Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oxford: first city to ban all petrol & diesel

Still Waters

On 12/10/2017 at 2:59 PM, Derek Willis said:

It's a bit ironic considering how many petrol and diesel vehicles have been made in Oxford during the last century.

On a related subject. In the UK about 67% of the cost of a liter of petrol/diesel is tax (fuel duty plus VAT). Does anyone know how much tax is paid on the electricity used in electric vehicles? I would imagine it is currently very low, which makes running electric vehicles economic compared to petrol/diesel. However, the government is going to have to raise its taxes from somewhere, so as and when electric vehicles become dominant, people will be in for a shock. I also assume electric vehicles will only be rechargeable at regulated charging points in order that the tax can be collected. I would imagine there are already plans whereby a GPS will record where a vehicle was recharged, and if this was not at an official charging point, the tax police will swoop. This reminds me of Michael Faraday's reply when asked to what purpose will electricity be put? He answered, "I don't yet know, but whatever it is the government will tax it".    

How long before we see a solar panel tax.

On 10/13/2017 at 0:20 PM, Black Monk said:

London, 2027:

article-2636260-1E1CC34C00000578-585_964

People complain about the smell of petrol and diesel fumes. Imagine what all that horse **** smelled like!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

People complain about the smell of petrol and diesel fumes. Imagine what all that horse **** smelled like!

One kills, one doesnt.  No contest   (and I much prefer the smell of horse **** !)

3 minutes ago, Essan said:

One kills, one doesnt.  No contest   (and I much prefer the smell of horse **** !)

Well now, one of my great, great uncles slipped on a pile of horse **** and cracked his skull. He died a day later, no doubt still smelling of the stuff.

I am sorry to hear that.   Today he would have been able to sue the council for £10m because he wasnt looking where he was going ......

2 hours ago, Essan said:

I am sorry to hear that.   Today he would have been able to sue the council for £10m because he wasnt looking where he was going ......

The story is quite a legend in my family. I have ancestors who died courageous deaths in the Crimean War and other conflicts over the last century and a half, including the First and Second World Wars. One was a mercenary in the Spanish-American war of the 1890's, survived that, but was blown up whilst working on the Panama Canal. The excuse regarding my great, great uncle's ignominious demise was that he had had a bit much whisky to drink, and slipped on the horse **** after staggering from a pub. But yes, these days he could have probably sued the council! 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2017 at 8:47 AM, Setton said:

If only these scientists (presumably who you mean by environMentalists) could devise some kind of transport that's like a car but doesn't run on oil. 

And electric car even! No, such things are surely sci-fi. It must be either diesel or horses :rolleyes:

Well, the thing with electric cars is that they need electricity, which is usually created by a coal plant, which really isn't any better for the planet then burning gasoline. However, it will improve the breathing in the downtown, moving the pollution out around the coal plant. :lol:

EDIT: Looking at the Wiki for Power Generation in England, it seems that only about a third of the electricity comes from coal plants, and a third from natural gas, and another fifth from nuclear. So.... That would mean that OVERALL, an electric car (In southern England) has about half the carbon footprint of a regular petrol driven car.

Edited by DieChecker

Aye, we are weaning ourselves off coal here in the UK - but the problem is that electricity generation is only just keeping up with current demand, our nuclear plants are most aging and due for decommission, we have few new power stations being developed (apart from a prolifery of wind turbines, onshore and offshore - which dont work in very hot or cold weather (anticyclonic conditions mean light winds)) and so the question is; where will the electricity for the new generation of cars come from ....

1 hour ago, Essan said:

where will the electricity for the new generation of cars come from ....

Hee... Hee... Hee...

lLxCoWM.jpg

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Well, the thing with electric cars is that they need electricity, which is usually created by a coal plant, which really isn't any better for the planet then burning gasoline. However, it will improve the breathing in the downtown, moving the pollution out around the coal plant. :lol:

EDIT: Looking at the Wiki for Power Generation in England, it seems that only about a third of the electricity comes from coal plants, and a third from natural gas, and another fifth from nuclear. So.... That would mean that OVERALL, an electric car (In southern England) has about half the carbon footprint of a regular petrol driven car.

Good edit. But remember that will keep going down as we move more and more away from coal. 

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

Good edit. But remember that will keep going down as we move more and more away from coal. 

The move away from coal, oil and gas is happening at a faster pace than thought realistically possible.

The UK had its Greenest Summer on record. Where 57% of electricity was generated by Nuclear, Solar & wind. compared to just four years ago the best we could manage was 35%. the same progress is repeated over the next 3 to 4 years 75% - 80% of our electricity could be from these clean sources by 2020.

I wonder once we are carbon free will we actually notice a difference out on the street? because non-of us have lived in a time without pollution via cars, buses, industry etc... imagine if the taste or smell of the air changed.

currently at 19.20 Sunday power generation is 8% from Wind. (that'll change tomorrow with the strong winds forecast) 21.3% Nuclear. 48.9% Gas. Coal 2.9%

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

• Like 2