Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Saudi women to be given right to drive

Still Waters

Saudi Arabia's King Salman has issued a decree allowing women to drive for the first time, state media say.

Government ministries are to prepare reports within 30 days and the order will be implemented by June 2018, according to the Saudi Press Agency.

Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world to forbid women from driving.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41408195

• Like 1

To Sharia standards whatever that means....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

To Sharia standards whatever that means....

Probably have to be accompanied by a male.

• Like 1

Just now, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Probably have to be accompanied by a male.

Seriously why does the west prop up these despots, women are people not possesions to do with as you will.

• Like 1

Now I get why SA heads "human rights" for the UN. Their progressive values give us all something to aspire to.. *barf*

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Now I get why SA heads "human rights" for the UN. Their progressive values give us all something to aspire to.. *barf*

Even the UN panders to these Neanderthals.

• Like 1

The problem is if others tell Saudi Arabia how they should live then they will be cast as bigoted western people who don't respect the cultures of others. There is an almost insane element where by the same people who champion gay rights, rights for women, religious tolerance will also champion the right to live under Sharia. The fact that these ideas strongly conflict never seem to enter into their minds.

Its high time. I'm just wondering if we will see a man in the passenger seat while his wife drives in SA. Even where I live some men seem to dislike their wives driving when they are in the car, not sure why and may sound strange but its true. Saw a colleague being picked up by his wife the other day and she got in the passenger seat to let him drive. Is it just me that noticed that, anybody? 

Its all rather strange in the Kingdoms in the sand -  as anyone looked at their actions lately, IE the last two years or so. Only recently the Saudis, Qatar, UAE, Omanis, they are all buying military equipment strangely equipment they don't need. take Qatar, Qatar is buying 72 F15QA, 24 Rafale and now 24 Typhoon's totally not needed by the Gulf state, they are buying the equipment for influence as its becoming abundantly clear economically they are facing a cliff edge, the oil money is going to run out as the world moves towards green energy, electric cars etc.. most Car manufactures are stating they'll be electric by 2020-2030.

The Gulf states are seeing the writing on the wall, we were told oil will one day run out it now seems the oil will outlast that prediction - as a result the Gulf states need to start diversifying their economies and with that their social attitudes also have to change to encourage the future investment needed especially from Western countries who find it politically embarrassing when facing questions of investing or sell to such places with terrible human rights. - This Saudi thing of allowing women to drive is part of this new policy.

I'd make as much money from the gulf states as possible and then drop them like a stone in the future. payback is a b****.

16 hours ago, Eldorado said:

That's the only thing they had right.

No i fisagree with you thier is alot of good things Saudia done till now for you,your dollar and money and jobs and cheap oil it is coming from your agents the king of Saudia

The US since the second world war supporting strongly this dectatorship regiem for its own intrests and never could dare to criticzie them,you can read in the historical record what Rosfelt sayed after his meeting with the King Abdel Azeez in 1945.

Donald Trump sayed after his last visit to Saudia this year .....we will have jobs jobs jobs see the tv news, he went back with billions of dollars profits of his trip to the rich arabic countries,the west selling to the region wepons,buy cheap oil,creating or supporting land crises,supporting dectatorship,building its civilization on the arabic muslim blood

So im sure if you ask your Government they will tell you how good to have such dectator friends

• Like 1

While i surely do applaud this decision it, by itself, points out flaws of Saudis. Hypocrisy is noticeable through out their history, both in international ( since forming of state ) and internal affairs.

This comes as an icing on the cake.

Well, as time goes one can't fail to notice how, for Saudi Arabia, it's only history which connect that area to Islam because of Mekka and Medina, holy places, among other things. As an Muslim i am very disappointed but also grateful because i had chance to learn that to be Muslim you do not need to copy anyone, especially not nowadays Saudi Arabia, but simply to follow teachings from only credible source for Muslims, Quran.

In there, womans have far greater role and respect which should have stopped this sick violation of their rights before happening and not to have womans be subjected to official decision about if they could drive a car.

Saudis are sick dictators who destroy image of Islam in the world and now its almost official ( visit of Saudi royalty to Israel ) that, from this year, they are big supporters of Israel regime and their interests in the region. I hope they enjoy their royal dinner.

9 hours ago, white prince said:

So im sure if you ask your Government they will tell you how good to have such dectator friends

Only in nature opposites attract but certainly not in politics. [edit] to clarify : they share the same goals, USA and Saudis, hence theirs alliance. 

I love your reference to 1945. To talk about Saudis and international politics in general one has to take fairly large amount of information to get near clear picture.

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot

• 1 month later...