Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
LucidElement

Marriage

31 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Oh man I was raised fundamentalist Christian and Catholics were basically considered satanists, only worse because they hid it behind the facade of Christianity

Well you just admitted it. They considered them 'Christian' in a sense. I was raised in a fundamentalist household as well, and was taught that Catholics were going to Hell because they weren't true Christians, but that's different than not being a Christian religion at all. Christians accuse other Christians (as well as other denominations of Christians) of not being 'true' Christians all the time, but even then they still acknowledge that they at least are Christian in name only. This whole concept of 'Catholics aren't Christians at all' is just strange to me. I've literally never heard this until this thread just now.

5 hours ago, LucidElement said:

The big difference between Christians and Catholics are that Catholics pray and follow the teachings of Jesus through the Catholic Church where as Christians are free to accept and reject individual teachings. I came across this article which was interesting.

Catholics are almost never Christian. In order for a professing Catholic to be Christian according to biblical standards, one must stray far away from the papacy and the Catholic Church in general. The reason why is because of the idea of works based righteousness. Catholics do not believe that someone is saved by grace through faith alone. 

This is the issue with Catholics, mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, all of which profess to be legitimately Christian. However, in regard to Catholicism, according to the Church of Rome, Christ did not accomplish a full, finished and completed salvation in his work of atonement. His death on the cross did not deal with the full penalty of man's sin. It merited grace for man which is then channeled to the individual through the Roman Catholic Church and its sacraments. This grace then enables man to do works of righteousness in order to merit justification and eternal life. 

Also, this is a good link talking about the difference and similarities of Catholics and Christianity

https://www.enkivillage.org/the-difference-between-catholic-and-christian.html

Are you sure you aren't simply describing the difference between Catholics and Protestants? Because there are plenty of instances in which Catholics have called themselves Christians. In fact they've called themselves Christians since their very inception, and there are so many numerous examples of 'Catholics' and 'Christians' being synonymous terms, that I honestly feel it redundant to even source the material. No offense but this is just flat nonsense. Christianity is the religion, Catholicism the denomination. To say that 'Catholics aren't Christians' is to wipe away 0ver 2,000 years of history of the Catholic church itself calling itself Christian, as well as hundreds of years of history of all Protestant sects referring to Catholics as Christian, just not the true way in their sight. To completely divorce the two terms is just plain ridiculous.

5 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I have actually come across bits that have (rare) Christians claiming Catholics are not Christians. As secular raised, that has me confused. I think this has begun to be a recent thing. I have seen some sites,  and other sites,  say this, some Catholics receive this confusingly, and seen a particular say this about Catholics.  I do find it interesting, that it's something coming into light now. I wonder at for how long, this wasn't a thought for all these past years. I don't know. But, I have heard of it. *shrugs* 

Thanks for the info Stubbly. This must be some new phenomenon because I've never heard of this until now, and regardless, it's still ridiculous all the same.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

My father was raised Catholic (he's from France) while my mother was raised Baptist (from Southern CA) - both are baby-boomers and former Republicans turned Democrats - they're more liberal than they realized, but my father is anti-abortion while he's tolerant with same sex marriage (so is my mother, but she's for women's reproductive rights and all LGBT rights). He's 70 years old now and had 4 divorces in the last 50 years - his current wive is a Sunni Muslim from Tanzania in Africa, who's a little older than his 46-year old daughter (my half-sister) who converted to Reform Judaism. I even have a Mormon (Latter-day Saints) grand-aunt and a Cherokee grandfather (on mother's side) who believed in the monotheistic "Great Spirit" with a Native American spirituality foundation...both people are deceased. My father and mother were brought up against filing for divorce, but these things do happen and religious married couples can divorce if they want to, esp. to end a bad relationship or failed their obligations. And I understand nobody is perfect, a religious fundamentalist might break their faith's rules and commandments now and then. We attend church or follow a religion to believe a deity cares about us and expect us to live in the present the right way...but when a violation of doctrine occurs, we ask for forgiveness and Christians believe Jesus died for all of our sins.   

Edited by Solipsi Rai
2 people like this

27 minutes ago, Solipsi Rai said:

My father was raised Catholic (he's from France) while my mother was raised Baptist (from Southern CA) - both are baby-boomers and former Republicans turned Democrats - they're more liberal than they realized, but my father is anti-abortion while he's tolerant with same sex marriage (so is my mother, but she's for women's reproductive rights and all LGBT rights). He's 70 years old now and had 4 divorces in the last 50 years - his current wive is a Sunni Muslim from Tanzania in Africa, who's a little older than his 46-year old daughter (my half-sister) who converted to Reform Judaism. I even have a Mormon (Latter-day Saints) grand-aunt and a Cherokee grandfather (on mother's side) who believed in the monotheistic "Great Spirit" with a Native American spirituality foundation...both people are deceased. My father and mother were brought up against filing for divorce, but these things do happen and religious married couples can divorce if they want to, esp. to end a bad relationship or failed their obligations. And I understand nobody is perfect, a religious fundamentalist might break their faith's rules and commandments now and then. We attend church or follow a religion to believe a deity cares about us and expect us to live in the present the right way...but when a violation of doctrine occurs, we ask for forgiveness and Christians believe Jesus died for all of our sins.   

Amen to that. :)

Posted (edited)

Sub topic .   : WHERE DID YOU GET MARRIED?

Edited by LucidElement

I got married in a church. By a pastor. All our extended family and friends being present. My wife put the Certificate into a frame above the bed.

23 hours ago, LucidElement said:

Sub topic .   : WHERE DID YOU GET MARRIED?

See post#25 :lol:

jmccr8

1 person likes this