Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Italian supervolcano's magma source found

UM-Bot

I really dislike the term "supervolcano".    Seems like a term created to garner attention. 

40 minutes ago, Myles said:

I really dislike the term "supervolcano".    Seems like a term created to garner attention. 

A bit like Man/Superman, Superman can fly and has really tough skin so he can easily rescue cats from trees without having his face ripped off by a struggling moggie. To the best of my knowledge no cat has ever been rescued by a supervolcano

Edited by EBE Hybrid

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Given that the comparison between, say, Mount St. Helens (1 km3) and Yellowstone Huckleberry Ridge (2500 km3) I'd say it's an accurate term.

These are monsters - that is 3 orders of magnitude! There is no real analogue between a supervolcano and a regular volcano. Even a big one like Krakatoa - that was a stratovolcano that "turned into" a caldera as it were due to the size of its eruption was only 18 km3.

• Like 2

Maybe we need a hurricane-like scale for volcanoes.  Then we can classify them based on the amount of lava and other magma spewed forth.