Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why some people love animals and others don't

Still Waters

Some people are into pets, however, while others simply aren’t interested. Why is this the case? It is highly probable that our desire for the company of animals actually goes back tens of thousands of years and has played an important part in our evolution. If so, then genetics might help explain why a love of animals is something some people just don’t get.

https://theconversation.com/the-science-behind-why-some-people-love-animals-and-others-couldnt-care-less-84138

• Like 3

I'm not sure about some of the claims made in the article. There is a difference between (some) people who like to keep pets, and those who truly love animals for what they are. Pets were often kept for a reason: cats to kill mice, dogs as protection, but were still loved for the individuals they were. More and more they seem to be owned to fill a gap in the owner's life, with little or no regard for the needs of the animal(or bird). These days, I would say that a lot of pet owning is born out of the inadequacies in the owner's mental health. 

• Like 1

I have always loved and kept dogs around.  As a kid, we kept one but my mom was strictly against the dog ever coming inside.  My wife (who was a Veterinarian before medical school, never wanted to leave one outdoors without a dog door for access.  My Avatar is a stock photo of a Beagle but it looks exactly like my dog Minnie.  The wife bought her for me as a pup, shortly after we married.  That dog helped me through the loss of my mom.  Beagles are not the brightest dogs but they sure can be fun to have around :) 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting question. I enjoy in a company of cats. They are independent little monsters. I like to watch them play, analyse their behaviour and also enjoy in a mere presence of them. They look so mysterious with their body language and don't want to be tamed which I find amusing. Purring is great. Don't like dogs though. Not as refined as cats.

Good point.

I grew up with cats and dogs and hamsters and birds and fish and so on. We always had animals arround in my youth (even had the idea at certain points in my youth that I lived in some sort of zoo).

Since I started to live on my own I always had or a cat or a dog or both. At this moment just one cat since my dog died earlier this year after 14 years. 

For some reason I dont like spiders and snakes and Im phobic towards bee's and wasps. For the rest I actualy like all sorts of animals.

Besides the advantage you have by keeping dogs and cats (dogs are good guards against burgalars or help you defend youreself when attacked by someone else, cats hunt mices) it is also a fact that both are not capable  of lying like humans can. They are loyal and brutaly honest. Dogs and cats are even capable in comunicating with humans they can tell you things in there own way. Maybe that is one off the reasons I prefer the company off animals over the company of humans. My mom had the same idea in this matter and also my brother and wife shares this idea with me.

3 minutes ago, Blaid Drwg said:

it is also a fact that both are not capable  of lying like humans can.

One of big advantages of animals. Though I had cats for over 6 years now I wouldn't say that they love me. I love them a bit, but not too much. We get along OK.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Argon said:

One of big advantages of animals. Though I had cats for over 6 years now I wouldn't say that they love me. I love them a bit, but not too much. We get along OK.

It is so that every cat seperate has there own unique character same with dogs but lets stay with cats since you brought it up. :)

Before the cat I have at this time I had another one wich we named Ducky (me and my wife are NCIS fans and called him after Donald "Ducky" Mallard). Ducky was a cat like I never had before and never will have again probably. I could honestly say we loved each other very much. How can you tell? Well coming home from work he would sit always at the exact same spot waiting for me when I entered the appartement. When I went to sit on my desk to work on the pc he would join me and lay himself on my desk. When I went to sleep he would always lay very close to me. And every morning I had to check my backpack before leaving for work because he would put himself in there (once arrived at work with him still in my backpack).

Our current cat (Ducky died about 6 years ago) Tara is nothing like that. She sleeps with us yes on the bed but all the way back at the footend and only hear here when she is hungry. Mostly if she lays down with us it is with my brother or wife. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaid Drwg said:

I could honestly say we loved each other very much. How can you tell? Well coming home from work he would sit always at the exact same spot waiting for me when I entered the appartement. When I went to sit on my desk to work on the pc he would join me and lay himself on my desk. When I went to sleep he would always lay very close to me. And every morning I had to check my backpack before leaving for work because he would put himself in there (once arrived at work with him still in my backpack).

My cats are almost always around me, but I think that they are just waiting for some sign which will signalise them that food is near. Don't get me wrong, I am not that sarcastic. I don't mind such a behaviour. But I think only one cat that I have has some interest in me other than food. I have a feeling that a creature actually likes me. If you ask why do I think so, i really can't explain. But for the other ones they are just cool to be around. I like when they enjoy they life and sometimes they just enjoy my company when they sit near me.

1 minute ago, Mr. Argon said:

My cats are almost always around me, but I think that they are just waiting for some sign which will signalise them that food is near. Don't get me wrong, I am not that sarcastic. I don't mind such a behaviour. But I think only one cat that I have has some interest in me other than food. I have a feeling that a creature actually likes me. If you ask why do I think so, i really can't explain. But for the other ones they are just cool to be around. I like when they enjoy they life and sometimes they just enjoy my company when they sit near me.

Oh no worry I actualy love sarcastic humor :) Sometimes my cats and dogs where victim to that humor of mine. Like for instance having there food give it to them than draw it away just to see how they react. Hilarious in lots of cases. Now before people state they should do that to me to see how I react well my wife and my brother does that already they love the same kind of humor. :) 

• Like 1

I should do that too with my beasts. Great idea. :D