Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are You For Or Against Euthanasia?

LightAngel

On 12/10/2017 at 10:45 PM, Astra. said:

Yeah, the NT had legalised it for a while. I'm not sure tho, why they stopped using it as an option. 

NT is still a tyertory and thus subject to the laws of the commonwealth which, in this case, overturned the state law

On 13/10/2017 at 7:37 AM, Wes4747 said:

Pro choice. But i would hate to have to ok it for my dad for instance...

My understanding would be that you  could not.  ONLY the person choosing death can make that decision. 

On 13/10/2017 at 9:15 PM, I'mConvinced said:

From a humanitarian perspective it seems obvious that we should allow euthanasia.  However, once you have allowed it you create a horrible pressure on those nearing end of life to 'stop burdening others'.  As an example I know that my mother would chose euthanasia if she ever thought she was a burden on my life.  The thing is that what she considers to be a burden on me I might not.  Why should she have to feel this pressure? How can you put a control in place that stops one person convincing another to follow through with the procedure even if, deep down, they don't want to? 

Just because a person says they want something doesn't mean they do.

In the end you have to trust and respect your mother's wishes, whatever her motivation.

On the other hand she must be capable of making an informed choice and there  must be heavy penalties for anyone seeking to gain from the death of another.

When my mother was elderly and very ill, having broken her hip and had it mended She had to stay in hospital for months because she could not walk or care for herself  although her mind was as bright as ever.

She was very worried about dying alone in hospital.  I just told her that, if she wanted, she could come and live with us, and we would care for her until she died.  The worry just fell away from her.  In the meantime i was with her every day in the local hospital, and just when she seemed to be recovering from a bout of   pneumonia, her body gave up on the struggle and she died peacefully. 

Edited by Mr Walker

9 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

In the end you have to trust and respect your mother's wishes, whatever her motivation.

Of course, it's just that the pressure doesn't exist currently and some people are vulnerable and will be taken advantage of.  All in all I'm for euthanasia but i'm under no illusion that some bad will come from it.

I highly recommend this film!

• Like 1

On 14 October 2017 at 5:46 PM, Pirou said:

If someone refuses to work in society because they feel as though their life is so hopeless that they have no purpose in it then why not? They wouldn't be doing anyone a favor being alive not aiding their community by working or whatever nor are they doing anyone a favor by ghosting the people they know because they see it as meaningless and something that lacks enjoyment.

As for euthanizing for people with chronic illness, it definitely should be supported. Naturally, they would have died quickly if it wasn't for modern medicine. If our medicine and technology isn't advanced enough to work, there's no reason to prolong their suffering. There is IF there's the possibility that a cure is on the horizon sometime soon but a lot of times that isn't the case.

As for the person talking about people manipulating people into being euthanized, it reminds me a lot of old Korean tradition of making a higher-classed person drink poison if they've disgraced their country/family/whatever/idk. That's a pretty interesting point but I'm not entirely sure it fits into the topic all that much, at least in modern society (in the USA). I could see abuse occurring due to cults though. so yea there's that

I dont agree with your first paragraph because feelings, attitudes and perspectives can change in a heartbeat.

If somebody feels hopeless, then give them hope. 

This is from wiki on the so called "liverpool death pathway." 

The Liverpool Care Pathway for the Dying Patient (LCP) was a UK care pathway (excluding Wales) covering palliative care options for patients in the final days or hours of life. It was developed to help doctors and nurses provide quality end-of-life care. Now discredited, the LCP was widely abused as a 'tick box exercise', with patients being casually assessed as terminal, heavily sedated, and denied water so the diagnosis became self-fulfilling. Hospitals were also provided cash incentives to achieve targets for the number of patients killed on the LCP.

On 21/11/2017 at 7:00 AM, Crazy Horse said:

If somebody feels hopeless, then give them hope. 

Yes, when it is possible :)

However, I have to say this again........... we can only inspire each other, we can't change anybody but ourselves!

Just like the topic of abortion, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here - more like where you morally stand.

There are so many different scenarios that could play out with regards to euthanasia: a terminally ill patient not wanting to suffer anymore, a husband who has been in a coma for the past 3 years due to an accident, a grandmother that is over 90 years old and has already been pronounced as brain dead, someone's pet dog that can't even walk anymore and is constantly in pain... The list goes on.

To me, killing is wrong, but at the same time, isn't life supposed to be something celebrated and well lived? If it were me that was the terminally ill patient who's in constant pain each day, I would probably want to be euthanized for 3 reasons: 1) I don't want my last memories before I die to be a daze, writhing in pain, coughing out blood, and having to pray to God each day to make it all stop. 2) I don't want my loved ones to see me this way, and to remember me as the frail, pale patient that couldn't even feed himself but to remember me for the cheerful and positive person I used to be. 3) In these last moments, I don't want death to know that he's won. If I'm going to die, I want to be able to die on my terms and not the cruel one he's laid out for me.

Don't even get me started on a pet. What would you do if your dog, the little rascal you call family who has spent each night sleeping by your side for the past 10 years; who would always run up to you with the happiest of expressions every time you came home; who you would bring for daily walks and shake your head each time he tries to catch a butterfly but miserably fails - then walks back to you with a stick in his mouth, as though he's trying to apologize for not succeeding; was now reduced to a state where his eyes won't open, isn't able to eat anything, lies in a puddle of his own urine because he can't even walk anymore, who cries out at 3 in the morning in pain; What would you do?

It's like watching your own child slowly die a little each day. It's heartbreaking. I would personally trade places with him if I could but the fact is I can't. To me, the least I could do is to not let him suffer anymore.

If you want an answer on whether I'm for or against euthanasia, it's neither. I hate the idea of death but I feel that at times, it's really the only solution we've got. Doesn't make it right or make you feel any better, but I think it's a necessary evil that should exist or there would be so much pain in the world.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ryanltzw said:

Just like the topic of abortion, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here - more like where you morally stand.

There are so many different scenarios that could play out with regards to euthanasia: a terminally ill patient not wanting to suffer anymore, a husband who has been in a coma for the past 3 years due to an accident, a grandmother that is over 90 years old and has already been pronounced as brain dead, someone's pet dog that can't even walk anymore and is constantly in pain... The list goes on.

To me, killing is wrong, but at the same time, isn't life supposed to be something celebrated and well lived? If it were me that was the terminally ill patient who's in constant pain each day, I would probably want to be euthanized for 3 reasons: 1) I don't want my last memories before I die to be a daze, writhing in pain, coughing out blood, and having to pray to God each day to make it all stop. 2) I don't want my loved ones to see me this way, and to remember me as the frail, pale patient that couldn't even feed himself but to remember me for the cheerful and positive person I used to be. 3) In these last moments, I don't want death to know that he's won. If I'm going to die, I want to be able to die on my terms and not the cruel one he's laid out for me.

Don't even get me started on a pet. What would you do if your dog, the little rascal you call family who has spent each night sleeping by your side for the past 10 years; who would always run up to you with the happiest of expressions every time you came home; who you would bring for daily walks and shake your head each time he tries to catch a butterfly but miserably fails - then walks back to you with a stick in his mouth, as though he's trying to apologize for not succeeding; was now reduced to a state where his eyes won't open, isn't able to eat anything, lies in a puddle of his own urine because he can't even walk anymore, who cries out at 3 in the morning in pain; What would you do?

It's like watching your own child slowly die a little each day. It's heartbreaking. I would personally trade places with him if I could but the fact is I can't. To me, the least I could do is to not let him suffer anymore.

If you want an answer on whether I'm for or against euthanasia, it's neither. I hate the idea of death but I feel that at times, it's really the only solution we've got. Doesn't make it right or make you feel any better, but I think it's a necessary evil that should exist or there would be so much pain in the world.

Profound thoughts!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Need to share this:

Dying together was their deepest wish.

An elderly couple have died in each other's arms after their wish to pass away together by euthanasia was given the go-ahead.

Nic and Trees Elderhorst, who were both 91 years old, gave each other a last kiss before they died....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/couple-double-euthanasia-91-year-old-last-kiss-die-together-names-location-and-hospital-name-a7892926.html

• Like 4

On 1/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, LightAngel said:

Need to share this:

An elderly couple have died in each other's arms after their wish to pass away together by euthanasia was given the go-ahead.

Nic and Trees Elderhorst, who were both 91 years old, gave each other a last kiss before they died....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/couple-double-euthanasia-91-year-old-last-kiss-die-together-names-location-and-hospital-name-a7892926.html

Everyone deserves to get what they want, in the end.

• Like 3

Absolutely for it. People that keep it illegal are some sick selfish individuals who want to drain the savings accounts of old or people in pain, only reason I can think of why they make it illegal. 

Oh yeah, another reason maybe if you believe you only live once or there is no life after this, some religious grounds, you are "killing" the person and he won't go to heaven or something. I suspect that would be more a cover for the draining savings account by hospital reason.

Instead of being in ones home painlessly surrounded by loved ones, going out on one's own terms. 

There is something called free will. There's a time for everything, including death

Edited by Area201
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Podo said:

Everyone deserves to get what they want, in the end.

Yes, and I know myself well enough to understand that unnecessary suffering is a waste of time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightAngel said:

Yes, and I know myself well enough to understand that unnecessary suffering is a waste of time!

Do you think suffering can be good for the soul growth?

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, LightAngel said:

Need to share this:

Well that is quite the love story.

• Like 1

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion) if a person is in the process of dying, is suffering, is of sound mind, makes the choice on his/her own accord, then I'd say it's ok to hasten the process of death.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lilly said:

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion) if a person is in the process of dying, is suffering, is of sound mind, makes the choice on his/her own accord, then I'd say it's ok to hasten the process of death.

I agree!  If I am in the process of dying, if I am suffering, if I am of sound mind, making the choice on my own accord, then you damn well better hasten the process of death....or there will be hell to pay!

• Like 2

On 1/6/2018 at 2:35 PM, Truthseeker007 said:

Well that is quite the love story.

If my husband and I are lucky enough to live a long life together, then we want to have the same opportunity when we get old (if we need it)

It should be a human right!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LightAngel said:

If my husband and I are lucky enough to live a long life together, then we want to have the same opportunity when we get old (if we need it)

It should be a human right!

I agree! Although maybe by that time we will have found the fountain of youth.:)

• Like 1

Is this really any different from those who commit suicide at the worst points in their lives?  Should patients who are coping with debilitating depression be given this sort of out?

I have often wondered why the logic that drives people to commit suicide at their worst points isn't around when they are at their absolute best.  If I got to choose when I died it would seem to make most sense to occur when I'm at the peak of my life, or at a peak at the very least.

Edit: I too wonder, what logic is it that says death is the "out" that we think it is as an answer to unbearable torment?  Why is it an answer?

Edited by PsiSeeker

17 hours ago, Truthseeker007 said:

I agree! Although maybe by that time we will have found the fountain of youth.:)

If you could live forever in this world, would you?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LightAngel said:

If you could live forever in this world, would you?

Great question! Probably not because I would probably get bored after awhile. I would want to experience some other planets when everything is done on this one. How about you?

On 1/9/2018 at 11:39 AM, Truthseeker007 said:

Great question! Probably not because I would probably get bored after awhile. I would want to experience some other planets when everything is done on this one. How about you?

I want to live forever (even if I lose my good looks) :D

It doesn't really matter what planet I'm living on because I will always make it interesting one way or another.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked