Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost caught in tunnel NZ

Dewalt

Welcome to UM, can you please give some info? Or are you just looking for YouTube hits?

Not many here (including me) will watch a likely crappy YouTube video without context first.

• Like 1

The video was taken in 2009 on a friends cellphone with a torch as the main source of lighting. It was taken in a place called Whangaparoa in New Zealand at a Navy training base. We were on duty and decided to go for a mid night wander after being told of some strange **** going on in the tunnels by the grounds keepers.I know for a fact this is 100% real because I was there! We didn't see it at the time, but saw her while looking through what we may have captured. no I'm not looking for hits on youtube. If you go to the 1min mark on the video you will see her, the torch flows over her a few times then we walk into another room. there not much more I can say about the video but that nothing was staged and its unfortunate that so many REAL things get caught on camera these days but everything is considered fake. This is what made a believer out of me and physically catching something on video has proven to me and others that there is a fair bit of **** we don't know about on this planet. 

• Like 2

Hey Spoedboetie, :st

I'm watching the video over an over again, mostly so on the area of the one minute mark, like you're advising. I'm not seeing anything. Even at the part, where your video says something in light blue letters. Unfortunately, I also find the video very grainy. I'm having a hard time making out anything. I could easily matrix anything in that video. It's just hard to tell. If anything, I don't see anything, except a lot of light reflections and light bumping off walls and objects. 

Sorry. 

I do apologise for the quality of the video. if you go to 1.17 then slowly play it or keep pausing to the right of the light beam you will see a figure

Thanks for the info. I really don’t see anything besides lights and shadows of the corridors. 

Maybe screenshot, time stamp and outline what you’re seeing in paint or something. 

I cant see how this would make you a believer if you saw nothing at the time!?

Edit: I think I can see what you’re talking about at about 1:17, it does kind of resemble a face or something, but if you pause and play you can see it’s just the way the light is behaving in the corridor further back paired with the average camera quality exposure.

Edited by Timonthy
Edit.

9 minutes ago, spoedboetie said:

Its a big long corridor behind her. there was nothing the torch could have reflected off apart from her. 

Was the ghost sighting more impressive in person and the video does not do it justice perhaps??

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Was the ghost sighting more impressive in person and the video does not do it justice perhaps??

They ‘didn’t see it at the time’, as per post #4.

spoedboetie, it’s not reflection, it’s just the way the light down the corridor is picked up on the camera, does look quite obvious to me.

Again, I don’t see why this would ‘make a believer’ out of you, when you saw nothing at the time although you were expecting ‘strange ****’?

6 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

They ‘didn’t see it at the time’, as per post #4.

spoedboetie, it’s not reflection, it’s just the way the light down the corridor is picked up on the camera, does look quite obvious to me.

Again, I don’t see why this would ‘make a believer’ out of you, when you saw nothing at the time although you were expecting ‘strange ****’?

Put it this way. You're dazzling around with something you don't really know about or your very skeptical about something. lets take aliens for example. You get a camera, you start videoing the sky, you catch something you believe may be a UFO/ Alien. you really think you caught something. You investigate into it more and more then you believe it so much you start showing other that you may have evidence of an alien/ufo. (now in this instance this is whats happened to me, ie what I thought or still think is a ghost. 

If you’re really skeptical then a blurry video like this, or the multitude of UFO videos for example, shouldn’t make you a believer. 

Looking again, it looks like stairs. Were there stairs there?

3 minutes ago, spoedboetie said:

nope no stairs. I'm struggling more with the fact that you cant see it

I just googled it and it’s an old military battery, there are definitely stone stairs there as evidenced in google images. 8 years ago, memore is very fallible. 

Well that’s my vote. Stone stairs in torchlight and low quality video. 

Do you live anywhere near there still? I’m flying into Auckland in November to visit family, maybe if I have time... Is it publicly accessible?

I see what you see, I just don’t see a ghost. 

Na honestly don't remember stairs there, i know you go about 100m down that corridor turn right, then there is stairs. who knows you could be right. But hey I respect your opinion, that's not what I see I'm obviously not here to change peoples minds about anything and make believers out of anyone because why would skeptiks be on this site anyway, and no I left the Navy about 5 years ago. And no its still a private military base, there is sometimes public access but rarely. Infact paranormal investigators tried to get access up there but were declined. But by all means give it a try. 

what did you google to find the exact tunnel I'm Talking about? Oh and we did numerous training exercises through these tunnels, you could say my memory may be fallible after 8 years but I know these tunnels pretty dam well. If i went in there now I'd still probably be able to find my way around, even if you had to blind fold me.

36 minutes ago, spoedboetie said:

what did you google to find the exact tunnel I'm Talking about? Oh and we did numerous training exercises through these tunnels, you could say my memory may be fallible after 8 years but I know these tunnels pretty dam well. If i went in there now I'd still probably be able to find my way around, even if you had to blind fold me.

Oh sorry, I just meant I found pictures of stone steps leading down into the tunnels at the barracks which look like what I saw in your video, no idea if they’re anywhere close to where you were though. 

Well I’ll stop being annoying, but cheers for the replies and enjoy your time on the forums. It’s a really good community here, although it can get heated at times (all in (mostly) good nature of course). :tu:

If you like I can highlight what I thought were stairs when I get home? Otherwise I’ll leave it at that. 

• Like 1

Jesus, there were 4 of us on Duty that night 2 of us went. We often patrolled the perimeter of the tunnels to make sure no teenagers have snuck in. (the tunnels are on base) Higher ranking ratings knew what our plan was that night and were completely fine with it. Its not like we left base and went awol. there's a difference.  hope that helps you deal with your struggle of understanding the fact how we were on duty and we went for a wander.

On 13/10/2017 at 7:30 PM, spoedboetie said:

Jesus, there were 4 of us on Duty that night 2 of us went. We often patrolled the perimeter of the tunnels to make sure no teenagers have snuck in. (the tunnels are on base) Higher ranking ratings knew what our plan was that night and were completely fine with it. Its not like we left base and went awol. there's a difference.  hope that helps you deal with your struggle of understanding the fact how we were on duty and we went for a wander.

It's Carl, not Jesus. 

I'm struggling with the fact that youre, presumably, an active service man, or woman, on a live base and you and your colleague went for a wander and recorded yourselves and posted online. 

Regardless of what is shown, location or not, it's a live military base. No official secrets act where your from?

Perhaps you could post more intimate operation details for all to see, maybe bring some important files home? 

A UK kings guard is in hot water for wearing earphones while on duty, I hope you loose your pension for this. 

3 minutes ago, Redefining Success said:

It's Carl, not Jesus. 

I'm struggling with the fact that youre, presumably, an active service man, or woman, on a live base and you and your colleague went for a wander and recorded yourselves and posted online. 

Regardless of what is shown, location or not, it's a live military base. No official secrets act where your from?

Perhaps you could post more intimate operation details for all to see, maybe bring some important files home? 

A UK kings guard is in hot water for wearing earphones while on duty, I hope you loose your pension for this. 

Soldiers do get leave. In New Zealand at least. Our Army/Navy are mostly peace keepers. So if they choose to wander in their spare time they can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

Soldiers do get leave. In New Zealand at least. Our Army/Navy are mostly peace keepers. So if they choose to wander in their spare time they can. 

Not disputing that, but, as stated, they were on duty, and posting footage from a live military base. 

Even a soldier on leave should not divulge information on base layout or operation regardless of how minor it may seem.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 10:54 AM, Redefining Success said:

It's Carl, not Jesus. 

Alright then Carl

Nope I WAS an active service-man. I left a few years ago. I was on duty with 3 others. Two stayed at the office (who were in fact my superiors one was a chief). as stated the tunnels are on the base and we often did patrols up around the tunnels and we were allowed to enter the tunnels if our hearts desired so. At no point did I abandon my post if you would like to consider it as that. As for the filming on the base well lets just say these are active TRAINING tunnels and not active SERVICE tunnels, which means they have been put out of SERVICE. At any point in that video do you see an ACTIVE base anywhere or footage of anything that would give away any military secrets? I don't think so. Oh but if you must know a TV channel filmed an entire boot camp up there that widely showed the entire base. I wish I could find the link but it was 10 years ago and screw it I can't be bothered showing you just to prove a point. Infact Carl do a little bit of googling and you'll find hundreds of videos showing you inside of UK military bases/ ships/ equipment. Now mee showing you a bit of footage from UN-ACTIVE tunnel in our base is not really a huge problem now is it. I think you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed and obviously felt like you needed to shove your nose in and give your opinion. Which is fine. Oh there's also thousands of war footage being posted from places like Afghan-Iraq... Boats being blown up in the GULF... Alot from the UK military as well. Wheres the secrecy in that?? No need to over complicate things here Carl, you're a bit more serious than the average soldier over there anyway. Loosen up a bit, sneak into a base with some tunnels yourself.. maybe somebody like me who was WANDERING around will catch you... or maybe not,  because we're supposed to obviously stay in one place like the office and not do patrols, because that will be considered abandoning our post now wouldn't it Carl. Oh and s for my pension, yeah I'll still get it... How disrespectful of you to assume that because of one small little video I should lose my pension. Ive done alot for my country and alot for our crown. Oh by the way its the QUEENS Guard, Not the Kings. Aren't you from where our majesty the Queen lives? What have you done for the CROWN Carl?