Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why does anything exist

Adampadum123

Before there was something, there was nothing. And out of nothing, how did we get something? What existed before the big bang, before creation, and before God?

Ok it becomes very confusing when we throw in theories about other dimensions and non-linear time, but all of these theories fail to answer this most fundamental of all questions, Why does anything exist?

• Like 1

Be cause

Edited by Will Due

1 hour ago, Adampadum123 said:

Before there was something, there was nothing. And out of nothing, how did we get something? What existed before the big bang, before creation, and before God?

Ok it becomes very confusing when we throw in theories about other dimensions and non-linear time, but all of these theories fail to answer this most fundamental of all questions, Why does anything exist?

I think life that exists that can observe that there is a something rather then nothing is the answer to the question. Without life to observe it, its sort of like does a tree falling in the woods make a sound if no one is around? 

• Like 3

It's the eternal inhalation and exhalation of existence.  Balance between existence and non-existence.... or so the ancient hindu texts say :P

• Like 1

Why must we live that we must die? :(

6 hours ago, Adampadum123 said:

which one and whose god?

That is one of 'those' questions without an answer, at least not just jet. Personally, existence isn't possible exactly because of question you ask, '' what was before, where all of this is '' but we know we do exist. Contradictory by itself, the existence.

If there are many Universes ( like in multiverse theory ) still those multiverses exist and there has to be boundary, the end of it all somewhere but there can't be nothing after. Nothing doesn't exist and also, infinite can't exist either.

Religion teach us that only divine 'mind' can comprehend this. So, from our perspective - if there is divine being then divinity exists and it exists somewhere, resides in some space and that space, in which divinity exists, can't be infinite but if something exists and if it's finite there has to be something outside of it.

Even if there is life after death, in some form of energy being that we all would become then energy too is subjected to laws of physics and to same questions we ask now. 

Maybe one day some spark will reveal new intelligence which will answer some questions. I am thankful to be able to think of this, even tho i didn't get any further in conclusions after many years, still at the start. That says something too, but what? :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

You presuppose.

I didn't presuppose anything I asked a question isn't that what blogs or about smart guy lol.read the description it says why does anything exist that's a question you answer that :) of voice an opinion 

Brilliant question. In fact I believe this to be the ultimate question. I have my own hypothesis concerning this topic, but it's rather lengthy so I'll refrain for the time being.

What I will say is this: What this question is ultimately searching for, is the fundamental 'first cause', the universe's most natural state of being. It assumes 'nothingness' to be the most basic and natural state of existence (for good reason), and that if something other than nothingness just simply forever was or is, then that something must be explained as to why it necessarily always was/is as opposed to any other possible something.

In other words, if there is something (whatever it might be) that has always existed 'before' anything else and is the original most basic state of existence, what is t and why it as opposed to anything else?

This is why many have posited speculations as to the existence of an infinite something, as in an infinite God or an infinite multiverse. After all, the opposite of nothing is everything, and it makes more sense to say that everything exists as opposed to nothing rather than some specific finite thing exists rather than nothing, as one would then question why the specific finite something as opposed to any other finite somethings?

Like I said, I have my own lengthy hypothesis regarding this topic, but I'll have to come back and type it all out another time. Great topic though. Just wanted to throw this out there first for people to nibble on.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Brilliant question. In fact I believe this to be the ultimate question. I have my own hypothesis concerning this topic, but it's rather lengthy so I'll refrain for the time being.

What I will say is this: What this question is ultimately searching for, is the fundamental 'first cause', the universe's most natural state of being. It assumes 'nothingness' to be the most basic and natural state of existence (for good reason), and that if something other than nothingness just simply forever was or is, then that something must be explained as to why it necessarily always was/is as opposed to any other possible something.

In other words, if there is something (whatever it might be) that has always existed 'before' anything else and is the original most basic state of existence, what is t and why it as opposed to anything else?

This is why many have posited speculations as to the existence of an infinite something, as in an infinite God or an infinite multiverse. After all, the opposite of nothing is everything, and it makes more sense to say that everything exists as opposed to nothing rather than some specific finite thing exists rather than nothing, as one would then question why the specific finite something as opposed to any other finite somethings?

Like I said, I have my own lengthy hypothesis regarding this topic, but I'll have to come back and type it all out another time. Great topic though. Just wanted to throw this out there first for people to nibble on.

Thank you it's nice to get someone with intelligence on here instead of negative morons that don't have anything decent to say lol 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adampadum123 said:

Thank you it's nice to get someone with intelligence on here instead of negative morons that don't have anything decent to say lol 

Yeah I'm really loving that encouraging attitude you've got there. Really makes people want to give you a good response. Great job there champ.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, trevorhbj said:

I think life that exists that can observe that there is a something rather then nothing is the answer to the question. Without life to observe it, its sort of like does a tree falling in the woods make a sound if no one is around? 

The falling tree creates various waves and that's all that there is to it. We experience those waves in our own unique way but that doesn't change what they physically are. If no one was around the tree would still fall and still produce the same physical waves when doing so.

This leads me to believe in a reality that exists independently of our conscious experience of it.

We create the notions of something and nothing. As far as we know there isn't any such thing as absolutely 'nothing', try to give an example and you'll see. We build the concept of nothing from our limited and mortal perspective. Everything must have a beginning or an end for it to fit into our experience of existing. I think we have already solved the conundrum with the conservation of energy law of thermodynamics.

It all comes back to the concept of infinity for me. If the proposition that energy cannot be created or destroyed is true then to me, logically, energy or matter must have existed eternally. We just cannot conceive how this works from our restricted vantage point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adampadum123 said:

I didn't presuppose anything I asked a question isn't that what blogs or about smart guy lol.read the description it says why does anything exist that's a question you answer that :) of voice an opinion 

39 minutes ago, Adampadum123 said:

I'd like it stated for the record that I don't like you. I hope this doesn't colour my future responses to you but it might and so I felt it was only fair to tell you.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Adampadum123 said:

Space never had a beginning, nor will it ever end time wise. It has no boundaries in any direction. If life ever ceases to exist everywhere, that does not make space cease to exist. It is simply a void. And when I say "space" I mean only space, and not the matter (universe or multiverses) within it.

As to where the matter came from, probably energy. Remember, there are forces out there we don't understand, and many we probably do not even know exist, that could create energy, and the through other processes, create matter from that energy. When gravity is thrown in the mix, it gathers all this new matter and pulls it together creating building blocks for larger things. Eventually it could have been pulled into such a gravitational pull that nothing escaped, like the big bang(s)  But something triggered the release of all that matter. Hence our known universe was born. How long all this took who can say? At least this is my opinion.

Matter from light:  http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_16-5-2014-15-32-44

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 5

Its a question what keeps having questions for answers. My mind becomes blown after awhile when i think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

As to where the matter came from, probably energy

Matter and energy are two sides of the same coin so all matter is energy. This is what Einstein proved with E=MC².

Energy = Mass * The speed of light squared. Where mass is matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

I'd like it stated for the record that I don't like you. I hope this doesn't colour my future responses to you but it might and so I felt it was only fair to tell you.

21178496.jpg

3 hours ago, Adampadum123 said:

I'll take a compliment any day, so thank you for that. But at the same time there's no need to compliment anyone at the expense of others.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, I'mConvinced said:

Matter and energy are two sides of the same coin so all matter is energy. This is what Einstein proved with E=MC².

Energy = Mass * The speed of light squared. Where mass is matter.

Urrrghhh  ....    ummm  .......     Matter is a ' form ' of mass. While all matter exhibit the characteristics of mass, not every mass exhibits the characteristics of matter.

Matter is a poorly defined concept, while mass is scientifically, well developed concept.  Mass is a measureable quantity, while the matter is not. Matter is more of a 'concept' .

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Urrrghhh  ....    ummm  .......     Matter is a ' form ' of mass. While all matter exhibit the characteristics of mass, not every mass exhibits the characteristics of matter.

Matter is a poorly defined concept, while mass is scientifically, well developed concept.  Mass is a measureable quantity, while the matter is not. Matter is more of a 'concept' .

Very true, people use the word matter when they really mean mass. I wasn't really aware of it as a concept before but I'll look into it, I just assumed they were used interchangeably.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taniwha said:

Why must we live that we must die? :(

Depends on who you ask. Some people think a lower entity wanted an ant farm.

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Depends on who you ask. Some people think a lower entity wanted an ant farm.

Ok. I will ask you. Why must we live that we must die?

Just now, taniwha said:

Ok. I will ask you. Why must we live that we must die?

Well, I don't know if I believe in an actual Demiurge. But the myth goes that it made the world and that it's not very nice. So it likes to make stuff suffer. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Well, I don't know if I believe in an actual Demiurge. But the myth goes that it made the world and that it's not very nice. So it likes to make stuff suffer. 

Demiurge? I had to Google that one. There's still things that you find pleasant about life right?

Actually you got me thinking.  Have you ever heard of Cotards Syndrome?

The strange, rare medical condition that leads people to insist they don’t actually exist...

https://qz.com/798315/cotards-syndrome-the-rare-medical-condition-in-which-people-believe-theyre-dead-or-dont-exist-could-provide-clues-to-self-awareness-for-ai-experts-building-robots/

Which beggars the question, if we know that we are alive, will we know when we are dead?

And what is the very essence of life and death?

Edited by taniwha