Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What sank the USS San Diego back in 1918 ?

UM-Bot

On 10/9/2017 at 2:47 PM, Peter B said:

No worries.

Here's the link to the main site: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y

NLA = National Library of Australia. They've scanned literally thousands of Australian newspapers from the early 19th century until recently. Articles are shown as screenshots of the original newspaper, along with the system's attempt at Optical Character Recognition. If you you want you can register in order to correct the OCR versions, and some people have turned it into a hobby.

Anyway, I searched: san diego; 1918-07-19 to 1918-08-01; New South Wales titles. The search produced 45 results. The first result had this article (Tweed Daily, Monday 22 July 1918):

Bolding mine.

Still believe it was U Boat as it targeted a small town just down the cost around that month

On 12/1/2017 at 4:50 AM, Skulduggery said:

Who said anything about being upset? I meant everything in jest, which I thought was obvious. 

*shrug*

Obviously I need to get my online irony detector re-calibrated.

• 2 months later...

The photo at the top of the article is not applicable to the text .  It is a picture of the Atlanta Class Light Cruiser, USS San Diego (CL-53) which served in WWII and was scrapped around 1960.  The text of the article concerns the Armored Cruiser USS San Diego (ACR-6) which was sunk off Long Island in 1918 during WWI.  These were two entirely different ships with the same name.  It is not uncommon for USN to reuse the name of a ship that is out of service, or even to change the name of a ship so that it can be reused for another ship.  In fact the USS San Diego (ACR-6) was originally the USS California.  The USN changed the name to San Diego to free up the name "California" so it could be used for a battleship, as the policy at the time was that battleships have names of states.

I would suggest that the photo be changed as there are plenty of images of the WWI Armored Cruiser USS San Diego available on the internet, here is an article with several photos::

http://www.militarymuseum.org/USSSanDiego.html