Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Riots in St. Louis

susieice

Just now, Dark_Grey said:

Dude - in any given riot over a Police shooting, how many of the protesters are there to actually get a message across? Is it even 10%? 

prbly, if not less

1 hour ago, Ashotep said:

If they keep trying to deny tax revenues they are ultimately going to hurt themselves.  Loss of jobs because people will see St. Louis isn't the place to have a business and the city can't afford to hire people.  The city is losing population and has been for decades but I think since Ferguson it has become worse. 

This. Burning and looting is one way to ensure businesses will stay out of your community, which gives some reason to complain "there are no job opportunities".

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

This. Burning and looting is one way to ensure businesses will stay out of your community, which gives some reason to complain "there are no job opportunities".

Yes and people in St. Louis are worried about that.  St. Louis intended to try to get Amazon to put their second headquarters there.  They are afraid the violence has hurt their chances of that and they are probably right.

Weekend of disruption takes economic toll on St. Louis

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Glad one of us pays attention then. 

While it doesnt seem as though the businesses in the mall were destroyed they did try and shut them down to hurt the city's economy. 

Protesters Storm St. Louis Mall Chanting "No Justice, No Profits" As U2 Cancels Concert

So killing the economy in the community you live makes sense why? Whatever chants, slogans, or superficial excuses were given, it makes no sense to hurt their own community. That is the equivalent of saying "I have a leg cramp so I am going to smash my knee with a hammer".

They feel it is them against the city? Policy is set by elected officials, they can be voted out. Oh wait, that means someone may actually have to see where who is running stands on issues like a balanced budget, community policing, relaxing regulations on local owned small proprieterships, encouraging investment back into the community, and bringing money into the community through export of goods/services to other places. 

Hurting the cities tax revenue only cuts funding for programs. Brilliant idea to give politicians another reason to cut social programs...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I think much of what has people frustrated to the point of rioting comes from who decides what a fact is and what facts get released. The prosecutors and the judges who work hand in hand with the officers on a daily basis are the same ones deciding what is a fact and what isnt.  This case is a good example of that, this officer was acquitted by a judge rather than a jury. 

That's why we need impartial and objective investigators since both sides tend to jump to conclusions based on their own personal and philosophical agendas and narratives. Judge each case on its own merits. If there are problems, people indeed have the right to protest in a peaceful manner. Arrest them if they riot.

• Like 2

The city is honoring the heroine dealer.  Not sure if the man should have been shot but I don't think they should be doing that. 

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/st-louis-aldermen-pass-resolution-remembering-anthony-lamar-smith-angering/article_a5f5e396-ca04-5e88-961f-b4c0234eb231.html

• Like 1