Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is MAJOR Paranormal sightings on a decline?

DragonFire22

On 10/1/2017 at 8:14 PM, Astra. said:

The decline of belief or popularity into the paranormal etc... might be subsiding because we are finally (and hopefully) reaching a new era where fantastical notions concerning ghosts, ghouls and goblins are becoming a thing of the past, because most people are now starting to 'wake up' to the fact that these things don't really exist. They only exist in the heads of those who want them to. As a matter of fact (please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not quite sure if Hollywood even bothers to make as many 'spooky' movies about ghosts / and or paranormal films concerning this type of theme or genre anymore, simply because they aren't as popular as they use to be.    

"These things don't really exist" is not a fact, by far....

It's not proven, so not a matter of 'fact'!

Edited by DragonFire22
  • Like 1

Still plenty of shows about the paranormal. I'd say it's about the same as usual.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2017 at 3:30 PM, XenoFish said:

If there is a decline it's because people perhaps got smarter and quit thinking everything was a ghost.

Or maybe they just tired of a bunch of idiots stumbling around in the dark going, "What was that???? Did you hear that??? OMG!"

• Like 2

I think there's just no news lull that allows them to do too much fluff these days. 

I mean where are you gonna squeeze in ghosts when there's North Korea, Trump tweets, hurricanes and mass shootings going on? 

47 minutes ago, DragonFire22 said:

"These things don't really exist" is not a fact, by far....

BOO!

images_58.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't say those paranormal TV series are considered good Paranormal sightings sources. Most of them aren't very convincing, but good ghost videos or photos that trends or appear in mainstream media is getting less and less!

Edited by DragonFire22

9 hours ago, DragonFire22 said:

I'm sorry but that list isn't very convincing that there were was a habit of numerous stories out of the mainstream cable news media to begin with. That's more like 1-2 stories every 5-6 years.

Local stations and newspapers have usually been the more reporting sources for paranormal things. Ghost stories, ghost hunts and tours, haunted properties up for sale or being demolished or destroyed by arson.. local news tends to report that stuff, and regularly. Right now with Halloween coming up, ghost tours and walks have increased a lot, and news is talking about it- I just posted about a dozen links to ghost tours yesterday. Cemetery vandalism also increases greatly this time of year, sometimes quadrupling the regular monthly vandalism reports- mainstream media just rarely picks these stories up. Like last year during October, there were around 35-40 vandalism's, sometimes multiple ones on the same day- but only 1-2 cemeteries made it to the mainstream media, and that was a rarity.

I'm not too sure about belief shifts in the general populace... but there have been shifts on how people get their spook on, and I think this plays into the general scheme of paranormal. People want to be entertained by their spooky, enjoy the thrill. So the paranormal shows have increased, people can watch the action- or no action, heh. Things like ghost tours have increased a lot over the last several years- and so have amusement haunts. These are safe, legal, controlled ways for folks to get their spooky on.

Something that has decreased along with this- reports of people doing illegal trespassing for ghost hunting. It's gotten less appealing to try sneaking into an off-limits place or taking the road trip when there's a legal option available. Reports of hunters getting hurt or dying while illegally hunting have decreased as well.

On 02/10/2017 at 6:24 AM, Timonthy said:

Read what you just wrote. 

Man English is not my first language if i wrote something wrong feel free to point what it is because i cant see it. Thanks.

On 02/10/2017 at 6:58 AM, Astra. said:

Because it's simply not logical, and surely more of us would be seeing them if they were real. Why on earth do they only seem to appear to the 'special kinda snowflake people' ?..what makes some human beings more special than other human beings for goodness sake ? 

I was not talking about ghosts in a scary movie way. There are many things once believed not logical that today are facts but what the hell do i know... Just my opinion.

On 10/3/2017 at 11:41 PM, Astra. said:

BOO!

images_58.jpg

No you really don't actaully know for sure ghosts exists or not. Doesn't seem like they exist is more common sense because most people never seen one, but it is still unknown thing! Some people claim to seen them, so whether it's a lie or something that they misunderstood, no one knows for sure! When you don't know something for sure, therefore it ISN'T a fact.

Edited by DragonFire22

14 hours ago, rashore said:

I'm sorry but that list isn't very convincing that there were was a habit of numerous stories out of the mainstream cable news media to begin with. That's more like 1-2 stories every 5-6 years.

Local stations and newspapers have usually been the more reporting sources for paranormal things. Ghost stories, ghost hunts and tours, haunted properties up for sale or being demolished or destroyed by arson.. local news tends to report that stuff, and regularly. Right now with Halloween coming up, ghost tours and walks have increased a lot, and news is talking about it- I just posted about a dozen links to ghost tours yesterday. Cemetery vandalism also increases greatly this time of year, sometimes quadrupling the regular monthly vandalism reports- mainstream media just rarely picks these stories up. Like last year during October, there were around 35-40 vandalism's, sometimes multiple ones on the same day- but only 1-2 cemeteries made it to the mainstream media, and that was a rarity.

I'm not too sure about belief shifts in the general populace... but there have been shifts on how people get their spook on, and I think this plays into the general scheme of paranormal. People want to be entertained by their spooky, enjoy the thrill. So the paranormal shows have increased, people can watch the action- or no action, heh. Things like ghost tours have increased a lot over the last several years- and so have amusement haunts. These are safe, legal, controlled ways for folks to get their spooky on.

Something that has decreased along with this- reports of people doing illegal trespassing for ghost hunting. It's gotten less appealing to try sneaking into an off-limits place or taking the road trip when there's a legal option available. Reports of hunters getting hurt or dying while illegally hunting have decreased as well.

I mean I just didn't link all the articles, to save TIME! There are much MORE, of course.

I indeed felt like I seen more paranormal/ghost articles/news on MSM in the past, but not so much NOW days.

Edited by DragonFire22

14 minutes ago, DragonFire22 said:

No you really don't actaully know for sure ghosts exists or not. Doesn't seem like they exist is more common sense because most people never seen one, but it is still unknown thing! Some people claim to seen them, so whether it's a lie or something that they misunderstood, no one knows for sure! When you don't know something for sure, therefore it ISN'T a fact.

Oh go away. And don't tell me what I know and don't know. Why I even bothered engaging in your silly thread is beyond me. 

14 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Oh go away. And don't tell me what I know and don't know. Why I even bothered engaging in your silly thread is beyond me. 

I don't mean to offend you. What, why you feel that way? Aren't allowed to disagree with you, or something?? :huh:

Plus WHY are you telling me to go away? I might believe in Ghosts, which is WHY I am on here, unlike you. Why are non-believers even on a Ghost/Paranormal forum? What reason? That I like to know!

Edited by DragonFire22

Woah, hey folks.. let's not tell each other to go away or negatively question why others are here. All members here have the right to post their opinions, and folks can be nice and civil in their discussions.

Folks from all degrees of the spectrum are here on UM- from the most hardcore non-believers to the most hardcore believers. We are all here because we have an interest in unexplained mysteries. What that interest is depends on the person of course. But having the full spectrum is one of those things that makes UM a great site- a lot of sites tend to fall onto one side of the spectrum or the other, but there aren't a lot of sites out there that hosts all the sides. Sometimes the discussions get a bit too into hostile debates or commentary, but that's what the moderators, report button, and the site rules are for. But let's all try to discuss things nice please.

So let's talk about the topic, if there has been a decline in reports from major news media.

I'm disagreeing with you Dragon, because I haven't noted this. I'm into the research and lore tripping aspect of paranormal phenomena. Been actively hunting reports and stories for years, well before I was even a member here on UM. For years since I've been a member, I've regularly started topics posting about news reports on various ghost stories. Consistently over the years the local media picks it up more, and the mainstream hasn't, and just as consistently IMO.

Also back to your OP Dragon, of youtube. I've been less of a youtube follower, I'm a bit more old school. And I have noticed that some of the older sites that sprang up in the later 90's/early00's have fallen a bit flat as far as updates go... Angelfire and other pages of the like used to update, but that fell off around the late 00's. StrangeUSA used to be a great "hotpage" site, that was regularly commented on by folks, and it was kind of nice because legal updates were posted too. But that has fallen off.

Blogs and webpages have skyrocketed.. and tempered a bit off too in more recent years. I think like cable shows market, the internet market has become a bit saturated. There's a rather generous handful of these that have kept up with good consistent postings.. but a lot of them have fallen off to the wayside. Along with this, creepy-pasta phenomena/stories have dwindled- saturation again. But conflagrations of "killer clown syndrome" UL's are popping up more. An interesting note there is that when killer clowns pop up, those are usually picked up PDQ by the mainstream media nowadays.

And a true decline in major media over the last 15 years or so, with an increase over the last few years.. Books. With the increasing availability of paranormal cable shows that take you all over, youtube, blogs, webpages, forums, and in-person spooky availability or not being broadcast by the local media.. books on the subjects have declined.

The main problem I have with any paranormal video is they can be faked too easy. As for stories/claims of paranormal events. They should be presented and treated as a subjective experience. I think Rashore mentioned something about an oversaturated market. Ghost shows are a dime a dozen at least they used to be. I don't watch tv anymore so I don't know. But when I did it seemed like every station had some kind of ghost show.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:55 PM, Colectivo said:

Sceptics always want proof of everything... Do you have proof that ghosts don't exist?

Don't get me wrong im not saying they do (i don't know) but how can you be sure they don't?

To be fair, proof would be the way to see and show that ghosts exist. So it really shouldn't be a negative thing to seek for proof of something. It's just so hard to see people who do honestly seek out proof, as opposed to those here who label themselves skeptics, but are actually here to seek non existence of proof. They're shams. 

• Like 1

I think that people are just fed with fake news. There was so much stories about ghosts and paranormal that was total lie and fake in medias and now what happened is that people do not believe in anything anymore. This is just a human nature.

My experine said that maybe 10 till 20 % of paranormal stories are really true, but because of lies and fake stories people do not want to believe in nothing anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 6:27 PM, DragonFire22 said:

I remember over the previous years, there are numerous reporting of ghosts, or other unexplained paranormal events on main media like CNN, Fox News, ABC, etc.

However, I do not see that happening this couple years much anymore. And I also look at this site, it's mostly about Ancient mysteries, strange science, strange animals, or Conspiracy stories and not much on ghosts and paranormal stories. This seems very apparent to me.

A few Youtube channels I like such as Top5s (https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTop5ss/videos) are also getting low on good Ghosts and Paranormal videos.

So, my question is 1) Is there a decline as I am feeling (do you guys agree)? and 2) What is causing this decline?

I don't think it is on the decline. I think there are just too many charlatans and fraudulent videos out there to sift through.  The real deals have less credibility because of all the fake stuff, the fake ghost shows, etc.  It's all a joke now in the mainstream.