Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

60 ancient shipwrecks found in the Black Sea

UM-Bot

Brilliant. I'm looking forward to any pictures that may surface from this.

38 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I wonder why so many ships of different eras are located in that spot?

I did wonder the same myself and thought that it can't be coincidence? I'm pretty sure they will think the same thing too and it'll be investigated. (I hope!) 

4 minutes ago, Stiff said:

I did wonder the same myself and thought that it can't be coincidence? I'm pretty sure they will think the same thing too and it'll be investigated. (I hope!) 

Probably some kind of anchorage or harbor but they are keeping location a secret to protect the site.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Probably some kind of anchorage or harbor but they are keeping location a secret to protect the site.

Hmm. I was thinking it would be a little further out or it would have already been explored/discovered by now, but yes, that would be a strong possibility and make perfect sense.

1 minute ago, Stiff said:

Hmm. I was thinking it would be a little further out or it would have already been explored/discovered by now, but yes, that would be a strong possibility and make perfect sense.

That's why I was thinking an anchorage outside a harbor, especially sine they were study climate change and how it effects population centers of the Black Sea but I am purely speculating and could be completely wrong.

• Like 1

There's a few pictures and a video in this link. I tried to judge how far from the shoreline it is from the video clips but I guess that's probably not guaranteed to be where the wrecks are confusedsn.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4898204/Experts-graveyard-60-preserved-ancient-shipwrecks.html

Chart of Black Sea depths o coast of Bulgaria.  Not an anchorage or harbor at those depths.  

black sea.jpg

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Merc - Maybe it was a harbor or anchorage spot.  They did what they had to do for the times they lived in.  Maybe it's the Black Sea's version of the Bermuda Triangle.Since the wood is preserved, I guess we'll find out more later.

On 19/9/2017 at 7:36 PM, Merc14 said:

Chart of Black Sea depths o coast of Bulgaria.  Not an anchorage or harbor at those depths.  

black sea.jpg

On a side not, looking at the map, I just remembered how cool would it be sailing from Greece through the Dardanelles, Istanbul, around the Black sea and back. 

Well, it would basically be following the Argonauts's journey.