Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Hurricane Katrina an Inside Job?

Hermai

It appears that the federal government turned a blind eye to Katrina while various other agencies and private companies knew disaster was coming. What do you think?

They gathered a blind eye  while hoping for the best. I doubt that it was malignant maleficence.

Incompetence? By definition, sure..

• Like 2

I can't remember who, but some celebrity took a lot of flack for saying what a lot of people were thinking at the time. 

It sure seemed like nobody in charge cared what was happening to those people. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I can't remember who, but some celebrity took a lot of flack for saying what a lot of people were thinking at the time. 

Chaos breeds contempt.

Edit: I doubt that people were indifferent to the suffering. they were ill prepared and as a result incompetent to deal with the situation.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

I lived through that storm and remember vividly the run-up to it.  Bush had mobilized FEMA a few days in advance and had staged huge amounts of aid nearby.  The governor of the State and the Mayor of the city of New Orleans were both Democrats and would not request Federal aid.  Bush's mistake was in not sending it in any way.  I bet that's a mistake that no president will ever make again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, and then said:

I lived through that storm and remember vividly the run-up to it.  Bush had mobilized FEMA a few days in advance and had staged huge amounts of aid nearby.  The governor of the State and the Mayor of the city of New Orleans were both Democrats and would not request Federal aid.  Bush's mistake was in not sending it in any way.  I bet that's a mistake that no president will ever make again.

However, during the testimony by former Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) chief Michael Brown before a U.S. House subcommittee on September 26, Representative Stephen Buyer (R-IN) inquired as to why President Bush's declaration of state of emergency of August 27 had not included the coastal parishes of Orleans, Jefferson, and Plaquemines.[19] The declaration actually did not include any of Louisiana's coastal parishes, whereas the coastal counties were included in the declarations for Mississippi and Alabama.[20][21] Brown testified that this was because Louisiana Governor Blanco had not included those parishes in her initial request for aid, a decision that he found "shocking." After the hearing, Blanco released a copy of her letter, which showed she had requested assistance for "all the southeastern parishes including the City of New Orleans" as well specifically naming 14 parishes, including Jefferson, Orleans, St. Bernard and Plaquemines.[22]

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiO7e2Y2rDWAhUCOiYKHe6uBtAQFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FHurricane_Katrina&usg=AFQjCNF76b7kC2iy3DbFSoE1Yp7Qc4jk2Q

• Like 1

Responsibility for the design and construction of the levee system belongs to the United States Army Corps of Engineers; the responsibility of maintenance belongs to the local levee boards. The Corps hands components of the system over to the local levee boards upon completion. When Katrina struck in 2005, the project was between 60–90% complete.[1] Four major investigations were conducted by civil engineers and other experts in an attempt to identify the underlying reasons for the failure of the federal flood protection system. All concur that the primary cause of the flooding was inadequate design and construction by the Corps of Engineers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiP3tPe3bDWAhUEbSYKHUPkAB4QFggzMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F2005_levee_failures_in_Greater_New_Orleans&usg=AFQjCNFC8NZUlhPu8FShMSiyZDw3KE7rkg

There was definitely incompetence on many levels, but an "inside job"? That implies that we can control the weather which I don't believe for a second.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nonentity said:

There was definitely incompetence on many levels, but an "inside job"? That implies that we can control the weather which I don't believe for a second.

Unless you believe the HAARP hype, which I don't. 

Although, if you consider that industry's own studies showed they knew climate change was real and we were causing it (before we were all privy to the seriousness of it)...and they're all still lobbying to keep protective measures from happening... 

Well, you have to wonder if the goal is to have worldwide catastrophe that causes a mass die-off. 

On 9/18/2017 at 8:48 PM, ChaosRose said:

You are right about that!  For instance the Mayor....did NOTHING! Some were calling for an evacuation of the 9th ward...pffft.  

Katrina wasn't overlooked by FEMA...it was overlooked by the Banana Republic Democrats IN Louisiana.  We don't refer to Louisiana as a third world country for nothin' you know....

• Like 1

How about the people who built the levee? It would never have been the disaster it was if the levee didn't break. That was federal. (see post 7)

Who could have known that the levee wasn't built right? Locals were responsible for maintenance, but not design and construction. That was the Army Corps of Engineers. 

Edited by ChaosRose

40 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

How about the people who built the levee? It would never have been the disaster it was if the levee didn't break. That was federal. (see post 7)

Who could have known that the levee wasn't built right? Locals were responsible for maintenance, but not design and construction. That was the Army Corps of Engineers. 

Senior officials in Louisiana's emergency planning agency already were awaiting trial over allegations stemming from a federal investigation into waste, mismanagement and missing funds when Hurricane Katrina struck.

And federal auditors are still trying to track as much as $60 million in unaccounted for funds that were funneled to the state from the Federal Emergency Management Agency dating back to 1998.

In March, FEMA demanded that Louisiana repay $30.4 million to the federal government.

The problems are particularly worrisome, federal officials said, because they involve the Louisiana Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, the agency that will administer much of the billions in federal aid anticipated for victims of Katrina.

Earlier this week, federal Homeland Security officials announced they would send 30 investigators and auditors to the Gulf Coast to ensure relief funds were properly spent.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/sep/17/nation/na-money17

There was report after report of how corrupt the local government was. Money that the federal government allocated was continually misappropriated.

• Like 1