Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

This Neanderthal child grew up just like us

11 posts in this topic

Some 49,000 years ago in what's now Spain, a Neanderthal boy died a few months shy of his eighth birthday. Now, scientists have examined his skeleton in detail—and they claim that the boy's growth largely mirrored that of today's human children.

The find, announced on Thursday in the journal Science, adds more evidence to the notion that long, slow development—thought to help to nurse a larger brain—isn't necessarily unique to Homo sapiens.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/09/neanderthals-humans-development-brain-anthropology-science/

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

"Discerning the differences and similarities in growth patterns between Neanderthals and modern humans helps us better define our own history. Modern humans and Neanderthals emerged from a common recent ancestor, and this is manifested in a similar overall growth rate," explains CSIC researcher, Antonio Rosas, from Spain's National Natural Science Museum (MNCN).

As fellow CSIC researcher Luis Ríos highlights, "Applying paediatric growth assessment methods, this Neanderthal child is no different to a modern-day child." The pattern of vertebral maturation and brain growth, as well as energy constraints during development, may have marked the anatomical shape of Neanderthals.
Article: http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/reconstructing-how-neanderthals-grew-based-el-sidr-n-child-008838

At the Smithsonian: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/did-neanderthal-children-grow-lot-modern-human-children-180964993/

Edited by Eldorado
Added link
2 people like this

The human brain doesn't fully develop until the mid-twenties. The last thing to fully develop is the prefrontal cortex, responsible for reason and impulse control. Teenagers = Neanderthals?

2 people like this

Pretty interesting article. 

Given the title on UM homepage, I was afraid it was one of those publications trying to paint Neanderthals as "more stupid" than us ("their brain grew slower than our, thus they were dumber"). 

Hopefully it is not. 

I don't get why some people are so scared of the idea that Neanderthals could have been exactly like us, if not more intelligent and more developed/sophisticated. 

I thought anthropocentrism died centuries ago. 

On 24/9/2017 at 7:41 PM, Trihalo42 said:

The human brain doesn't fully develop until the mid-twenties. The last thing to fully develop is the prefrontal cortex, responsible for reason and impulse control. Teenagers = Neanderthals?

Why are you drawing that comparison? 

The article doesn't say they didn't develop the prefrontal cortex. 

Can these scientists claim this from one skeleton? Maybe he dropped out of school and played video games all day. Games like GTA (Grand theft Antelope), COD (Call of Dysentery), Farcry Primal (literal edition), WOW (World of What i'm experiencing every day), Minecraft (Hit hard things with your fist edition), Don't Starve, Don't Starve Together etc.

2 people like this

What?  Neanderthals were similar to modern humans?  Next they'll be finding Neanderthal DNA in modern humans.  Oh, wait.

I think it's too early to make such claim with only few fossil

On 9/30/2017 at 9:42 AM, MisterMan said:

What?  Neanderthals were similar to modern humans?  Next they'll be finding Neanderthal DNA in modern humans.  Oh, wait.

Have they found Neaderthal DNA in modern Humans?

7 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Have they found Neaderthal DNA in modern Humans?

Yes they have.  Mostly in the Northern European countries.  According to one study I read red hair is a trait of Neanderthal DNA.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, glorybebe said:

Yes they have.  Mostly in the Northern European countries.  According to one study I read red hair is a trait of Neanderthal DNA.

So Neanderthals were more akin to a different race rather than a different species.