Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prison tour guide says he was burned...

Black Monk

A prison tour guide is convinced he was burned by the GHOST of an executed murderer.

Paul Toole, 42, felt a searing pain on his hand while showing a group of visitors round Shepton Mallet Prison in Somerset.

He later found he had a cigarette burn - now tour guides refuse to lock up the building alone.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tour-guide-claims-hand-burnt-11163081

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1

If that is a cigarette burn (or, indeed, any burn from anything at all ) I am a very a very  large African river :D  

(I still  have a real scar from a cigarette burn I got over 25 years ago)

looks like a mole

33 minutes ago, Essan said:

If that is a cigarette burn (or, indeed, any burn from anything at all ) I am a very a very  large African river :D  

looks like a mole

It does look like a cigarette burn.

Edited by Saru
Link removed due to graphic content

It looks nothing at all like a burn to me.  And I have had have many - lncluding a scar I  stilll  have from a cigarette burn - which unlike that in the picture, is not raised.  And is not trangular!!!!!!!!

The interesting question is does the burn have a normal or paranormal cause. I would think he would now if it was a natural cause. And then skeptics will say he's lying but that would make the 1,001st time that explanation's been used. It is hard for me to believe these skeptics have been correct 1,001 straight times. Just applying logic and my understanding of human nature to this.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

The interesting question is does the burn have a normal or paranormal cause.

Normal.

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

And then skeptics will say he's lying but that would make the 1,001st time that explanation's been used.

He's lying. (Actually, he may not believe he is lying and may well think there is paranormal explanation. Even then, he is still lying)

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It is hard for me to believe these skeptics have been correct 1,001 straight times.

Hard to believe or not, it's 1001 straight times that they have been.

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Just applying logic and my understanding of human nature to this.

Which, time and time again has proven not to be the best explanation of any of these kind of events.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Normal.

He's lying. (Actually, he may not believe he is lying and may well think there is paranormal explanation. Even then, he is still lying)

Hard to believe or not, it's 1001 straight times that they have been.

Which, time and time again has proven not to be the best explanation of any of these kind of events.

Sounds like just blind prejudiced statements to me. Have at it.

i gave some reasoning.

Edited by papageorge1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The interesting question is does the burn have a normal or paranormal cause. I would think he would now if it was a natural cause. And then skeptics will say he's lying but that would make the 1,001st time that explanation's been used. It is hard for me to believe these skeptics have been correct 1,001 straight times. Just applying logic and my understanding of human nature to this.

My understanding of human nature is lots of people lie. And also, my understanding of human nature is that there can be many causes for something that people are not thinking of , because 'certain types'   always look for a paranormal explanation .

" Lying and cheating are so commonplace that you probably don’t have to look far to find them. In fact, your own neighborhood and perhaps your own household is full of it."

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/nlp/2014/01/scandalous-emotional-benefits-of-lying-and-cheating-research/

(as well as 'psychological benefits, I can link to academic articles showing the extent and reason for the need to lie to hold societies together. )

It wouldn't harm you to broaden you knowledge base about human nature  Pap .

-

I have a bit of an unusual pain thing going myself ... often I don't notice it.   A while back I took off my shirt to go for a swim and friends were  .....    :o

Me ; 'What ?  What's that look for ? "

" Your chest and stomach !  What the hell happened ? "    I looked down and three long, deep. parallel, reddened and starting to scab scrapes  and one going off at an angle .

Me;  " Mhe ... dunno . "   and one person ;  "what you mean 'you don't know' " ?

So I had to think back a bit ... of yeah , on the tractor the other day, clearing overgrowth, a  broken off branch stump from a fallen tree ran into me as I was going past, I couldn't be bothered to go in reverse so just slowly ploughed through .  If no one had noticed, I probably would have forgot the incident .

And that's the truth !   You might think I am lying ,  but ......     that would make the 1,001st time that explanation's been used   ;) 

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 3

Sounds like just blind prejudiced statements to me. Have at it.

i gave some reasoning.

It sounded entirely reasonable ...   applying logic and my understanding of human nature to this.

And that comes from 30+ years of studying  anthropology, comparative religion, history, philosophy, the occult and the supernatural. And also bearing in mind, I practice shamanism and was a practicing ritual magician for 15 years, so any concept of me being a close minded , material rationalist sceptic is defunct.

What's your experience in the  field Papa, that gave you your  logic and  understanding of human nature   ?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, back to earth said:

My understanding of human nature is lots of people lie. And also, my understanding of human nature is that there can be many causes for something that people are not thinking of , because 'certain types'   always look for a paranormal explanation .

" Lying and cheating are so commonplace that you probably don’t have to look far to find them. In fact, your own neighborhood and perhaps your own household is full of it."

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/nlp/2014/01/scandalous-emotional-benefits-of-lying-and-cheating-research/

(as well as 'psychological benefits, I can link to academic articles showing the extent and reason for the need to lie to hold societies together. )

It wouldn't harm you to broaden you knowledge base about human nature  Pap .

-

I have a bit of an unusual pain thing going myself ... often I don't notice it.   A while back I took off my shirt to go for a swim and friends were  .....    :o

Me ; 'What ?  What's that look for ? "

" Your chest and stomach !  What the hell happened ? "    I looked down and three long, deep. parallel, reddened and starting to scab scrapes  and one going off at an angle .

Me;  " Mhe ... dunno . "   and one person ;  "what you mean 'you don't know' " ?

So I had to think back a bit ... of yeah , on the tractor the other day, clearing overgrowth, a  broken off branch stump from a fallen tree ran into me as I was going past, I couldn't be bothered to go in reverse so just slowly ploughed through .  If no one had noticed, I probably would have forgot the incident .

And that's the truth !   You might think I am lying ,  but ......     that would make the 1,001st time that explanation's been used   ;) 

Mistakes and lying can occur of course. 1,001 times in a row on all the paranormal cases I have heard. I definitely do not think so and don't need an expert to tell me that.

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Mistakes and lying can occur of course. 1,001 times in a row on all the paranormal cases I have heard. I definitely do not think so and don't need an expert to tell me that.

Lying is pretty much like exaggerating, isn't it ?

We know the bolded isn't  exactly true, as we have read your posts and their debunking ... many times you have been offered multiple reasons to explain supposed paranormality , other than anyone lying at all .

So it appears you are just making it up as you go along .

And it doesn't need an expert to observe that, as it was so obvious.

• Like 2

... and NONE of what I said before suggested the prison guard was lying in the first place !

- you must have missed that bit ?

15 minutes ago, back to earth said:

We know the bolded isn't  exactly true, as we have read your posts and their debunking ... many times you have been offered multiple reasons to explain supposed paranormality , other than anyone lying at all .

I don't get  it. Are you thinking that because you came up with some possible normal explanation, that makes it the correct explanation?? You could even claim lying to make every case go away, but is that reasonable?

I don't know what happened with certainty in this case and neither do you. But I have to doubt the string of 1,001 straight for the normal side on all the strong seeming cases I have heard. That is what my logic tells me!

Let's see...it's getting close to Halloween. So you need to rustle up some business. Which leads to making up a "ghost" story to get people to visit a place. Seems legit.

• Like 4

This story appeared in the tabloid press - the Sun and the Mirror - nowhere else. Their readership might be expected to believe it but no one else. We are only given the tour guide's testimony. The reporters made no effort to obtain the evidence of the people on the tour.

The story is an insult to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and any level of skill in critical thinking. The tour guide said he never let on to his tour group that he was being given a third degree burn to his hand. Despite experiencing a searing pain he never uttered a sound or showed any sign that he was under attack. He didn't even look to see what was happening at the moment he was being burned. He is reported as saying: 'I tried to ignore it while I was stood in front of the visitors. When I looked down at it later it looked like a cigarette burn'. 

Yeah, right. And pigs can fly!

• Like 5

I don't get  it. Are you thinking that because you came up with some possible normal explanation, that makes it the correct explanation??

Of course not !  How on earth did you get that idea ?  

I am just saying what you are saying ... but in reverse .  You never seem to notice that, do you.

IE.  Are YOU thinking that just because that 'mirror newspaper'  reported it that it or the guard has the only correct explanation ?

Think it through Man !

You could even claim lying to make every case go away, but is that reasonable?

You see ... this  ^ is the way you 'operate'  ;   declaring  my reasoning is  to make every case 'go away' . 

Every case of what Papa ? 

Yes, every case of reported , or what you consider ' paranormal ' ?

If I want 'every case to go away', why am I (it seems ) the only person that constantly cites 'diamonic reality ' theory (and rapidly get ignored by sceptics and believers alike, I might add ) ..... and you never respond or engage in it when the discussion gets deeper as to possible other causes. Or just change subject or accuse me of something, go off and start up again in the same vein elsewhere.

DR theory might even have solutions to whatever it you are chasing here .

I don't know what happened with certainty in this case and neither do you.

Thanks for the finger wagging lecture but where did I claim to know what happened 'with certainty'  .  More made up stuff about me .

I pointed out that I myself injured myself and it left marks but I promptly forgot about it . Its not the only time I have found an injury that I didn't know how it got there .  

But now, anyone reading this that cant follow a conversation (like you )   is thinking I claimed the guard lied .... and that all paranormal cases are cases of people lying .

I am not sure wether you do this on purpose or not.  I am assuming,  not .  You just have your attention focused 'elsewhere'  even when reading clear simple text .

But I have to doubt the string of 1,001 straight for the normal side on all the strong seeming cases I have heard. That is what my logic tells me!

What does  " I have to doubt the string of 1,001 straight for the normal side  "     even mean  ?   What 'string of 1,001 '  ????

I guess if I don't understand how you got to that phrase .... I will never understand your 'logic'  :huh:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Let's see...it's getting close to Halloween. So you need to rustle up some business. Which leads to making up a "ghost" story to get people to visit a place. Seems legit.

Some time back some UMers did a little research on  a specific claim about  'alien skulls' in a museum in Sth America somewhere. It was reported by DR  so and so of some University .... turns out he had a doctorate in economics and was the current minister for tourism   :D 

It was exposed and thoroughly debunked .  The peeps that put it up as proof of something here  felt 'bullied' after wards and cried unfair .

:rolleyes:

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

This story appeared in the tabloid press - the Sun and the Mirror - nowhere else. Their readership might be expected to believe it but no one else. We are only given the tour guide's testimony. The reporters made no effort to obtain the evidence of the people on the tour.

The story is an insult to anyone with a modicum of intelligence and any level of skill in critical thinking. The tour guide said he never let on to his tour group that he was being given a third degree burn to his hand. Despite experiencing a searing pain he never uttered a sound or showed any sign that he was under attack. He didn't even look to see what was happening at the moment he was being burned. He is reported as saying: 'I tried to ignore it while I was stood in front of the visitors. When I looked down at it later it looked like a cigarette burn'. 

Yeah, right. And pigs can fly!

' mere details '     :D 

Well ... a good tour guide ......  through rain and hail , sleet and snow .... the tour must go

...  on    :) 

Image result for Benny Hill salute

• Like 1

6 hours ago, back to earth said:

Some time back some UMers did a little research on  a specific claim about  'alien skulls' in a museum in Sth America somewhere. It was reported by DR  so and so of some University .... turns out he had a doctorate in economics and was the current minister for tourism   :D 

It was exposed and thoroughly debunked .  The peeps that put it up as proof of something here  felt 'bullied' after wards and cried unfair .

:rolleyes:

Seems to still be a thing.

• Like 2

This definitely smells like Ghosts to me (slightly acidic). Lets tick off the list shall we:

1. Place makes money from tourism - tick

2. Tour guide was the only experiencer - tick 

3. Evidence can be interpreted in any number of ways - tick

4. No other supporting evidence - tick

5. Only reported in the tabloids and even then the less credible ones - tick

At this point I'm going to need to come down on the side of Ghosts and or Aliens.  What are the chances that so many tour guides at famous locations are all lying? They have nothing to gain! 

Not only this but I've seen evidence of Ghosts at Disneyland, outside the haunted house!! Co-incidence? I can't believe Disney would fake something just for the money.  Lets not forget the laws of mathematics and probability here - If you have one pile of cow manure it's cow manure, a 1,000 piles must be evidence of something more than cow manure.  

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Black Monk said:

He later found he had a cigarette burn - now tour guides refuse to lock up the building alone.

Considering the Ghost attacked him mid tour, when he was surrounded by people, I'm not sure how someone reached the conclusion that being alone is the problem.  Obviously the prison will need to pay another guide to ensure the safety of the first.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Once again with a made up number. There is no 1,001 times in a row. It is just another made up number to pretend that there is some support to your argument.

The simple fact of the matter is that there is zero evidence, nada, nothing to consider a paranormal claim for this incident.

• Like 1

The photo looks like an ordinary cut injury. It appears to be shallow. It shows no reddening we'd expect from a recent wound. It is the sort of injury incurred from a sharp edge. Someone needs to get a file in there and remove the burr on whatever made the injury to prevent any of the tourists or guides from being injured.

He added that the prison has visits most weekend from a paranormal group most weekends, who record voices and sounds around the prison.

I'm sure attendance is up since this was reported. It is important to keep revenue flowing.

My psychic powers tell me that paranormal group visitation was down and this has gotten them back to paying for a visit.

1 hour ago, I'mConvinced said:

This definitely smells like Ghosts to me (slightly acidic). Lets tick off the list shall we:

1. Place makes money from tourism - tick

2. Tour guide was the only experiencer - tick 

3. Evidence can be interpreted in any number of ways - tick

4. No other supporting evidence - tick

5. Only reported in the tabloids and even then the less credible ones - tick

At this point I'm going to need to come down on the side of Ghosts and or Aliens.  What are the chances that so many tour guides at famous locations are all lying? They have nothing to gain! 

Not only this but I've seen evidence of Ghosts at Disneyland, outside the haunted house!! Co-incidence? I can't believe Disney would fake something just for the money.  Lets not forget the laws of mathematics and probability here - If you have one pile of cow manure it's cow manure, a 1,000 piles must be evidence of something more than cow manure.  

In a weird way, I thoroughly enjoy your sadistic levels of sarcasm. B)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Essan said:

looks like a mole

18 hours ago, Black Monk said:

It does look like a cigarette burn.

18 hours ago, Essan said:

It looks nothing at all like a burn to me.  And I have had have many - lncluding a scar I  stilll  have from a cigarette burn - which unlike that in the picture, is not raised.  And is not trangular!!!!!!!!

I don't know exactly what a cigarette burn looks like. :mellow: I don't smoke.

But regardless, it should be blatantly obvious this story is bunk. I mean for God sakes people, I believe in ghosts whole-heartedly and still don't buy this crap. To any of my fellow paranormal enthusiasts out there - You don't have to believe in every paranormal claim that people make. That's just plain stupid. How do you expect for people to you seriously if you're so quick to jump on the bandwagon and support a bunch a hoey whole-stop just because it's supposedly a ghost. You have to take this stuff seriously.

ONLY when ALL natural explanations have been fully exhausted, can one even begin to suggest that the cause is 'paranormal'. That's why the MAJORITY of ghost videos and audio recordings I reject as either possibly having a natural explanation or just simply inconclusive. It's just that simple.

• Like 2