Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space measured with a gyroscope for gravity

trevor borocz johnson

In this experiment they used a gyroscope to measure for changes in space alone. They showed that space-time can be distorted and has properties of its own. https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/04may_epic

What keeps me amazed is how every calculation/experiment which tests Einsteins theory always come up so true to his predictions. These probes are surely marvels of engineering i was fascinated by it's technical specification when i read about it.

And probes actually managed to 'record' curvature of spacetime around the Earth.

What I find more amazing (and beautiful) than experiments validating general relativity, is that the governing equations for general relativity, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, etc. are always the simplest ones possible for that phenomenon.

All of these theories were determined by scientists realizing fundamental relationships (time and space, gravity and acceleration, particles and waves, etc.) and then searching for equations that provided those relationships.

There are many (probably infinite) equations, increasing in complexity, that will provide the necessary relationships.

The Einstein field equations, the Schrodinger equation, the Dirac equation, the Maxwell equations, etc. --- the ones that are repeatedly supported by experiments --- are always the simplest possible equations describing the necessary relationship.

• Like 1