Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

Four figures hidden in 17th-century painting

9 posts in this topic

In a 17th-century painting that hangs in the Yale Divinity School, a group of Reformation thinkers clusters around a table, with Martin Luther occupying pride of place at the center of the scene. But beneath its peeling layers of gray paint, a conservator recently found four Catholic figures hidden among the tribute to revered Protestant leaders, Vittoria Traverso reports for Atlas Obscura. The discovery sheds new light on the painting’s message, revealing a pointed critique of Catholic doctrine.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/four-catholic-figures-found-hidden-17th-century-painting-reformation-leaders-180965174/

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I love the funny little devil/dragon creature! The man in red doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned that he's pressed up against him ..... like he was just his pet dog :lol:

Edited by ouija ouija

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

I love the funny little devil/dragon creature! The man in red doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned that he's pressed up against him ..... like he was just his pet dog :lol:

I wonder if that devil/dragon thing is actually the bull they mentioned?... I do wish they had posted the entire restored pic...

1 person likes this

Yes, 'before' and 'after' pics would seem obvious, really. :hmm:

1 person likes this

They found photographic evidence of hellboy....(JOKING PEOPLE)

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Taun said:

I wonder if that devil/dragon thing is actually the bull they mentioned?... I do wish they had posted the entire restored pic...

It seems to be the bull.

18 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Yes, 'before' and 'after' pics would seem obvious, really. :hmm:

There's a slideshow in this link -

https://news.yale.edu/2017/10/05/restoration-reveals-hidden-figures-div-school-reformation-painting

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Thanks for that :tu:. I thought it was a dragon because the left leg of the bull looked like a wing to me. It's hard to tell, but the creature doesn't appear to have cloven hooves, either.  

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Thanks SW!...

I had to laugh at the fourth pic where they circled the restored figures... like we wouldn't have noticed them otherwise...

2 people like this

18 minutes ago, Taun said:

Thanks SW!...

I had to laugh at the fourth pic where they circled the restored figures... like we wouldn't have noticed them otherwise...

I was hoping they were circled to then show a close-up of that area. No such luck.