Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
rashore

What are your favorite ghost stories?

17 posts in this topic

Halloween is coming on, and I thought it would be fun to have a thread about folks favorite true ghost stories. I don't mean the question of the endless debate on if ghosts exist or not, so folks, please skip those arguments in this thread please. These haunts can be debunked ones, some of the most fun ones are. But please, skip the hashing and rehashing of that for elsewhere.

I mean this thread to be a more enjoyable stories around the bonfire of true accounts rather than fave fiction- that will be another thread for another day. 

So in light of sharing some good spooky... a few favorite stories of mine....

The Chase Vault in Barbados: http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-chase-vault

Bachelors Grove Cemetery. A note about this one, it isn't abandoned. It's owned and attended to: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor's_Grove_Cemetery

The brown lady photo: http://www.destinationamerica.com/thehauntist/ghost-on-the-staircase-the-brown-lady-of-raynham-hall/

 

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

My personal favourite:

https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/enfield-poltergeist

Quote

In 1977, a house in the north London suburb of Enfield was the scene of violent disturbances of apparently paranormal origin. The occurrences were similar to those reported in other cases of the ‘poltergeist’ type: knockings and other noises with no apparent cause; doors opening and closing by themselves; furniture overturned; small objects hurled across rooms; picture frames ripped from walls; small fires that started and went out by themselves, and suchlike. The events continued for just over a year and in many cases were witnessed by neighbours, investigators, technicians, press reporters and broadcasters, police officers and others

The girls played some tricks for sure but the deeper you look into this the more mysterious it becomes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Ted the Caver 

While maybe not a classic type ghost story this internet classic is worth the read. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Link to story

Quote

About ten years ago, a little girl living in the comfortable Boston suburb of Newtonville began talking with a nice grandmotherly lady upstairs whom nobody else in the house had met and whose feet always floated above the floor.

The girl’s parents researched the imaginary friend’s name, Mrs Woodman, along with another name they’d heard from their daughter, Gridley. They discovered that a real Jane Gridley Woodman had lived in their house at the turn of the Twentieth Century. The little girl’s Mrs. Woodman had seven children, as had Jane, with the same number of boys and of girls as Jane’s children.

The visits lasted for years. At some point, the apparition began to ask the little girl for a favor. It was just a hint at first, but Mrs Woodman became more and more insistent as time went on.

The story includes a link to the regional US cable TV station coverage of the story. The blog gives some some additional background information on the people involved, and there's a bonus link to a second up-beat real-life ghost story at another blog.

 

Edited by eight bits
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

 Ted the Caver 

While maybe not a classic type ghost story this internet classic is worth the read. 

That was awesome, thank you.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the Bell Witch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My all time favorite haunted house movie is this one. Perhaps it's because it made such an impression on me as a child.          3942035-l.jpg                                                                                            

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy listening to the stories on Anything Ghost Show podcast. Tonights the perfect night for me to enjoy a Friday the 13th since the wife is out and I have the house all to myself...but all I feel like doing is sitting on my laptop :( Guess I should make some popcorn and try to find a good horror movie at the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend was walking through the neighborhood and seen an apple tree, he went and knocked on the door to ask if he can pick some apples, a really old lady answered and said omg you are so young, take as many as you'd like, took a bunch home, next day went down the same street, apple tree looked as if it had been dead for years, no answer at the door, his uncle said no one has lived there for years and thst apple tree hasn't made apples in 25 years let alone had someone living there... Yet he still had ghost apples at his house! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine is a truck driver and one of the drivers he worked with had a fatal crash in his truck. Weeks later my friend drove by the spot where it happened and he claims he saw the guy that was killed standing at the side of the road exactly where it happened. He smiled and waved at him. He stopped his truck and got out but he had disappeared. I don't believe in ghosts but he swears it happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like non-fiction stories the best.  I know that's kind of stupid, but I like to read down to earth tales that stay within the realm of believable versus over the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bruce Wade said:

I like non-fiction stories the best.  I know that's kind of stupid, but I like to read down to earth tales that stay within the realm of believable versus over the top.

Welcome to UM Bruce :st

I like both fiction and non-fiction ghost stories. And I gotta say, sometimes the non-fiction ones can be more over the top than the fictional ones! And sometimes, we get a good juicy fictional one trying to pass itself off as non-fiction- don't see those too often around here anymore.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rashore said:

Welcome to UM Bruce :st

I like both fiction and non-fiction ghost stories. And I gotta say, sometimes the non-fiction ones can be more over the top than the fictional ones! And sometimes, we get a good juicy fictional one trying to pass itself off as non-fiction- don't see those too often around here anymore.

Thanks for the welcome. You are right about that.  I have read a few non-fiction books that bordered on ridiculous. The Uninvited comes to mind. It's pretty much Amityville without the murders.

But I'm the same way with movies too.  I don't get into fantasy too much.  I like it to be as realistic as possible, even if sometimes it is fiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bruce Wade said:

Thanks for the welcome. You are right about that.  I have read a few non-fiction books that bordered on ridiculous. The Uninvited comes to mind. It's pretty much Amityville without the murders.

But I'm the same way with movies too.  I don't get into fantasy too much.  I like it to be as realistic as possible, even if sometimes it is fiction.

I'm not sure quite what you mean by realistic.. by some arguments, any ghost story isn't realistic because ghosts aren't real. By fiction and non-fiction I'm meaning the difference between what are purely made up fictional stories for enjoyment vs folks having experiences/accounts/stories/reports of reputed hauntings.

So what are some of your favorite non-fiction ghost stories?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rashore said:

I'm not sure quite what you mean by realistic.. by some arguments, any ghost story isn't realistic because ghosts aren't real. By fiction and non-fiction I'm meaning the difference between what are purely made up fictional stories for enjoyment vs folks having experiences/accounts/stories/reports of reputed hauntings.

So what are some of your favorite non-fiction ghost stories?

I guess I just mean they seem real. Although I am a firm believer in paranormal phenomenon. You know, nothing like people's heads spinning and such. I guess you just said it.  I like the personal experience stories. I like reading books from paranormal investigators or even just a story from a person who witnessed something. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Enfield encounter gets raked up a lot over here in the uk. Whilst the girls might of added to the paranoia surrounding the happenings. Looking at it from all ways, there is no way they could have created all that went on, it just doesnt seem possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bluearmy78 said:

The Enfield encounter gets raked up a lot over here in the uk. Whilst the girls might of added to the paranoia surrounding the happenings. Looking at it from all ways, there is no way they could have created all that went on, it just doesnt seem possible.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I watched a video that exposed it as a fraud. The children (now grown up) admitted to faking it and the Warrens had zero to do with the case. Yes, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.