Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan; "The Galapagos syndrome"

AnchorSteam

An interesting take on what is going on in Japan-

Summary; old falsehoods need to be trashed; No, they don't work that many hours anymore. No, they are FAR from the suicide capitol of the world (they are not even in the top 20).
They are also doing something creative with their debt, but it sounded too much like what we are doing with the Fed to me... I may be wrong about that.

But they are preserving their unity and their culture, instead of tearing themselves apart like the West is. The vid makes the point that there is nothing that we could do to get our's back, short of violence.

IMHO, if civilization is going to survive in just one place in the world, it could well be in Japan. That's my best candidate, anyway.

I think they demonstrated in the 1930s and 40s (just ask Korea or China) that they're not entirely immune to fashions like fascism and militarism, though.

My brother lives there (he used to be UM member here years ago but doesn't come now.) Tells me a lot of the stuff I hear about "herbivore men" and "demographic decline" is wildly exaggerated.

If a static culture is superior to a dynamic one, the Japanese should have won WW2. 

21 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I think they demonstrated in the 1930s and 40s (just ask Korea or China) that they're not entirely immune to fashions like fascism and militarism, though.

Why does that have to be the determining factor on the validity of all human life on planet earth for all eternity? 

Not joking, and at least they don't think that national self-destruction is the only way to atone for the sins of the great-great-Grandfathers, as is the case in the West.

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

If a static culture is superior to a dynamic one, the Japanese should have won WW2. 

WTF ... static?

I know that not everyone is going to spend the ten minutes to look at that thing, but come on.

33 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Why does that have to be the determining factor on the validity of all human life on planet earth for all eternity? 

Not joking, and at least they don't think that national self-destruction is the only way to atone for the sins of the great-great-Grandfathers, as is the case in the West.

WTF ... static?

I know that not everyone is going to spend the ten minutes to look at that thing, but come on.

He posited a lot caveats building his argument. Japan spends somewhat less than one percent of it's GDP on defense, 41 billion dollars contrasted with U.S. 3 percent plus and 600 billion. It would be interesting to see how it's economy fares should it ever have to shoulder the full weight of military expenditure for an adequate, self-sufficient defense and deterrent  against the likes of China and North Korea.

Edited by Hammerclaw

13 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

He posited a lot caveats building his argument. Japan spends somewhat less than one percent of it's GDP on defense, 41 billion dollars contrasted with U.S. 3 percent plus and 600 billion. It would be interesting to see how it's economy fares should it ever have to shoulder the full weight of military expenditure for an adequate, self-sufficient defense and deterrent  against the likes of China and North Korea.

Oh, I see, and there is a lot of hostility in China. State-made movies in China routinely show more Japanese being killed than died in the whole war over there. 

Yes, they will have to do more, or maybe they can do something else. Holland managed to avoid involvement in a lot of big wars for a very long time, and Switzerland did an even better job of it. Japan is also very dependent on trade ... maybe they could turn themselves into "the indispensable neutral" of the Orient? 

2 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

Oh, I see, and there is a lot of hostility in China. State-made movies in China routinely show more Japanese being killed than died in the whole war over there. 

Yes, they will have to do more, or maybe they can do something else. Holland managed to avoid involvement in a lot of big wars for a very long time, and Switzerland did an even better job of it. Japan is also very dependent on trade ... maybe they could turn themselves into "the indispensable neutral" of the Orient? 

Hostility and antipathy doesn't persist for just a generation or two in Asia--it lasts for centuries. Japan is surrounded by countries it was once at war with. Like,other US defense dependencies, it can divert money from defense for social and economic,purpose instead of paying what would otherwise be a higher price for self-defense. Then said economies are touted as models to be followed and superior to ours,and others. Go figure.

On 9/18/2017 at 4:49 AM, AnchorSteam said:

What i was saying was that isolationism or self-sufficiency, however you want to look at it, isn't necessarily a guarantee that you won't make the same mistakes as most other countries. The reverse, in fact, it can easily lead to a feeling of superiority that can be almost suicidal. 

21 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

... Like,other US defense dependencies, it can divert money from defense for social and economic,purpose instead of paying what would otherwise be a higher price for self-defense. Then said economies are touted as models to be followed and superior to ours,and others. Go figure.

Like Western Europe, for example? 

Yeah, 1/4 of the world's population lives under US Military protection, and are constantly berating us in one way or another, frequently over the most petty B.S. imaginable.

We need to re-examine all that and do so serious trimming. 

11 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

What i was saying was that isolationism or self-sufficiency, however you want to look at it, isn't necessarily a guarantee that you won't make the same mistakes as most other countries. The reverse, in fact, it can easily lead to a feeling of superiority that can be almost suicidal. 

There is no guarantee of anything like that!

Self-sufficency, even a partial sort, is a good thing, right? Reducing your vulnerability to hostile nations or sleazy economic manipulators is a healthy thing, why try to qualify it.... pro-Globalism?

But, when all is said and done, I guess Japan is one of the least likely nations out there to ever achieve such a thing. Without natural resources of their own, it would be a mighty tough road, especially compared to the US.

Seems to me they're just cooking the books and winking at each other for being so clever. Something more like this.      https://youtu.be/msf1TJ8RpLI                                                                       

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Seems to me they're just cooking the books and winking at each other for being so clever. Something more like this.      https://youtu.be/msf1TJ8RpLI                                                                       

Thanks. Amazing to see he's still going.

• 1 month later...

The situation of Japan is unique, the country owes most of her debt to her own population. They can decide what they do with the debt because they collectively owe it to themselves. Also, they have been flirting with deflation for almost three decades now, they can afford a bit of inflation. That being said, their collective debt problem is a bit more important than the average Western country, they owe 250% of the national yearly GDP. We'll see if they manage to turn things around, but with the younger generation having a hard time to find a steady job...

About mass immigration, it's simply not possible in Japan. They have too little land to put people on already, not to mention good land lost to house people instead of growing food. The archipelago is not able to feed herself right now, there's no point in adding much more humans there. That being said they do get foreigner in, a friend of mine have been living there for 4 years now. I also know they are working to entice kids and grand-kids of Japanese who migrated in South American in the 40s and 50s back in the homeland.

Although I disagree with the video about other countries. Canada has to population of California spread over a territory larger than the entire United States, we have a problem of low population in quite a few part of the country. We aren't even close to our resources limits and are net exporter of food.