Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
Scudbuster

Carl Sagan on Religion

106 posts in this topic

I certainly miss Carl - he always displayed amazingly clear logic, delivered with that measured well spoken style of his: 

5 people like this

I disagree with the atheism, but fully agree with the arrogance of religion. Agree or disagree, he's always been a damn good speaker.

3 people like this

Funny; my only exposure to him was "Cosmos" (starring Carl Sagan and co-starring The Universe), and the only impression I carried away from it was that he walked like he had a cork up his ****.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

Funny; my only exposure to him was "Cosmos" (starring Carl Sagan and co-starring The Universe), and the only impression I carried away from it was that he walked like he had a cork up his ****.

That was the thought you carried away from Cosmos? I weep for your soul.

4 people like this

I thoroughly enjoyed the screenplay version of Contact.  If his book was half as good then he was a great entertainer but I found him to be quite comfortable talking down to people of faith.  I just wish that scientists would drop the arrogance and admit that they can't prove that a Creator doesn't exist, any more than a believer can prove that He does.  Eventually, it will become a moot issue because the Creator is going to give the message in person.  What a day that will be.

1 person likes this

I used to look forward to that day too, until it hit me a lot if people i knew and cared for were probably going to hell...

5 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

I used to look forward to that day too, until it hit me a lot if people i knew and cared for were probably going to hell...

That is a hard pill to swallow.

4 people like this

19 minutes ago, and then said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the screenplay version of Contact.  If his book was half as good then he was a great entertainer but I found him to be quite comfortable talking down to people of faith.  I just wish that scientists would drop the arrogance and admit that they can't prove that a Creator doesn't exist, any more than a believer can prove that He does.  Eventually, it will become a moot issue because the Creator is going to give the message in person.  What a day that will be.

There's nothing to observe, that's why.

Science is observation of physical phenomena and evidence.....so in this case, there's nothing out there, and there never has been.

5 people like this

3 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Science is observation of physical phenomena and evidence.....so in this case, there's nothing out there, and there never has been.

To be fair, theres nothing out there we have scientifically verified... Doesnt rule out the possibility.

1 person likes this

Just now, Scudbuster said:

Thank you for presenting my exhibit A.  This is the attitude I speak of.  All truly historic, seismic advances in science have come as a result of man's intuitive abilities that they then apply the rigid scientific method to.  When the mind is closed to an area of investigation, there can be no intuition to work from.  The attitude that you present is typical of those who are resolute in the idea that if their method of discovery cannot find a thing then it cannot possibly exist.  As I said, what a day that's going to be...

1 minute ago, and then said:

Thank you for presenting my exhibit A.  This is the attitude I speak of.  All truly historic, seismic advances in science have come as a result of man's intuitive abilities that they then apply the rigid scientific method to.  When the mind is closed to an area of investigation, there can be no intuition to work from.  The attitude that you present is typical of those who are resolute in the idea that if their method of discovery cannot find a thing then it cannot possibly exist.  As I said, what a day that's going to be...

You are refering to the rapture, no? I dont understand how you can look forward to such a day?

I look forward to the time that will FOLLOW that day much more than the day itself.  The horrors that are listed in Revelation are mostly brought on by man's actions.  The rest are God's wrath on a world of men that take pleasure in inflicting horrors on each other.  In short, our species is becoming ever more obviously on a path to self-destruction.  Since I believe this, I look forward to the day that such men will be removed and a time of justice and real peace can come in for the survivors.  Given these two choices, which would you choose?

5 hours ago, and then said:

I just wish that scientists would drop the arrogance and admit that they can't prove that a Creator doesn't exist, any more than a believer can prove that He does.  Eventually, it will become a moot issue because the Creator is going to give the message in person.  What a day that will be.

Which scientists? 

You can’t see the difference between proving something does exist, and proving something doesn’t exist?

It’s kinda ironic. Proving something does exist requires evidence (which there’s no real evidence of in this case), while proving something doesn’t exist requires no evidence (which is the case)...

You will not see that day before you die, unless it’s some kind of delusion. Willing to put money on it too. We’d have to get some kind of legal contract drawn up though. 

2 people like this

15 hours ago, and then said:

Another non-event like the creation myth. The "creator" seems to be more interested in creating stories.

2 people like this

Excellent 15 minute interview with this highly talented Biblical scholar. 

Suggestion:  "And Then" - I feel this is something that will be highly informative and enlightening for you:

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

Suggestion:  "And Then" - I feel this is something that will be highly informative and enlightening for you:

This was fantastic, thanks for posting it. I haven't heard of her before, I've gotta consume more of her material.

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

That's Francesca Stavrakopoulou, a british theologian and broadcaster. I'd advise against taking her opinions as a blank check for truth, even though she has some very interesting ideas. May I suggest Bart Erhman, Elaine Pagels, Robert Price, Stephen Hoeller to get other equally interesting viewpoints on the Bible and Jesus?

Edited by TruthSeeker_
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

And of course don't forget the late, great, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, and the Atheist Experience, in particular Tracie Harris and Matt Dillahunty, who are featured here:

Edited by Scudbuster
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Scudbuster said:

And of course don't forget the late, great, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, and the Atheist Experience, in particular Tracie Harris and Matt Dillahunty, who are featured here:

The New Atheist movement is bunk. I'm really not impressed by some privileged ''know-it-alls'' telling the poor that they’re idiots. I don't think they bring anything interesting on the table either, other than a blind faith in science and a form of dogmatic materialism.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

59 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

The New Atheist movement is bunk. I'm really not impressed by some privileged ''know-it-alls'' telling the poor that they’re idiots. I don't think they bring anything interesting on the table either, other than a blind faith in science and a form of dogmatic materialism.

I'm greatly impressed by those who have chosen to expend untold countless hours to dig into the available evidence and bring to light the sheer magnitude of errors/hypocrisy that exists in religious texts.

Bravo I say, and hopefully they continue to bring to light additional facts and information. This is far better than those who choose to blindly follow, never applying much in the way of critical thinking and sucking down the religious Kool Aid by the gallon.

There's nothing to observe? 

Except observing the scientist look for God in the evidence of physical phenomenon, where he can't be found on the outside, while he goes unrecognized residing on the inside. 

1 person likes this

I watched a little of the video and it appeared to be a rebash of things that would apply only to conservative forms of Abrahamic religions; the punching bag of atheists.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

I'm greatly impressed by those who have chosen to expend untold countless hours to dig into the available evidence and bring to light the sheer magnitude of errors/hypocrisy that exists in religious texts.

The intolerance, dogmatism, and dangerous self-certainty of the new atheists mirrors that of religious fundamentalists.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

The intolerance, dogmatism, and dangerous self-certainty of the new atheists mirrors that of religious fundamentalists.

Actually, I'm completely open on this subject, just looking for proof of the wild claims I see/hear. I think it would be great if there really was a beneficial "god" out there. 

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

I think it would be great if there really was a beneficial "god" out there. 

It's quite possible that (to quote Philip K. Dick)  ''The bleakness, the evil and pain in this world, the fact that it is a deterministic prison controlled by the demented creator causes us willingly to split with the reality principle early in life, and so to speak willingly fall asleep in delusion.''

There doesn't have to be a 'beneficial god' at the origin of the Universe.

Edited by TruthSeeker_