Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Experiment: Scientist shocked by electric eel

Still Waters

The painful experiment reveals the voltage and current of an electric eel and is helping researchers better understand electromotive forces.

https://www.seeker.com/earth/animals/scientist-allows-himself-to-be-shocked-by-an-electric-eel

• Like 4

If he wanted a more Legendary demo he could have re-created the Mason Verger scene from Hanibal, that would be hardcore

• Like 1

book version was more hardcore than the tv serie

something like the eel go inside his mouth and try to eat his tongue thinking it's some kind of fish and dig his way through the inside by eating and tearing his flesh and electrocuting him all the way until it exit from the an#s

Edited by jarjarbinks
  • Like 1

Reminds me of when I was a kid and wondered how strong a bb gun really is...well...I could only try it on myself so I loaded it and shot myself in the foot. It hurt bad :-D

• Like 2

Another Darwin award winner!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

Another Darwin award winner!

In order to win a much-lauded fraudulent Darwin Award, one must actually have to die (before procreating).

Kenneth Catania lived.

http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/

The Darwin Awards books state that an attempt is made to disallow known urban legends from the awards, but some older "winners" have been "grandfathered" to keep their awards. The Darwin Awards site does try to verify all submitted stories, but many similar sites, and the vast number of circulating "Darwin awards" emails, are largely fictional.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

I ask myself why the electric eel does not get electrocuted by itself, and I read an article in Popular Science, with the conclusion that it is a mystery.

[...]

These are all just speculations, though. In truth, no one really knows why electric eels don’t shock themselves. Vanderbilt neuroscientist and electric eel expert Ken Catania calls the fish “optimized biological Tasers--and I’m not just trying to spin it so it sounds cool.” But he says their ability to zap a foe without getting zapped remains a mystery.
Short answer: It's complicated - still a mystery.

Disclaimer: Don't do these experiments [described below] at all, just ask the operator of a car electrical service shop, what will happen when a stupid guy who is always feeling himself so smart and flippant dares to actually undertake the experiments described below, in particular the second one.

I will NOT be answerable for any injury to your body and damage to your property.

You see, dear colleagues here, in order to get electrocuted, you have got to hold with your bare hand a wire that is coming from a source of electric current in one terminal, like say one pole in a car battery, and hold with your other hand the wire from the other terminal, like say the other pole of the same battery.

That will get you to be a part of the circuit connecting the two poles of the car battery, which has only 12 volts direct current: no, you will not get electrocuted, not normally. BUT JUST THE SAME DON'T TRY IT!

Now, don't try this at all unless you want to experience being burned: get an iron rod like say a big steel nail, one that is say six inches long, you get the idea.

Now: you wind one end of the nail with one wire attached to one of the two battery poles, and as you hold the nail with one hand, [DON'T DO THIS!!!!] you use your other hand to wind the other end of the nail with the wire from the other pole of the care battery, see what will happen to you!!!!

DON'T DO THAT!!!!!

BETTER TO JUST ASK THE GUY OPERATING A CAR ELECTRICAL SERVICE SHOP!!!!!

The trouble with the electric eel, the way I see it, is where are the two poles of the fish?

Why aren't there electric humans?  That's the real mystery here.