Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Half the universe’s missing matter found

Waspie_Dwarf

Somehow I got trouble to believe this to be true. I mean in this subject there are tests being done to determine what this dark matter realy is. So far I know this test was being done with axions wich would be according to them a very good candidate to be the dark matter. If these baryons would be the dark matter would this not have been determined already or are baryons something they recently discovered?

Edited by Blaid Drwg

20 minutes ago, Blaid Drwg said:

Somehow I got trouble to believe this to be true. I mean in this subject there are tests being done to determine what this dark matter realy is.

Except this article has absolutely nothing to do with dark matter.

20 minutes ago, Blaid Drwg said:

If these baryons would be the dark matter would this not have been determined already or are baryons something they recently discovered?

Baryons are ordinary matter. That is the entire point.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Baryons are ordinary matter. That is the entire point.

So these baryons fit in where exactly? The pie below is what the universe would be made off according to NASA. These baryons are atoms or does it belong in to the dark energy?

121236_NewPieCharts720.png

8 hours ago, Blaid Drwg said:

So these baryons fit in where exactly? The pie below is what the universe would be made off according to NASA. These baryons are atoms or does it belong in to the dark energy.

From the article:

This is the first detection of the roughly half of the normal matter in our universe – protons, neutrons and electrons

and:

Two separate teams found the missing matter – made of particles called baryons rather than dark matter

In other words baryons are the particles which make up atoms.

• Like 3

So the galaxies are tethered together with these baryons.  I guess they have to strength or grow in some manner as the universe is still expanding.  Hopefully they won't act like a bungee cord and snap back after they are fully stretched?  If they do/did, maybe the cause of the "Big Bang"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paperdyer said:

So the galaxies are tethered together with these baryons.  I guess they have to strength or grow in some manner as the universe is still expanding.  Hopefully they won't act like a bungee cord and snap back after they are fully stretched?  If they do/did, maybe the cause of the "Big Bang"?

This word "baryon" seems to be causing a lot of confusion. Baryons are simply a series of subatomic particles, including the protons, neutrons and electrons which form ordinary atoms. They are simply the same stuff that makes up you, me the sun, planet earth and all the rest of ordinary matter in the universe.

Indeed the article actually tells you what form these baryons take:

Two separate teams found the missing matter – made of particles called baryons rather than dark matter – linking galaxies together through filaments of hot, diffuse gas.

(my emphasis)

In fact the article refers to these baryons as being gas a further SIX times.

So they do not need to have magical powers growing powers, it's just gas.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 4

That's what I get for speed reading at work.

• Like 1

Super cool (or hot in this case?)! 

So, did they possibly detect Whim instead of dark matter? 

• Like 1

I wonder how the filaments got there? Left from when the galaxies condensed?

Intergalactic contrails? 

• Like 1

it is  my unproven/unprovable opinion that the big bang from this cycle of existence was so powerful that much of the materal that resulted  was blown into dust that is so small it cannot be seen.... but isn't radiation a molecular material? and if it is, is that considered a part of the visable universe yet to be found, or already found?

• Like 1

And yet, the missing half of Trump's brain remains undiscovered.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:38 AM, mysticwerewolf said:

but isn't radiation a molecular material?

Not really.  Electromagnetic radiation (light) and Particle Radiation (Alpha, Beta, etc.) are composed of subatomic particles.  But I suspect you meant "matter," not "molecular material."  In that case, yes, radiation is matter.