Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alt Right meddling in German elections?

OverSword

From the article:

The Germans are making accusations of “meddling” in their election that is expected to hand Chancellor Angela Merkel a fourth term. But researchers say that this time, Russia isn’t the one doing the “meddling.”

Researchers claim that there is evidence that “right-wing groups in the United States” are behind the materials popping up on YouTube, messaging board sites like 4chan and Reddit, and texting service Gab.ai.

“So far we have not been able to track down any specific Russian activity,” said Simon Hegelich, a professor of political science data at the Technical University of Munich who has advised the German government about the threat of hacking and false information. Yet there is still an online dashboard which monitors “Russian propaganda” about the German election.

Hegelich also said that proving connections among sympathizers is extremely difficult and may never be conclusive. “A lot of the stuff we are seeing in Germany can be linked to, or is at least inspired by, the ‘alt-right’ movement in the U.S.,” Hegelich said, referring to the very loosely defined group.

Source

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Is this what it has come to?  Anyone with an alternate opinion on the internet has been classified as "meddling in elections?"

• Like 7

When it is a cohesive and concerted campaign targeting a specific demographic with intentions of goading them towards a predefined goal and purpose, perhaps so ...

~

:D

~

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

When it is a cohesive and concerted campaign targeting a specific demographic with intentions of goading them towards a predefined goal and purpose, perhaps so ...

~

:D

~

Wouldn't that by definition have to be orchestrated by an actual organization rather than simply the "alt right".  How would that be different than blaming "the left"?  I'm afraid election meddling accusations are a bit nebulous for my taste.

• Like 4

Just now, OverSword said:

Wouldn't that by definition have to be orchestrated by an actual organization rather than simply the "alt right".  How would that be different than blaming "the left"?  I'm afraid election meddling accusations are a bit nebulous for my taste.

When its all virtual, its practically virtually true I guess ... welcome to the new age of digital political storms ... anon the anonymous with anonymity  

~ :tu:

• Like 2

There are people in Germany who are of a more conservative mindset.  what happens if they vote ? OMG

Alt right is just a pejorative used to label something as part of the progressives untouchable caste.

• Like 1

It's a troll's world now. Anything goes. 

Well I guess that the AfD is actually a "AltRt"  but as they are actually contesting the election at the ballot box then they are free to use social media as a tool as much as the CDU and CPD who endlessly drone on with their AltLeft propaganda.

I think this is a case of the "Lefties" needing a bogeyman to blame just in case the AfD do better than expected.

• Like 1