Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Natural wonders that no longer exist

Still Waters

Landscapes shape our sense of place, yet Earth is constantly changing. The forces of volcanism, wind, water, sun, and, yes, humans, conspire to transform what has been crafted into familiar terrain over millennia—pummeling cliffs into beaches, eroding vast canyons, forming new land with bubbling lava, and shifting the course of mighty rivers.

In the last 50 years alone, hundreds of scenic natural landmarks around the world have drastically shape-shifted, never to return to their former states. They serve as reminders that our planet is a dynamic and impermanent place. See some of the places that we have recently lost, and similarly fragile sites you can still visit.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/features/photography/natural-wonders-that-disappeared/

• Like 4

I often get inspired by Constable depicting rural scenes that no longer exist, and - for instance - Canaletto provides bygone images of Venice.

Currently there are islands which may well soon be reclaimed by rising sea levels.....

52 minutes ago, sees said:

I often get inspired by Constable depicting rural scenes that no longer exist

Aye, like the Haywain which I can confirm does NOT exist!   I have been there !

:D:P;)