Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why did Vikings have 'Allah' on clothes?

Still Waters

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

My apologies, Black Monk. I assumed you were referring to coinage. :)

I should have said "it" rather than "they".

Secrecy ... one nice line of suppositions would be conversion ... back then there is an open clause for 'prisoners of war' ... accept the new religion, change allegiance and get that second chance, life is spared, mostly offered to non combatants or the regaled and revered noble warriors. The script in reverse would 'identify' new converts but would also make unauthorized copying rather conspicuous.

I believe the 'name' is considered sacrosanct and can't be 'written' or 'reproduced' anywhere considered 'unclean'

Much like how YHWH is never meant to be spoken aloud ...

When the 'cross' was being copied for questionable intentions, it went through various design changes in that futile attempt to avert deception.

~

• Like 1

I know the modern Mormons have their 'holy underwear and tshirts" they are always supposed to wear, with their religion's symbols embroidered on them.  Never figured the Vikings for such.

On 10/12/2017 at 8:01 AM, Black Monk said:

My guess is that it actually says "VALHALLA."

Logical takeaway.   Except that the symbols were supposedly in Arabic :(    The date of the burials would be within the time frame of the spread of Islam.  Since the early days were given to forcible introduction of the ideology and considering the readiness of the Vikings to make war, it's no surprise that Islam seems to be taking hold in the Scandihoovian countries in today's culture :w00t:

A sign of cross-cultural contamination, possibly from thrall craftsmen or weavers taken in raids and battle.              http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/thralls.shtml                          

• Like 2

Viking textile which suggested Nordic tribes were influenced by Islam did NOT feature the word 'Allah', claims expert

Textile found in 9th century graves did not include the word 'Allah', expert claims
    A professor has claimed the error stems from a 'serious problem of dating'
    Researchers from Uppsala University in Sweden made the initial claims
    They were working to recreate patterns found in Viking woven bands

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4989382/Viking-textile-no-Arabic-slams-expert.html#ixzz4vmygaJkv

• Like 4

Just another case of pareidolia, but lets say it does say 'Allah' if Muslims are to be believed it's just Arabic for God i'd imagine there were more Christian Arabs then there are now, theres no reason to think it has anything to do with Islam.

Edited by hetrodoxly

Well well well..... 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/allah-viking-burial-fabrics-false-kufic-inscription-clothes-name-woven-myth-islam-uppsala-sweden-a8003881.html

It appears that Annika Larssonit saw what she wanted to see ? After all, Swedes are being encouraged (on threat of prison) to accept the idea of Islam of being the future of Sweden. . :D:P 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I already posted that news

15 minutes ago, seeder said:

I already posted that news

You DID ? Oh blast... sorry Seeder....

Study – Pseudo-Kufic, an Islamic influence on Christian art

Pseudo-Kufic is the term given to the imitations of the Arabic Kufic script, sometimes cursive Arabic script.  It is an example of the influence of Islam on Christian art.

Early Examples of the Pseudo-Kufic –

The earliest examples of Pseudo-Kufic occurs  back in the 8th Century where King Offa manufactured gold coins to resemble the Arab dinars. The coins from where King Offa imitates is from the Abbasid dinars minted by Caliph Al-Mansur in 774AD, whereas in the King Offa’s version, the latin words “Offa Rex” (meaning King Offa) were stamped in the middle of the coin. The imitation’s Kufic script is devoid of any meaning at all, and shows the maker have no knowledge of the Arabic Language.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:12 PM, hetrodoxly said:

Study – Pseudo-Kufic, an Islamic influence on Christian art

Pseudo-Kufic is the term given to the imitations of the Arabic Kufic script, sometimes cursive Arabic script.  It is an example of the influence of Islam on Christian art.

Early Examples of the Pseudo-Kufic –

The earliest examples of Pseudo-Kufic occurs  back in the 8th Century where King Offa manufactured gold coins to resemble the Arab dinars. The coins from where King Offa imitates is from the Abbasid dinars minted by Caliph Al-Mansur in 774AD, whereas in the King Offa’s version, the latin words “Offa Rex” (meaning King Offa) were stamped in the middle of the coin. The imitation’s Kufic script is devoid of any meaning at all, and shows the maker have no knowledge of the Arabic Language.

Listen Steve, you cut-and-pasted this off the site https://starsinsymmetry.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/study-pseudo-kufic-an-islamic-influence-on-christian-art/ which is a blog written by an art amateur named Azim. Immediately after the piece you copied the blogger admits he is mistaken when he claims that the Offa coin is devoid of all meaning. Earlier in this thread I pointed out that the Arabic on the coin does have meaning. Azim posted the following correction to the text you quoted:

' *update – I made a mistake here : I only observed the border of the coin which seemed to be jumble of Arabic words, since the coin is made to show the Offa Rex stamp in the correct way, I have disregarded the words Muhammad is the Prophet of God (ﻤﺤﻤﺩ ﺭﺴﻭﻞ ﷲ) right in the middle, when the image is turned upside down! Thanks to jooan for pointing this out! ' 

The Offa Arabic coin has the following inscribed on it: ‘There is no Deity but Allah, The One, Without Equal, and Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah,’

• Like 1

Maybe for the same reason people today walk around with Chinese letters tattooed on them without knowing what they actually mean, they just thought they "looked cool". Maybe the Vikings just though the pattern was cool and copied it without taking into account its meaning.

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:43 PM, Ozymandias said:

Listen Steve, you cut-and-pasted this off the site https://starsinsymmetry.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/study-pseudo-kufic-an-islamic-influence-on-christian-art/ which is a blog written by an art amateur named Azim. Immediately after the piece you copied the blogger admits he is mistaken when he claims that the Offa coin is devoid of all meaning. Earlier in this thread I pointed out that the Arabic on the coin does have meaning. Azim posted the following correction to the text you quoted:

' *update – I made a mistake here : I only observed the border of the coin which seemed to be jumble of Arabic words, since the coin is made to show the Offa Rex stamp in the correct way, I have disregarded the words Muhammad is the Prophet of God (ﻤﺤﻤﺩ ﺭﺴﻭﻞ ﷲ) right in the middle, when the image is turned upside down! Thanks to jooan for pointing this out! ' 

The Offa Arabic coin has the following inscribed on it: ‘There is no Deity but Allah, The One, Without Equal, and Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah,’

Why the aggressive attitude? of course I copied and pasted it that's why there's a link in my post, why are you calling me Steve? the coins in my post were incidental I was just showing the general use of Arabic script in Christian art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-Kufic

http://www.intriguing-history.com/king-offas-gold-coin/

Edited by hetrodoxly

15 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Viking textile which suggested Nordic tribes were influenced by Islam did NOT feature the word 'Allah', claims expert

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4989382/Viking-textile-no-Arabic-slams-expert.html#ixzz4wEZ2s0ne

posted in post 31  :tu: