Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

100 people could live on the Moon by 2040

UM-Bot

"Space 1999" here we come!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gary Meadows said:

I highly doubt this will happen.

I'm absolutely certain that it will. Whether it is by 2040 I'm not so sure about, but a lunar base is an inevitable part of the future of space exploration. ESA, the Russians and the Chinese have all expressed a desire to return to the moon and it looks like the Trump administration may direct NASA to do the same (rather than going straight to Mars as has been their recent goal).

The first non-government designed, built and financed lunar landers are due to arrive on the Moon within the next six months as part of the Google Lunar X-Prize competition.

Both NASA and ESA are looking to use commercial lunar landers in the future... in much the same way that NASA now resupplies the International Space Station using commercial contracts and will soon be launching astronauts in the same way. Such commercial spacecraft will lower the costs of landing initially cargo, but ultimately astronauts, on the Moon. Such a fall in price will make, not only research bases, but commercial mining operations on the Moon inevitable.

I'm sure that this is possible. Nasa knows a lot more than they let on for us to believe. I doubt I'll be alive than.

Science has always fascinated me and kept my interest since I was younger. :)

2 hours ago, Gary Meadows said:

I highly doubt this will happen. Fun to imagine though.

it sure is... I have at least a dozen recommendations as to who should be a part of the contingent... 88 spots still available!

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I'm absolutely certain that it will. Whether it is by 2040 I'm not so sure about, but a lunar base is an inevitable part of the future of space exploration.

While I'm sure human beings could and likely will create a moon "base", as "an inevitable part of the future of space exploration", I'm skeptical of the term "space exploration", esp where humans come in... it sounds good -- much like the term "astronaut" does, though it describes rocket-jockeys floating weightlessly 150 kilometers out -- unless you're talking "humans initiating fully-automated space exploration from Luna", it's like me announcing that "I'm off to explore the world!" and not making it past the garage... from where I launch a super-energy-efficient drone to cover/endure the actual distances/pitfalls involved. "Exploration"? yes, the world/space gets explored, just not personally.

Edited by java head

Where have you people ^ been? YouTub says they have been there in their thousands for years.

Well you experts can prove me wrong when this happens. Or doesn't happen. Which is more likely.

1 hour ago, Gary Meadows said:

Well you experts can prove me wrong when this happens. Or doesn't happen. Which is more likely.

Out of interest, why don't you think it will happen?

Even without the facts and figures, it seems a logical step in the progression of space exploration to a layman like me.

If on earth a moonlit walk is romantic, will an earthlit walk on the moon be romantic?

Edited by Nostrodumbass

I understand that politicians are hesitant. In the choice between spending money on healthcare, police etc, or spending it on sending people to a place where they can only be kept alive at an enormous cost and risk, without so much motivation more than it is fun and exciting, the choice is pretty self-evident.

Edited by fred_mc