Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 7
LightAngel

Consciousness Without Brain Activity.

400 posts in this topic

Share your thoughts about this topic :)

 

 

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your thoughts about it? :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

What are your thoughts about it? :)

 

I have personal experiences about this topic, so I'm very positive here, and now I'm curious about what you people think?! :)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add that I never died or anything like that, the experiences I have about this topic is a different kind, but nevertheless connected to this topic.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting topic, but i cant say ive experienced or heard of this being verified before...

Share your experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for sharing that video, I found it very interesting and it 'rings true' to me. I'm going to look for more about Bruce Greyson(videos, books).

I don't have any personal experiences concerned with this subject ..... sorry. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Thank you very much for sharing that video, I found it very interesting and it 'rings true' to me. I'm going to look for more about Bruce Greyson(videos, books).

I don't have any personal experiences concerned with this subject ..... sorry. 

You are welcome.

You will also find this interesting then, enjoy : 

"Mel Van Dusen interviews renowned cardiologist Pim van Lommel about his research into the near-death experience and it's implications for a radically new paradigm for living in the 21st century."

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Consider consciousness as an awareness energy which, depending on your beliefs, is an eternal always existing energy. Science has said that energy can not ever be created or destroyed. It may change forms however it always exists.

Now the brain activity within a human in our society has a life span of say 100 years or less. I guess my question would be why are we even trying to compare these things.

John

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Share your thoughts about this topic :)

 

Yes consciousness without brain activity happens! Besides the NDE and such I read an article in Discover magazine Oct issue in the vital signs section. Borderline by Adrian Owen. 20% of patients who appear vegetative to neurological tests actually have consciousness. 

Dead people can score 3 on the Glasgow Coma scale which measures consciousness on a scale of 3-15. 

The findings showed that using functional fMRI and EEG to measure brain activity can yield a rating of 3 or less but some patients recover and even remember the people  and tests given but couldn't communicate in the slightest. 

A neurological device uses a laser at Tafts University to detect brain activity to measure oxygenation of the blood which shows activity of brain that the standard MRIs and EEGs don't detect. 

It just goes to show science still has a long way to go, even in measuring brain death.

I believe consciousness can also exists outside of the body and one day science will be able to prove it. 

 

 

 

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John from Lowell said:

Hi,

Consider consciousness as an awareness energy which, depending on your beliefs, is an eternal always existing energy. Science has said that energy can not ever be created or destroyed. It may change forms however it always exists.

Now the brain activity within a human in our society has a life span of say 100 years or less. I guess my question would be why are we even trying to compare these things.

John

 

Energy is not a thing. It is not a noun. It is the description of a system's ability to do work. It is not some floating glowing orb full of "awareness".

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Share your thoughts about this topic 

I watched the video and it is a good summary of what I have already heard before. For this and many other reasons in my study of various so-called paranormal things I am convinced that consciousness is NOT a product of the brain as materialism has assumed. I hold consciousness to be fundamental and the universe to be a derivative of the fundamental (consciousness). We can not with our rational mind get behind what this 'consciousness' is though.

One comment on the video which I watched in its entirety, is that I feel Greyson was too conservative in his evaluation of the breadth of explanative models for physical consciousness. I believe eastern/Indian/Vedic and various so-called esoteric traditions are way ahead of western science in understanding how physical consciousness works. And western science should be considering more what these wisdom  traditions have to tell us.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John from Lowell said:

Consider consciousness as an awareness energy which, depending on your beliefs, is an eternal always existing energy. Science has said that energy can not ever be created or destroyed. It may change forms however it always exists.

So pretend consciousness is a type of energy you made up.

And you wonder why science doesn't seriously consider these "woo" explanations.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Share your thoughts about this topic :)

 

 

At 2:42 I have a personal example of this.

My grandfather died at the ripe old age of 89 of a brain tumor. Over the last 2 decades of his life he began losing his hearing and vision. It started with simply him needing a hearing aide and prescription eyeglasses but eventually even that wasn't enough. He eventually got to the point where he was basically like Helen Keller. Until the last few hours of his life. I was really little at the time, and my mother and my aunt so as not to upset me, were whispering to each other while my grandfather lay dying on his deathbed in another room from completely across on the other side of the house. Yet somehow he was able to hear every detail of what my mom and aunt were talking about, and responded to it all totally lucid and coherently. Not only that but it was as if he suddenly had 'super vision' and was able to see the exact time on a clock hanging on a wall on the opposite end of the other room when his door was open. He then soon after fell asleep and passed away. It was like he suddenly in his last moments became super clear and then disappeared.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and as for the rest of the video I concur! :tu:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok... Heres a thought?  

He talks about people hearing and seeing things in NDE's while flatlined. Apparently, the subject then proceeds into a well or tunnel and finds god or love, happy place.

So.... If the brain is dying would it cut off all energy wasting activities first, i.e. movement, touch, thereby increasing other sensory systems abilities? Grasping with infinite detail and clarity the things the brain can most passively observe as well as enjoying pristine clarity of thought in these moments?

Then the DMT kicks in, talk about jumping down the rabbit hole. And feelings of love, angels and god are reported with concetrations of dmt dosed on the living.

I wanna be wrong.

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/9/2017 at 3:37 AM, Aquila King said:

At 2:42 I have a personal example of this.

My grandfather died at the ripe old age of 89 of a brain tumor. Over the last 2 decades of his life he began losing his hearing and vision. It started with simply him needing a hearing aide and prescription eyeglasses but eventually even that wasn't enough. He eventually got to the point where he was basically like Helen Keller. Until the last few hours of his life. I was really little at the time, and my mother and my aunt so as not to upset me, were whispering to each other while my grandfather lay dying on his deathbed in another room from completely across on the other side of the house. Yet somehow he was able to hear every detail of what my mom and aunt were talking about, and responded to it all totally lucid and coherently. Not only that but it was as if he suddenly had 'super vision' and was able to see the exact time on a clock hanging on a wall on the opposite end of the other room when his door was open. He then soon after fell asleep and passed away. It was like he suddenly in his last moments became super clear and then disappeared.

 

Thank you for sharing  ;)

 

This is also exciting :

 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Wes4747 said:

ok... Heres a thought?  

He talks about people hearing and seeing things in NDE's while flatlined. Apparently, the subject then proceeds into a well or tunnel and finds god or love, happy place.

So.... If the brain is dying would it cut off all energy wasting activities first, i.e. movement, touch, thereby increasing other sensory systems abilities? Grasping with infinite detail and clarity the things the brain can most passively observe as well as enjoying pristine clarity of thought in these moments?

Then the DMT kicks in, talk about jumping down the rabbit hole. And feelings of love, angels and god are reported with concetrations of dmt dosed on the living.

I wanna be wrong.

 

 

What you say all sounds very reasonable but ...... I don't know. Because the brain may be cutting off energy to some activities, does that automatically mean the abilities of other sensory systems are increased?  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, LightAngel said:

 

Thank you for sharing  ;)

 

This is also exciting :

 

 

And this is exactly why I find it irrational to dismiss NDE's as mere oxygen deprivation.

btw, I listened to this on headphones, and for some reason the audio only works the left one. :blink: Bout gave me a heart attack. I thought my $30 headphones I just baught recently broke already, Lol. :lol:

Edited by Aquila King
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

And this is exactly why I find it irrational to dismiss NDE's as mere oxygen deprivation.

btw, I listened to this on headphones, and for some reason the audio only works the left one. :blink: Bout gave me a heart attack. I thought my $30 headphones I just baught recently broke already, Lol. :lol:

I am a believer that the classic NDE is an out-of-body experience (consciousness without a physical brain) from this and a whole host of evidence showing people have genuine knowledge that could not reasonably have been learned through methods known to materialist understanding. Something not understood by materialism is going on is my conclusion. My belief is that we are interpenetrating physical and astral/mental bodies and at death and in out-of-body experiences the astral/mental body separates and we become freer without the clunky outer denser physical body.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Wes4747 said:

ok... Heres a thought?  

He talks about people hearing and seeing things in NDE's while flatlined. Apparently, the subject then proceeds into a well or tunnel and finds god or love, happy place.

So.... If the brain is dying would it cut off all energy wasting activities first, i.e. movement, touch, thereby increasing other sensory systems abilities? Grasping with infinite detail and clarity the things the brain can most passively observe as well as enjoying pristine clarity of thought in these moments?

Then the DMT kicks in, talk about jumping down the rabbit hole. And feelings of love, angels and god are reported with concetrations of dmt dosed on the living.

I wanna be wrong.

 

 

I think your theory is contradicted by the many typical NDE cases where no higher brain functioning is occurring. And then there are cases like the tennis shoe story just above that also wouldn't be possible in your theory. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:37 PM, Aquila King said:

At 2:42 I have a personal example of this.

My grandfather died at the ripe old age of 89 of a brain tumor. Over the last 2 decades of his life he began losing his hearing and vision. It started with simply him needing a hearing aide and prescription eyeglasses but eventually even that wasn't enough. He eventually got to the point where he was basically like Helen Keller. Until the last few hours of his life. I was really little at the time, and my mother and my aunt so as not to upset me, were whispering to each other while my grandfather lay dying on his deathbed in another room from completely across on the other side of the house. Yet somehow he was able to hear every detail of what my mom and aunt were talking about, and responded to it all totally lucid and coherently. Not only that but it was as if he suddenly had 'super vision' and was able to see the exact time on a clock hanging on a wall on the opposite end of the other room when his door was open. He then soon after fell asleep and passed away. It was like he suddenly in his last moments became super clear and then disappeared.

Great story. Yes that sounds to me like his astral/mental body was already leaving the physical body and came back for all the final goodbyes.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I think your theory is contradicted by the many typical NDE cases where no higher brain functioning is occurring. And then there are cases like the tennis shoe story just above that also wouldn't be possible in your theory. 

Perhaps.. But we only know what higher brain function occurring looks like in a healthy brain. One with severely diminished activity could still have the base of conciousness in the spinal column, alert and gathering stimuli.

As for the shoe on the roof, is it not possible that the shoe might have been reflected in a window somewhere on the patients entry into the hospital and her subconcious picked it up, focusing the recall nearing death?

Just playing devils advocate but i feel strongly this could be a possibility.

I want personal proof of this phenomena honestly. I would love to project my conciousness through the cosmos for a quick recess and know what im seeing is reality. I try.

However, if the subconcious theory i posit for your speculation could be true, i would love to know how to focus that!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Perhaps.. But we only know what higher brain function occurring looks like in a healthy brain. One with severely diminished activity could still have the base of conciousness in the spinal column, alert and gathering stimuli.

Higher thought occurring in the spinal column without higher brain functioning? That might be more revolutionary than my theory. 

 

8 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Just playing devils advocate but i feel strongly this could be a possibility.

Reasonably Polite devil's advocates like yourself hone everyone's thinking process.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Higher thought occurring in the spinal column without higher brain functioning? That might be more revolutionary than my theory. 

 

Reasonably Polite devil's advocates like yourself hone everyone's thinking process.

I dont think its entirely far fetched. I dont think we know the basic requirements of a brain to have conciousness yet. Perhaps its far less than we think...

Just tossing ideas around. Meditation should lead us to free floating conciousness at some point with practice stilling the mind, if its possible. 

I still meditate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

I dont think its entirely far fetched. I dont think we know the basic requirements of a brain to have conciousness yet. Perhaps its far less than we think...

But in materialistic thought, experiencing involves brain activity. Some of the most profound NDE experiences have occurred with no higher brain activity detected.

20 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

 

Just tossing ideas around. Meditation should lead us to free floating conciousness at some point with practice stilling the mind, if its possible. 

I still meditate.

Stay meditating (and thirsty) my friend.

So much indicates its positive effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 7

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.