Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are Aliens always Humanoid?

Aquila King

2 minutes ago, seeder said:

Having a bigger brain does not guarantee more cognitive power. Although many believe humans are the smartest species on the planet, our brains — which weigh roughly three pounds — are dwarfed by other animals. For instance, the elephant brain weighs about nine pounds; the whale brain can weigh up to 20 pounds. 

It’s not all that surprising that the bigger an animal's body, the bigger its brain might be. However, when scientists rank mammals by their brain size relative to their body size, it's the tree shrew, and not humans, that come out on top. The brain of the tree shrew accounts for 10 percent of its body mass, while the human brain accounts for roughly two percent of body mass. 

:mellow: ...and just like that, I learn something profoundly new...

splode.gif

• Like 1

Indeed if it WAS down to just bigger brains whales should rule the world....

BTW....For those who dont know...the ancestor of the Whale was wolf sized and of course...lived on the land....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seeder said:

BTW....For those who dont know...the ancestor of the Whale was wolf sized and of course...lived on the land....

edit to add link with more info

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1553008.stm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seeder said:

edit to add link with more info

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1553008.stm

Thanks for telling me this. I actually love for people to expand my mind and bust up common misconceptions. :yes:

It really makes me wonder though, why are we humans so much smarter? :huh:

Or maybe animals are smarter than we thought. :blink:

Or maybe we're all just dumb as s***. <_< That's probly the most likely scenario...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seeder said:

As far as a whale is concerned it does....

It's all relative IMO;)

besides, its entirely possible that...because space is just mind bogglingly massive and with staggering distances between solar systems etc....that the first alien thing we might ever see, would be a mechanical probe.... like we send out of course... tho better no doubt.....travelling such huge distances in space is perhaps as harmful to another species body as it is to ours

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Thanks for telling me this. I actually love for people to expand my mind and bust up common misconceptions. :yes:

It really makes me wonder though, why are we humans so much smarter? :huh:

Or maybe animals are smarter than we thought. :blink:

Or maybe we're all just dumb as s***. <_< That's probly the most likely scenario...

have a read .....more than the bit Ive quoted

What is the smartest species in the world? You might think it's humans by a long shot, but the reality is a lot more complicated.

Frans de Waal, a primatologist at Emory University, has a new book out called "Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?" and in it he gives hundreds of examples of surprising intelligence from non-human species, including many instances where other animals appear to be smarter than we are.

Chimpanzees, for instance, can easily beat humans at recalling a set of numbers that was displayed for a fraction of a second.
Octopuses can learn to open pill bottles protected by childproof caps, which many humans can't figure out on their own.

Dogs and horses, among many species that spend time around humans, are able to recognize body language queues that are lost on us.

Many species can do stuff we can't even imagine: bats that map out space with echolocation; birds that figure out the complex mechanics of flight and landing; and ticks that identify passing mammals by the smell of butyric acid.

In fact, every species' operating system is finely tuned to do what it needs to do, which makes intelligence comparisons across species rather pointless.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/smartest-animals-according-to-science-a7545286.html

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

Many species can do stuff we can't even imagine: bats that map out space with echolocation; birds that figure out the complex mechanics of flight and landing; and ticks that identify passing mammals by the smell of butyric acid.

Personally I would not class that as intelligence> more like millions of years of evolution.............

Just now, Dejarma said:

As far as a whale is concerned it does....

It's all relative IMO;)

Technically bacteria rules the world. ;)

9 minutes ago, seeder said:

have a read .....more than the bit Ive quoted

Oh I certainly will. ^_^ I always do. ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, seeder said:

besides, its entirely possible that...because space is just mind bogglingly massive and with staggering distances between solar systems etc....that the first alien thing we might ever see, would be a mechanical probe.... like we send out of course... tho better no doubt.....travelling such huge distances in space is perhaps as harmful to another species body as it is to ours

This kinda delves into a separate topic, but if warp-drive and wormhole technology is possible then it renders all this a mute point.

Of course all that is purely theoretical atm, so, who knows...

4 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Technically bacteria rules the world. ;)

Yeah, thinking about it what a good point- technically you're right IMO

great words, Aquila..

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

The ones that would really scare us use invisibility cloaks?

You mean the ones that are in the room with you right now, but can't see?

Those invisible ones?

They're "humanoid" too. Descendant from a common ancestor same as us. Just invisible. 

Edited by Will Due

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

You mean the ones that are in the room with you right now, but can't see?

Those invisible ones?

They're "humanoid" too. Descendant from a common ancestor same as us. Just invisible. 

d82ae4e98ec12b13c9f20872896f648c18f04924

• Like 1

Aliens dont appear humanoid, humans appear alienoid. They precede us by at least 653 000 years, and are the viewers, not us.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nostrodumbass said:

Aliens dont appear humanoid, humans appear alienoid. They precede us by at least 653 000 years, and are the viewers, not us.

Which ones?

36 minutes ago, Nostrodumbass said:

and you know this how?

12 minutes ago, Colectivo said:

Which ones?

The humanoid ones.

4 minutes ago, seeder said:

and you know this how?

All I can say is that in my line of work I may have come in contact with information of a sensitive nature. ;)

6 minutes ago, Nostrodumbass said:

The humanoid ones.

Whos to say that Somewhere in the universe there are not humanoids learning to use fire and living in caves as we speak?

Don't get me wrong but we just don't know. Are there older races? Provably its a big universe...

Edited by Colectivo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dejarma said:

i don't get that

Well, either that they camouflage themselves so we won't get freaked out by them, or, more sinsiterly, that they can move among us and do whatever they want to do and we wouldn't know they were there ... :ph34r: 

6 hours ago, seeder said:

Yes, like I've often said that seems very likely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nostrodumbass said:

:mellow: ...I never thought of it like that...

6 hours ago, seeder said:

Dogs and horses, among many species that spend time around humans, are able to recognize body language queues that are lost on us.

Pity that Independent journalists are unable to recognize the difference between the word "queues" and the word "cues" :angry: 

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

:mellow: ...I never thought of it like that...

Probably because i suspect he's just made it up. :mellow:

• Like 2