Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vegetarian dinosaurs had a taste for crabs

Still Waters

Plant-eating dinosaurs usually found plenty to eat, but occasionally they went looking for a nutritional boost. Fossilized dinosaur droppings from Utah now reveal that 75 million years ago, some of the animals were snacking on prehistoric crayfish or crabs.

The work suggests that big herbivorous dinosaurs sometimes munched on crustaceans, likely to get extra protein and calcium into their bodies before laying eggs, says Karen Chin, a palaeontologist at the University of Colorado Boulder.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fossilized-poo-reveals-vegetarian-dinosaurs-had-a-taste-for-crabs/

• Like 7

Geese and duck do the same when they found a frog a crayfish or anything that can fit in, free protein!

Have seen dairy cow eating kitten if they pass in their enclosure on a farm... and not just once.

Well it surely is hard to say it's true for a fact but calcium and egg production surely do have connection.

Now it is most likely wrong to compare Dinos and Dogs but see, Dogs do eat grass from time to time - is it because of fiber ( which organisms do need and dog food, mainly meat, do not have fibers ) or for purpose of cleaning their digestive system? I do not know but such behaviour surely is imprinted in them.

Is it possible that Dinos too had such genes? I believe it is, even tho i do not know the subject at all but this seems logical.

ouch i am sure they had stomach crabs after... like literally

• Like 1

As if crabs didn't have it hard enough already. :angry:

Imagine running from a T-Rex towards the herbivores for some support and protection, and then ending up being painfully gnawed on by a Vegiesaurus with blunt teeth.:cry:

• Like 1

On 09/26/2017 at 5:38 AM, qxcontinuum said:

ouch i am sure they had stomach crabs after... like literally

What a hoot!!! Lol..:D