Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is MAJOR Paranormal sightings on a decline?

DragonFire22

I remember over the previous years, there are numerous reporting of ghosts, or other unexplained paranormal events on main media like CNN, Fox News, ABC, etc.

However, I do not see that happening this couple years much anymore. And I also look at this site, it's mostly about Ancient mysteries, strange science, strange animals, or Conspiracy stories and not much on ghosts and paranormal stories. This seems very apparent to me.

A few Youtube channels I like such as Top5s (https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTop5ss/videos) are also getting low on good Ghosts and Paranormal videos.

So, my question is 1) Is there a decline as I am feeling (do you guys agree)? and 2) What is causing this decline?

Edited by DragonFire22
  • Like 1

Not everything is a ghost, but are there much ghosts/paranormal stories that's even reliable and worth sharing to other intellectuals anymore?

BTW, Ghosts and Paranormal including demons is (or was) my FAVORITE Unexplained Mystery TOPIC.

Edited by DragonFire22

53 minutes ago, DragonFire22 said:

So, my question is 1) Is there a decline as I am feeling (do you guys agree)? and 2) What is causing this decline?

The decline of belief or popularity into the paranormal etc... might be subsiding because we are finally (and hopefully) reaching a new era where fantastical notions concerning ghosts, ghouls and goblins are becoming a thing of the past, because most people are now starting to 'wake up' to the fact that these things don't really exist. They only exist in the heads of those who want them to. As a matter of fact (please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not quite sure if Hollywood even bothers to make as many 'spooky' movies about ghosts / and or paranormal films concerning this type of theme or genre anymore, simply because they aren't as popular as they use to be.    

• Like 4

The problem is it's not provable , simple to fake , and as near a religion as one can get . Human senses are to easy to fool . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DragonFire22 said:

1) Is there a decline as I am feeling (do you guys agree)? 

I am feeling a major increase with the internet and cable networks bringing this stuff to public exposure. My TV has gotten swamped with ghost stories and other paranormal things. I actually have seen a HUGE increase. And I think that is a good thing as this cultural taboo against rational people believing in the paranormal is now in decline.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am feeling a major increase with the internet and cable networks bringing this stuff to public exposure. My TV has gotten swamped with ghost stories and other paranormal things. I actually have seen a HUGE increase. And I think that is a good thing as this cultural taboo against rational people believing in the paranormal is now in decline.

OP said ‘main media’, so not your internet/cable syfy paranormal subscriptions.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

OP said ‘main media’, so not your internet/cable syfy paranormal subscriptions.

OK, I never recall the paranormal being a big deal on 'main media' in the past in my lifetime. Do you?

4 hours ago, Astra. said:

The decline of belief or popularity into the paranormal etc... might be subsiding because we are finally (and hopefully) reaching a new era where fantastical notions concerning ghosts, ghouls and goblins are becoming a thing of the past, because most people are now starting to 'wake up' to the fact that these things don't really exist. They only exist in the heads of those who want them to. As a matter of fact (please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not quite sure if Hollywood even bothers to make as many 'spooky' movies about ghosts / and or paranormal films concerning this type of theme or genre anymore, simply because they aren't as popular as they use to be.    

Sceptics always want proof of everything... Do you have proof that ghosts don't exist?

Don't get me wrong im not saying they do (i don't know) but how can you be sure they don't?

• Like 1

I gotta say, I don't recall CNN or Fox News or any of the other main cable news networks doing many paranormal stories to begin with. Smaller non-cable local stations of ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and CW news still have paranormal stories pop up, typically with more around Halloween time or for an anniversary of something, or when something gets vandalized or demolished, or a local gets a fun story going on.

I think the popularity of paranormal shows in general has increased. There are several ghost shows, a few Bigfoot/cryptic shows, at least one popular aliens show, a smattering of oddity and quests for obscure lores sorts of shows. Years ago we had a couple shows, like In Search Of, and Ripley's Believe it or Not... in the mid90's that started increasing, then 2000-2007ish saw a lot more, and in the last decade the market has become rather saturated.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

OK, I never recall the paranormal being a big deal on 'main media' in the past in my lifetime. Do you?

Nope, not in Aus. There’s the odd token paranormal story every now and then. But that’s it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Nope, not in Aus. There’s the odd token paranormal story every now and then. But that’s it.

Same here. The premise of the OP seems wrong then.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Colectivo said:

Sceptics always want proof of everything... Do you have proof that ghosts don't exist?

Don't get me wrong im not saying they do (i don't know) but how can you be sure they don't?

Read what you just wrote. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Colectivo said:

Because it's simply not logical, and surely more of us would be seeing them if they were real. Why on earth do they only seem to appear to the 'special kinda snowflake people' ?..what makes some human beings more special than other human beings for goodness sake ? 

• Like 2

I personally feel that it's important to keep an open mind when dealing with the paranormal since we have no definitive way of proving/disproving the existence of such things.

I can't state that they definitely don't exist since I have no way of verifying that in any sufficient way, but neither can I state they do exist because the evidence in circulation is far from concrete and is widely faked.

As far as a decline in experiences goes it's most likely due to more and more people using logic and critical reasoning to evaluate their situations (like other posters have mentioned). You'll probably find that 9 out of 10 recorded experiences can be explained via normal means. The other 1 out of 10 is merely unexplainable, not necessarily paranormal in origin.

The issue is that when someone is bias towards believing in ghosts they have a tendency to blind themselves to other possible explanations.

^_^

• Like 2

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I am feeling a major increase with the internet and cable networks bringing this stuff to public exposure. My TV has gotten swamped with ghost stories and other paranormal things. I actually have seen a HUGE increase.

The reason for TV stations to increase the broadcast of this stuff isnt because they think there are paranormal events, the increase is because of marketing reasons. Increasing viewer rates = increasing sales on TV commercials.

And I think that is a good thing as this cultural taboo against rational people believing in the paranormal is now in decline.

See above. And, there is no cultural taboo but there is an increase on national dulling, proved by the increasing broadcast and increasing viewing figures of this stuff.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, toast said:

The reason for TV stations to increase the broadcast of this stuff isnt because they think there are paranormal events, the increase is because of marketing reasons. Increasing viewer rates = increasing sales on TV commercials.

See above. And, there is no cultural taboo but there is an increase on national dulling, proved by the increasing broadcast and increasing viewing figures of this stuff.

So, anyway, I think we are both agreeing that the answer to the OP question: Is MAJOR Paranormal sightings on a decline?  would be 'No'.

You, think so because of a dulling of our collective intellect supported by media for profit. Me, because of the valid interest this stuff deserves when one seriously starts to think about this stuff and listen to everyday experiencers.   

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

With Halloween around the corner. I kind of expect on influx of ghost stories to pop up on UM.

This month is called Ghostober on one of the networks I frequent. 31 days of the paranormal.

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

This month is called Ghostober on one of the networks I frequent. 31 days of the paranormal.

papa don’t do it! Brain cells will reduce to critical levels. I do hope you avoid a vegetative state.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

So, anyway, I think we are both agreeing that the answer to the OP question: Is MAJOR Paranormal sightings on a decline?  would be 'No'.   

I did pop in a couple of articles in a post yesterday relating to there being a certain amount of decline of interest into the paranormal. It seems the post was removed though. I don't quite understand why it had been removed, as there were no derogatory remarks, and I thought it stayed in line with the OP / topic. It was simply some information, for your own choosing to read or not.

Anyway such is life, and I'll now bow out of this thread and leave you to whatever you want to believe. 

On 10/2/2017 at 1:58 AM, Astra. said:

Because it's simply not logical, and surely more of us would be seeing them if they were real. Why on earth do they only seem to appear to the 'special kinda snowflake people' ?..what makes some human beings more special than other human beings for goodness sake ? 

I don't think you have to be special to have a paranormal experience. Weather they are logical or not, I couldn't say. I do know for a fact they happen though.

I've never experienced all kinds of things that others have. Doesn't make them more special, just different. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 2

Iv'e got my opinion, you've got yours. Lets leave it at that :tu:

• Like 1

A lot of these "paranormal" encounters have to do with the state of mind a person is in at the time. Someone in great grief might see a deceased loved one (I did). Altered states of consciousness, under the influence of drugs, booze, or done through meditation can create visual, auditory, and tactile hallucinations. Altered state of consciousness is a big thing in occultism, so is cultivated expectation. It has a lot to do with our minds, how we remember, mis-remember, and unconsciously fabricate a paranormal, supernatural, and especially a "Psychic" experience. I occasionally see light and shadow figures at work, but I can almost 100% promise that it's due to mental exhaustion. I think it was November last year I made a status update about working for nearly 20 hours straight and was seeing things. Our minds can really screw with us under the right or wrong conditions depending on perspective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astra. said:

Iv'e got my opinion, you've got yours. Lets leave it at that :tu:

What fun would that be?