Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Avast's Piriform CCleaner compromised

SHaYap

SAN FRANCISCO: Hackers broke into British company Piriform's free software for optimising computer performance last month and installed tools that could have allowed them to take control of tens of millions of devices, the company and independent researchers said on Sept 18.

• the Star Online link

~

Spread the word ...

~

• Like 4

Thank you for the heads up. I use CCleaner so I read the article and it would appear that the hackers were stopped before they were able to use the information they had accessed. It looks like a close shave, but no harm done. Phew! :D

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Thank you for the heads up. I use CCleaner so I read the article and it would appear that the hackers were stopped before they were able to use the information they had accessed. It looks like a close shave, but no harm done. Phew! :D

You still need take the necessary precautions though, if you have either one or the other versions listed ...

~

• Like 2

Soooo, I just uninstalled CCleaner and then googled Piriform to get the latest version, and I suddenly remembered that I had paid for the version I uninstalled, a couple of months ago. Surely I should get the version I paid for updated free of charge for 12 months? Can't face wrangling with them tonight :hmm:

8 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Soooo, I just uninstalled CCleaner and then googled Piriform to get the latest version, and I suddenly remembered that I had paid for the version I uninstalled, a couple of months ago. Surely I should get the version I paid for updated free of charge for 12 months? Can't face wrangling with them tonight :hmm:

Whooopsie ... I have no idea Aunty Weej ... I should think there would not be a problem, just pop them an email, I'm sure those new owners at Avast will be keen to keep up the 'good work' as it were ...

~

7 hours ago, Swede said:

My thanks. Appreciated.

Dunna mention it Mr Swede, always a pleasure ...

~

• Like 2