarked to Harry one day that I would have loved to have met his dad. His answer was "He was a real joker."🤣 Absolutely true story.

I knew a woman named Anita Byrd. I thought her parents needed to be shot for putting her through that. Seriously....how stupid can you be? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, joc said:

Congratulation, you figured out how god/s work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2