Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are You For Or Against Euthanasia?

LightAngel

I'm from Denmark and here it isn't allowed!

It is allowed to help animals to ease their pain and help them move on, but not humans.

I'm for euthanasia in extreme cases where it is purely sadistic to let a human suffer unnecessarily!

What about you?

• Like 7

f the human is above 90 or been clinically dead for decades and there is no foul play involved i am ok with it. I don't say I support it i would just be ok. 

21 minutes ago, kartikg said:

I don't say I support it i would just be ok. 

What about people's right to choose for themselves?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

I think people should be able to decide for themselves when they want to die. The process needs to last at least 6 months though, to be sure that a depressed person, for instance, has tried everything to cure their depression. 

And I certainly don't think voluntary euthanasia should be reserved for terminally ill people or purely physical ailments. Mental problems can be a living hell.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I think people should be able to decide for themselves when they want to die. The process needs to last at least 6 months though, to be sure that a depressed person, for instance, has tried everything to cure their depression. 

Here I both agree and disagree with you because depression can be cured.

People should be able to decide for themselves when they want to die, but we have to be careful that people don't feel they are a burden and have to die because of it.

I want a society where there is room for everybody, even very sick people.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

I'm from Denmark and here it isn't allowed!

It is allowed to help animals to ease their pain and help them move on, but not humans.

I'm for euthanasia in extreme cases where it is purely sadistic to let a human suffer unnecessarily!

What about you?

I have a chronic illness which sucks but is nothing compared to what some suffer with. Im all for it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

I think that people who are not in their right mind can make bad decisions they'd later regret. If say, one of their parents dies, or a sibling, or a child, or a spouse... A person can get so depressed they want to just end it. That's not a good enough reason, in my book.

Those who are terminally ill, I think should be allowed to make that choice. To die while they are still not a bag of bones and loose skin. To not die covered in tubes and with a machine breathing for you. To not die slowly so that eventually you are unable to speak, or see, or hear, or feel a touch on your skin. People who will suffer in such a way, should be offered the choice before hand. 

Now... If the diagnosis is terminal, but there's research and a cure coming.... That someone might lose hope, and chose to die before all hope is actually gone, would be sad... tragic.. but would be that person's choice.

• Like 4

Remember, euthanasia actually means someone else putting an end to your life, you won't be doing it yourself. That aspect doesn't get mentioned much. 

Personally, I've got no ethical concerns about euthanasia, but grave concerns about how palliative care might be implemented if it was ever made an option. So I'd say yes, provided there was appropriate safeguards, and a rigours process to ensure they were applied.

51 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Mental problems can be a living hell.

True, for some people mental pain is much worse than physical pain.

• Like 2

Actually I had my last dog euthanized because it was going to cost way, way too much to keep the little guy alive, even for a couple days. Sometimes economics comes in.

• Like 3

I was against it until I started reading some of the posts here.

Now I can see the benefits :P:devil:

• Like 1

I have always been for it. People should be given the right to choose (if of sound mind) to die with dignity. It's far kinder than forcing them to continue their lives with suffering. If euthanasia can be safely regulated by government legislation, then I can't see why not. However, in Australia where euthanasia is illegal. Terminally ill patients do have the right to refuse treatment, or have their life support systems turned off. Even so, depending on the patient, their suffering still remains by being slow and drawn out, where by euthanasia is quick, peaceful and painless.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

I’m definitely for it, with the right measures in place beforehand. 

Yeah, the NT had legalised it for a while. I'm not sure tho, why they stopped using it as an option. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of euthanasia. The potential for abuse is just too great. Greedy heirs will pretend to be compassionate and caring in order to convince their wealthy relatives to "die with dignity". 

I personally knew a 70-year-old man who was poisoned by someone who mistakenly thought he would inherit about $4500. The murderer committed suicide a few months later.

4 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I'm not a fan of euthanasia. The potential for abuse is just too great. Greedy heirs will pretend to be compassionate and caring in order to convince their wealthy relatives to "die with dignity". 

I personally knew a 70-year-old man who was poisoned by someone who mistakenly thought he would inherit about $4500. The murderer committed suicide a few months later.

It would be something like multiple professionals signing off on it. Not a greedy relative. The greedy relative/acquaintance might initiate it, but that wouldn’t affect the outcome.

• Like 4

Switzerland has had a suicide clinic for years....pay the fee.....lay down, drugs injected, and end of life in minutes.   I think I saw on TV some people could have the needles/lines fitted to their arms, but it was the PERSON that initiates the injection of lethal substances...unless they are incapable

http://www.dignitas.ch/?lang=en

and

What it’s REALLY like to die: Swiss assisted suicide clinic Dignitas reveals harrowing VR death simulator

The Last Moments simultes assisted suicide at the Swiss clinic Dignitas
    Viewer is given the choice to end their life right there, or carry on living
    A trailer for the film reveals an eerie glimpse into the VR experience

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4346724/What-s-REALLY-like-die-VR.html#ixzz4vIVKxR7x

• Like 1

as someone whose own mother had lung disease, seeing her unable to walk far due to inability to take deep breaths, she often said she will go to Switzerland when "things are too bad".... heartbreaking to hear that and KNOW she was being 100% honest.

Sadly she died anyway, from the lung disease, just a few months back

• Like 3

If it's a matter of withholding extraordinary measures from someone who has no chance of recovery, then I can understand. But to actively participate in the death of another person? I can't agree with that.

We had a situation in our family involving my 16-year-old nephew with irreversible brain damage. The treatments were actually making his condition worse and much more painful. The decision was made to withhold treatment rather than causing more pain. In circumstances such as my nephew's, the use of life-ending drugs isn't involved. 

• Like 1

I support euthanasia.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LightAngel said:

Yeah, basically this ^

• Like 2

Euthanasia? Is that east of Burma?

• Like 1

I had a cat euthanized, the drug was called, "Sleepaway". Ethical suicide, it could be called, I suppose. Or if some one else pushes the button, ethical ----------? I think it's a good idea given the right safeguards. 

Quite a few caveats with this one. On one hand I agree, on the other I disagree. Good luck to whoever finds themselves having to make the decision, I can't even imagine.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked