Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Germany’s first wild bison in 250 years shot

Still Waters

A European bison who accidentally wandered over the border into Germany last week was greeted with a bullet, angering conservationists who work to protect the rare species.

The largest land mammal in Europe hadn't been seen in the country in 250 years, reports Lucinda Watts of The Local, but had crossed the border from Poland, where many of the remaining creatures live today, according to the European Bison Conservation Center. Only a few thousand of the animals are estimated to exist in the wild, after being subject to many of the same threats that befell their American cousins.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/first-wild-bison-spotted-two-centuries-germany-shot-180964986/

• Like 3

I'm surprised at the ignorance of German authorities in this matter.  Bisons have never been considered dangerous except in herds that might be spooked.  This is a shame.  The headline of the article is also shameful, IMO.  It gave me the impression that some hunter happened upon the animal and killed it for the pot or a trophy.

• Like 2

Amerikaner ! Achtung Amerikaner ... !

~
( I know I know ... with all these talk about 'borders' and 'illegals' nowadays ... its hard not to be a bit dark with the humor ... )

~

• Like 1