Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fear of death

pallidin

What is this fear of death?

A fear of permanent non-existence?

One thing that helps is children. A continuation, in part, of yourself.

Powerful.

Part of self-preservation

If you believe in life after death there is no need to be afraid, if there is no life after death , you won't know about it so there is no point worrying about it as we all have to face it either way.

• Like 4

“You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner… you’re in one!”

So says Captain Hector Barbossa in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I have rarely enjoyed a Hollywood line more than this one. It’s creepy. It’s ironic. It’s humorous. But most of all, it’s true.

Once upon a time, (like you perhaps?) I believed myself to be a single individual of an advanced ape-like species living in a solid, somewhat clockwork universe. I say “clockwork” because this existence seemed regulated by chain-reactions and set in a framework called Time. I say “somewhat” because the whole thing was always a little fuzzy around the edges. Like I was being forced to concentrate on a single character in a play I had not written. I had a beginning that I could not remember and would face an ending that I could not predict. Sound and fury, signifying nothing and rounded with a sleep. (Sorry. Bard-o moment!)

Just about every religion and belief system in the world holds to the idea of some kind of afterlife. Heaven or hell; reincarnation; tunnels and white lights. Even some atheists express a hope that their “energy” might continue on in some different form.

Most people know they are going to die. Since very few of them know what will happen to them afterwards, they avoid thinking about it. There is fear. There is hope. But mostly, there is ignorance.

When I was a young man and newly Enlightened, I would drive my friends crazy with my detachment. More than once they feared me suicidal because I would so often give away my possessions. “Dude,” they would say, “you need to come down to earth and quit trying to see everything from God’s point of view!”

So I tried. I walked the common path. Son; student; worker; husband; father. Many adventures, few regrets. However, as Oliver Holmes once so rightly observed, “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.”

I am no different or better than any other single individual of this advanced ape-like species. I’ve merely climbed a little higher than most so my horizon goes a bit farther out. I can tell you what I see out there though. There is no death. There is no afterlife. There is no spirit world that follows this physical world. There is only the spirit world. An endless Dream where you call the shots (or don’t) according to your own will. What happens when you “die”? Whatever you want.

How scary is that?

So you best start believing in ghosts, Pallidin… You are one!

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:00 AM, pallidin said:

Powerful.

I fear pain, not death.

18 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

If you believe in life after death there is no need to be afraid, if there is no life after death , you won't know about it so there is no point worrying about it as we all have to face it either way.

Technically speaking, if there is life after death, there is the possibility of even greater pain one could experience beyond the grave (best expressed through belief in Hell). Therefore there is at least the potential for even greater fear of death by believing in an afterlife, then there is in belief that death is the end.

Of course, belief in heavenly paradise beyond death does indeed eliminate fear, so I do get your point. ;)

6 hours ago, Perdurabo said:

“You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner… you’re in one!”

So says Captain Hector Barbossa in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I have rarely enjoyed a Hollywood line more than this one. It’s creepy. It’s ironic. It’s humorous. But most of all, it’s true.

So you best start believing in ghosts, Pallidin… You are one!

agreeing-barbossa-agreed.jpg

P.S. - Love the avatar. ;) I'm a strong FFVII fan myself.

• Like 2

On 09/14/2017 at 0:17 PM, Essan said:

It's not death I fear, it's what happens just before ;) 

Agreed. The thought if being physically unable to draw breath and panicing right before the last and greatest headrush is utterly mortifying.

Im hoping for a massive stroke or heart attack...that or one of North Korea's missles! Something quick before I can feel pain, lots of pain because pain hurts.

• Like 3

On 09/16/2017 at 1:19 AM, Adampadum123 said:

Don't fear the inevitable embrace life 

IMHO this kind of pithy zen fridgemaget statement is no help to someone who is dying. Fear of death is both an important and natural psychological instinct.

• Like 2

I don't think about my mortality much, as I'm only 38 years old.  But that will likely change once I'm well into my 50s.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MainerMikeBrown said:

I don't think about my mortality much, as I'm only 38 years old.  But that will likely change once I'm well into my 50s.

If you are lucky. Some of us are forced to face their own mortality every single day. For me it's been the last 22 years. I'm 41.

I will likely die long before I reach the average life expectancy for my peers and it's unlikely to be quick or painless.

I don't think there is an aspect to death I haven't agonised over at some point. Then, one day, I just felt at peace with it all. Science has shown me the way but it's a personal journey for each of us. My best advice is to form you own beliefs regarding death, nobody knows so your idea is just as good as the next.

• Like 4

I would think that, being consciously alive as a human being is the rarest event in the universe. It's just our biology that causes our death, so death is an unfortunate biological event that has not other significance than the end this rare occurrence. At the moment of death we may look at our life and say, "What was that?" Just an event of the universe. Rare, but something that just happens occasionally. Thanks, universe, it was kind of nice while it lasted. 

• Like 4

On 9/14/2017 at 7:00 AM, pallidin said:

It doesn't make sense to fear non-experiencing. I think it is more knowing the fleeting temporainess of everything we.hold dear and attach ourselves to. And then the aging process, not pretty, and it is knowing the best is not ahead. 

On 9/14/2017 at 7:00 AM, pallidin said:

Small consultation maybe but soon everyone that ever knew us personally will be nonexistent. What became of our great-grandparents memory.

I am a believer in heavenly planes and reincarnation myself. Brahman/God is our ultimate core which has best been described as pure consciousness; being-bliss-awareness so that core gives us the drive to exist and to be happy as that is our core nature. Death goes against our core nature. We don't like it.

I believe that when this life ends, we pass through to the next place of consciousness.  Time does not exist in that dimension.  I believe that we will understand then what this physical life was about, in total.  Then, I believe we continue to learn, to grow and evolve.  OR if we have rejected the chance to believe, our existence either ends or is sent in a different direction.  I don't claim to understand it all, this is just what I believe.  Because of this, I only fear the potential physical pain of passing from this life.

• Like 1

I'm not afraid of dying , I'd rather me die than someone I love die . 

• Like 1

Fear of any kind is identification with the physical aspect of self... This is also called "Maya".... all things are energy, we are not physical in any way... in fact atoms are mostly comprised of "empty" space. We are primarily empty... Energy is condensed to "physical" expression in this plane of existence therefore we deem physical as real, or realistic. Beyond death is nothing new nor scary because in reality death doesn't exist. It is a transition of state that energy follows. On a conscious level the journey continues, you simply will inhabit another vessel of physical expression in order for consciousness to continue bridging the gap.

Which I am finding IS the ultimate goal for being human... we exist as both divine and dirt. Infinite and finite. Physical and Spiritual. This creates a war within the self of what aspect has dominion over the self. This war is an illusion because the ultimate aspiration is to unify with harmony the separation of what is "physical" (condensed energy) with what is "ethereal" (heavenly energy). Once we harmonize the two we know that beyond this body we continue living and have full dominion over our spiritual ascension. Death is a perspective derived from the body consciousness rather than God consciousness.

All of this is based upon my own speculation, experience, and involvement with conscious growth. Please do not take my word as an end all be all truth, I know I don't lol.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 1:44 PM, Chortle said:

Agreed. The thought if being physically unable to draw breath and panicing right before the last and greatest headrush is utterly mortifying.

Im hoping for a massive stroke or heart attack...that or one of North Korea's missles! Something quick before I can feel pain, lots of pain because pain hurts.

It is my hope that at the brink of this moment either shock takes over, DMT releases, or my consciousness splits from the body.... Maybe adrenaline will save the day until DMT lets loose and our body consciousness disappears.... Death at that point will become blissful because once body consciousness is gone pain and suffering cease as well.

Death is a weird and morbid fascination for me. To an extent we should be affraid, for survival reasons and what not. But if you are or were like me where my anxiety took over and I worried for awhile about what happens after, thats obviously where things are not right. Thankfully my episode passed (it always does). End of the day you shouldnt be scared about what happens after if you believe (like me) that nothing happens, cause you are not there to experience it. But in all honestly, what bothers me the most is the pain I leave behind for my love ones and how I will go, I can only hope if I am in pain etc DMT does its thing.

Just enjoy life while you can. If you suffer with anxiety like i did please get help and remember, it passes. Life is still worth living no matter what the anxiety tells you.

• Like 1

I was rather fortunate to have an experience of being conscious free of my body at age 3-4 and so, before I had even a concept of death, I had an experiential understanding that my awareness is not generated by my body, but my body manifests as a pattern of dense vibration within the field of my awareness.

As such, I have never had a fear of death.  Though there are some ways of the body passing that I'd rather not have to experience.

• Like 2

On 23-9-2017 at 4:08 AM, Christopher Soma said:

Fear of any kind is identification with the physical aspect of self... This is also called "Maya".... all things are energy, we are not physical in any way... in fact atoms are mostly comprised of "empty" space. We are primarily empty... Energy is condensed to "physical" expression in this plane of existence therefore we deem physical as real, or realistic. Beyond death is nothing new nor scary because in reality death doesn't exist. It is a transition of state that energy follows. On a conscious level the journey continues, you simply will inhabit another vessel of physical expression in order for consciousness to continue bridging the gap.

Which I am finding IS the ultimate goal for being human... we exist as both divine and dirt. Infinite and finite. Physical and Spiritual. This creates a war within the self of what aspect has dominion over the self. This war is an illusion because the ultimate aspiration is to unify with harmony the separation of what is "physical" (condensed energy) with what is "ethereal" (heavenly energy). Once we harmonize the two we know that beyond this body we continue living and have full dominion over our spiritual ascension. Death is a perspective derived from the body consciousness rather than God consciousness.

All of this is based upon my own speculation, experience, and involvement with conscious growth. Please do not take my word as an end all be all truth, I know I don't lol.

Im actualy of the same idea here. I also have the belief that at some point in our evolution we will be able to ascend while being alive and choose to take human form when we want and ascend again when we want without dying. Simply put look at Stargate SG1 where the Ancients learned to ascend and where Daniel Jackson also did after a while and later on returned to human existence. Im not saying it exactly happens like it is shown there but it is something like that.

• Like 1

I don't practice Bon, but have a deep appreciation for many of the teachings I've encountered.

I have found a love of decay and an appreciation of death that was wholly unsought and unanticipated rather recently (last couple years).  I sense that death is far more loving than life.  And the reason we all succumb to death's embrace in the end, is that she loves us far more than life.

Life is grasping, consuming and always seeking... it must feed and consume other life to continue.

Death and decay is the utter release and giving back of that which was borrowed for the span of life.

When she was pulling me into the depths of the ocean one day... death was sighing to me... 'my love... my love.  come back'

it was... blissful, not frightening.

• Like 1