Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

London Tube blast treated as terror incident

Still Waters

An explosion on a Tube train in south-west London is being treated as terrorism, Scotland Yard has said.

Passengers were injured following the blast at 08:20 BST (07:20 GMT) at Parsons Green District Line station.

Pictures show a white bucket on fire inside a supermarket bag, but do not appear to show extensive damage to the inside of the carriage.

The Metropolitan Police said "a number of people" had been injured and advised people to avoid the area.

It was too early to confirm the cause of the fire and the station has been cordoned off, the statement said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41278545

• Like 5

It sounds like the device didn't fully detonate, which is at least something to be thankful for.

An explosives expert on Sky News suggested that, had it detonated, it may have been of a similar power to that of 7/7.

Is this a surprise? Sadly not. I'm actually more surprised that things have been relatively quiet for a few months

• Like 6

There's a suggestion that the bomb might have detonated early.

The train was going to Central London, I believe.

• Like 3

There's live reporting in these two links -

Met Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said the Parsons Green explosion was caused by the detonation of an improvised explosive device

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-41218382

NHS England say there are now 22 people being treated across four hospital trusts in London.

http://news.sky.com/story/live-explosion-at-parsons-green-station-reports-11036238

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, acute said:

There's a suggestion that the bomb might have detonated early.

The train was going to Central London, I believe.

That makes sense.  Thankfully no one died.

• Like 4

I bet they have video of whomever was carrying it. I hope they track them down quickly.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I bet they have video of whomever was carrying it. I hope they track them down quickly.

Yes it should be easy to spot carrying something that size...thereagain it is all supposing that the CCTVs are all operating and not subject to the government's far reaching cut backs!

• Like 3

Just saw this. Thank goodness no one was killed. Thoughts are with the 22 injured and their families. Hopefully, the catch who did this soon.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Maybe they actually shouldn't scoop him up too quickly...maybe the authorities should allow him to contact other Jihadists. If the guy's a lone wolf no harm done but if he has accomplices they could get them as well.  

• Like 1

I truly don't understand these animals.  That's what they are.  They are animals in human skin.

• Like 5

22 more innocent people injured and all the othersvonboard and their worried friends and family -affected by another lunatic terrorist. 

Tubes have cctv...hopefully they will find the person / persons. Although it was denonated, someone had to put it there in the first place, maybe they were still on the train.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I truly don't understand these animals.  That's what they are.  They are animals in human skin.

Oh O/S, bit of an insult to the animal kingdom.  These are not animals, they are sick low life humans.

• Like 5

Just now, freetoroam said:

Oh O/S, bit of an insult to the animal kingdom.  These are not animals, they are sick low life humans.

They are not humans.  Humans have souls.  These people are dead inside.

• Like 3

Just now, OverSword said:

I reckon not all humans have souls. I can not call them anything other than sick low life humans as it is an insult to what ever else you wish to call them.

Maybe pits of the Earth? Ahhh...not sure about that either, bit of an insult to pits and Earth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Religiously sanctioned inbreeding (cousin marriages,) combined with a religious framework that condones violence when interpreted as such. Lethal combination and there are millions upon millions of them out there.

The Muslim population of Britain surpassed 3.5 million in 2016 to become around 5.5% of the overall population of 64 million, according to figures extrapolated from a recent study on the growth of the Muslim population in Europe.

Amazing how much death and destruction can come from such a small sample of people. The runner up is miles behind Islam, when looking at a terrorism per population. Someone remind me again how Islam earned the title "religion of peace"?

• Like 1

Just in:

Theresa May has rebuked Donald Trump for suggesting the people responsible for the explosion on a London tube train were known to the Metropolitan police. (...) Follow live updates as PM responds to president’s comments on Twitter by saying it’s not helpful to speculate about train bomb that injured 22 people

Trump claimed on Twitter that the terrorist attack involved “sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard”, despite no such information having been released publicly by police. He also blamed it on “loser terrorists”, promoted his travel ban and advocated a “proactive and nasty” policy against Islamic State.

Asked about Trump’s potential breach of convention on intelligence sharing, May was unusually critical of the US president, saying: “I never think it’s helpful for anybody to speculate on what is an ongoing investigation.”

When the president tweeted, no suspect had been identified and no group or individual had claimed responsibility for the blast.

The Guardian

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

. Someone remind me again how Islam earned the title "religion of peace"?

Whenever they say the name of their prophet they say "Peace be upon him" B)

• Like 1

65aa4e338f1c90d0f2d7ce43bea42107b0ca1b84

...has Trump forsaken us? No mention of "Islamic" terrorists and now the internet must be cut off? WAT:huh:

• Like 2

There is currently NO evidence that this was an Islamic terror attack. 

Remember, according to the FBI, it is far more likely (statistically) to be an attack by far-right or white supremacist terrorists. 

Militant Methodists, perhaps ? Or Buddhists !

• Like 1

No doubt about it, lady luck was on the side of the good folk of West London. Its only a matter of time before arrest(s) are made.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

There is currently NO evidence that this was an Islamic terror attack. 

Remember, according to the FBI, it is far more likely (statistically) to be an attack by far-right or white supremacist terrorists. 

Militant Methodists, perhaps ? Or Buddhists !

I had to look that up.

FBI.gov

Domestic Terrorism

Domestic right-wing terrorist groups often adhere to the principles of racial supremacy and embrace antigovernment, antiregulatory beliefs. Generally, extremist right-wing groups engage in activity that is protected by constitutional guarantees of free speech and assembly. Law enforcement becomes involved when the volatile talk of these groups transgresses into unlawful action.

On the national level, formal right-wing hate groups, such as the National Alliance, the World Church of the Creator (WCOTC) and the Aryan Nations, represent a continuing terrorist threat. Although efforts have been made by some extremist groups to reduce openly racist rhetoric in order to appeal to a broader segment of the population and to focus increased attention on antigovernment sentiment, racism-based hatred remains an integral component of these groups’ core orientations.

Right-wing groups continue to represent a serious terrorist threat. Two of the seven planned acts of terrorism prevented in 1999 were potentially large-scale, high-casualty attacks being planned by organized right-wing extremist groups. 

Conclusion

Despite the current focus on international terrorism, it is important to remain cognizant of the full range of threats that confront the United States. These threats continue to include domestic and international terrorists. While the majority of attacks perpetrated by domestic terrorists have produced low casualty figures, the 169 lives claimed in the Oklahoma City bombing and the potential very heavy loss of lives that could have resulted from various thwarted plots demonstrate the interest among some domestic extremists in inflicting mass casualties.

On September 11, 2001, the scope and sophistication of the international radical jihad movement was demonstrated with horrendous clarity when 19 hijackers commandeered four commercial airliners, crashing two of them into the World Trade Center, one into the Pentagon, and the other into a remote field in Pennsylvania. This attack resulted in more casualties than any other terrorist act ever recorded.

When you start including trucks driving in to crowds and stabbings, I'm much more worried about Islamic threats than White Supremacists. The FBI has to reach back 10+ years for any decent examples of "right wing terrorism", and even then the casualties are generally low and the incidents few and far inbetween. In most of the "studies" I have read that sought to prove right-wing terrorism is the biggest threat, they inflate the numbers by including hoax crimes and any terrorist who isn't clearly left-wing gets lumped in. 

Saying "the biggest threat to America is white", is just repeating popular but informed opinion. The data says otherwise.

• Like 1

What happend when you add in kids taking guns into school ;) 

• Like 1