Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why did Vikings have 'Allah' on clothes?

Still Waters

Researchers in Sweden have found Arabic characters woven into burial costumes from Viking boat graves. The discovery raises new questions about the influence of Islam in Scandinavia, writes journalist Tharik Hussain.

They were kept in storage for more than 100 years, dismissed as typical examples of Viking Age funeral clothes.

But a new investigation into the garments - found in 9th and 10th Century graves - has thrown up groundbreaking insights into contact between the Viking and Muslim worlds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41567391

• Like 6

A related issue of interest is the use of coins in Britain from the eight century that have Arabic script on them and have been over-struck by Anglo-Saxon motifs and names. See this link:

http://www.caitlingreen.org/2014/12/distribution-of-islamic-dirhams-in-england.html 

• Like 5

I believe the two may be connected Ozymandias ? The locations in the UK where these coins where found correspond to the Danelaw. So they where probably brought over by the Vikings ?

Intriguing stuff... thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I believe the two may be connected Ozymandias ? The locations in the UK where these coins where found correspond to the Danelaw. So they where probably brought over by the Vikings ?

Anglo-Saxon England traded with the Middle East, so that probably accounts for the coins.

• Like 2

Intriguing. I had no idea that we had ships capable of those sorts of journeys ?

Actually, by the 10th Century, the Islamic armies had conquered most of Spain (and where raiding for slaves in Cornwall) , so they weren't THAT far away ?

Edited by RoofGardener

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Intriguing. I had no idea that we had ships capable of those sorts of journeys ?

Actually, by the 10th Century, the Islamic armies had conquered most of Spain (and where raiding for slaves in Cornwall) , so they weren't THAT far away ?

There was some bitumen found on the Sutton Hoo ship that was discovered in Suffolk in 1939. It was originally thought to have come from Cornwall but, last year, scientists said it had come from the Middle East, probably modern Syria. So it seems as though that Anglo-Saxon ship had gone all the way to what is now Syria.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

My guess is that it actually says "VALHALLA."

I saw what you did there you trickster you Loki you ...

Come to think of it Valhalla in Arabic would look real nice on a TShirt ...  thrash Metal fonts, strong bold and sharp over a plain background ...

have the makings of a classic ... they'll still be selling it years from now ...

~

• Like 2

Well, I've read a few other articles on this, and I now think that this is a bit like cloud shapes. The researcher has found what she WANTED to find.

Immediately above the "Allah" section is a Swastika. And below it is a geometrical design that COULD be crucifixes. Or Volkswagens. Or Balloons. Or giant birds.

If these symbols ARE Arabic, then they presumably wouldn't be Islamic, as it would be blasphemy to write Allah's name next to symbols of paganism and christianity.

• Like 5

My first thought was of the Eaters of the Dead novel which was turned into a movie called The Thirteenth warrior . Good book, not such a good movie if i recall correctly. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaters_of_the_Dead

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

My first thought was of the Eaters of the Dead novel which was turned into a movie called The Thirteenth warrior . Good book, not such a good movie if i recall correctly. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaters_of_the_Dead

That's REALLY interesting, especially if you follow the link regarding the Volga Vikings .

I never knew that the vikings had moved so far inland.... all the way to Russia !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

There is no direct evidence for this. The most likely explanation is indirect trade.

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Well, I've read a few other articles on this, and I now think that this is a bit like cloud shapes. The researcher has found what she WANTED to find.

Immediately above the "Allah" section is a Swastika. And below it is a geometrical design that COULD be crucifixes. Or Volkswagens. Or Balloons. Or giant birds.

If these symbols ARE Arabic, then they presumably wouldn't be Islamic, as it would be blasphemy to write Allah's name next to symbols of paganism and christianity.

Nevertheless, these Arabic inscriptions have been read and do mention Allah.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

That's REALLY interesting, especially if you follow the link regarding the Volga Vikings .

I never knew that the vikings had moved so far inland.... all the way to Russia !

Never mind just Russia, they made it across Russia to Constantinople, then the largest and wealthiest city in Christian Europe. Viking longboats could sail along Russia's massive rivers.

Consider, for example, the life of Harald Hardrada - son and step-brother of kings in Norway, forced into exile in Kiev, he then travelled to Constantinople and joined the Varangian Guard, got involved in all sorts of adventures including fighting for the Empire against Arabs in Sicily and the violent overthrow of an Emperor, before fleeing Constantinople for Kiev with a heap of gold, then seizing the throne of Norway, and finally dying in England at the Battle of Stamford Bridge at the hands of Harold Godwinson's English army.

So given the Vikings made trading contacts with Arabs both in Spain and in the Eastern Mediterranean, it doesn't surprise me that goods with an Arab/Islamic origin or inspiration might be found in Scandinavia.

• Like 5

Wouldn't we then expect Viking paraphernalia to be found in the Middle East ?

• Like 1

Valhalla Rising was a potent film set in 10th cent Viking lands.

The main character never speaks and yet, speaks volumes. 

Intriguing portrayal of 10th cent viking life and the cinematrography is breathtaking.

22 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Nevertheless, these Arabic inscriptions have been read and do mention Allah.

They only say "Allah" in their reflections in the mirror.

Likewise, some people think they can hear the words "It's fun to smoke marijuana" when Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" is played backwards.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Wouldn't we then expect Viking paraphernalia to be found in the Middle East ?

Well, we might expect to find whatever it was the Vikings sold to the locals in return for the Arab gold. My understanding is that this would include things like Baltic amber, furs and slaves. I'll leave it up to you to determine how much we're likely to find of such paraphernalia a thousand years down the track... :-)

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

They only say "Allah" in their reflections in the mirror.

Likewise, some people think they can hear the words "It's fun to smoke marijuana" when Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" is played backwards.

I'm afraid I have no idea what you are talking about here.

Arabic script is read from right to left, unlike ours which is left to right.

The Arabic inscriptions on all the Anglo-Saxon coins I know are perfectly legible wherever they are not worn.

Are you thinking of the die used to strike the coin? A couple of these have been found. They contain a reverse image of the inscription to be imprinted on a coin and are placed upon a blank piece of metal and struck with a hammer. Obviously the script on the die has to be a mirror image.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 2:01 PM, Black Monk said:

My guess is that it actually says "VALHALLA."

We don't need to guess at all. We know what it says. That's a bit like saying 2+2 equals four but my guess is that it actually equals 23!

Edited by Ozymandias

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

We don't need to guess at all. We know what it says. That's a bit like saying 2+2 equals four but my guess is that it actually equals 23!

The article states that the word "Allah" is written in mirror image and can only be seen the right way in a mirror. I think Mrs Larsson is clutching at straws to try and make us believe it says "Allah." Why would a Viking clothesmaker write "Allah" in mirror image?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

The article states that the word "Allah" is written in mirror image and can only be seen the right way in a mirror. I think Mrs Larsson is clutching at straws to try and make us believe it says "Allah." Why would a Viking clothesmaker write "Allah" in mirror image?

My apologies, Black Monk. I assumed you were referring to coinage. :)

• Like 1