Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supervolcano could erupt sooner than thought

UM-Bot

I live 150 miles from Yellowstone... :wacko:

• Like 1

Yea it has a limited shelf life, but the same thing was quoted more than 45 years ago, around the time the guys were going to the moon, which eclipsed the Yellowstone story.

• Like 1

Since it has long been expected to erupt sometime in the next few thousand years - and , if anything, an eruption is overdue - it cant erupt earlier than thought ;) 

They mean, it could erupt with less warning than previously thought.

the question is: if there were signs of an eruption within the next 20 years, what would the POTUS do?

I'm more worried about a M8+ earthquake along the San Andreas fault in CA than the Yellowstone caldera "supereruption" prediction. Not sure how much area it will devastate, might be as far away as Salt Lake City, UT or the Canadian border in Montana. Volcanic ashfall clouds can cover most of the mainland US, parts of Canada and even travel across the Atlantic to western Europe. 

There is literally nothing we can do about it. It spans 3 U.S. States if I am not correct. Drilling holes may actually make the problem infinitely worse. Now we get Doomsday scenarios from the academics as well as psychologically damaged individuals. Enjoy your lives, dont hurt anyone or anything and dont worry about the doomsayers. Newsflash you were born to die.

I have been aware of this and my thought is what would happen if there was a shifting in the San Andreas?  Would that increase the threat or reduce it?  If western US was bombed by NK, could that increase the likelihood of an eruption due to the tremors caused by explosions?  We have seen how some studies link fracking to small earthquakes

Edited by glorybebe
Typing on my mobile with spell check and I still make typos!

12 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I have been aware of this and my thought is whay woild happen if there was a shifting in the San Andreas?  Would that increase the threat or reduce it?  If western US was bombed by NK, could that increase the likelihood of an eruption due to the tremors caused by ecplosions?  We have seen how some srudies link fracking to small earthquakes

Yeah, and if several high-yield nukes actually targeted Yellowstone, set to "ground blast"...        :blink:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

Yeah, and if several high-yield nukes actually targeted Yellowstone, set to "ground blast"...        :blink:

I know scary thoughts.   

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

IF the idiot that runs North Korea were to launch a missile I seriously doubt that it would get a hundred miles out of their air space before we shot it down... AND then blew huge parts of North Korea into dust.

When you say sooner, that could mean thousands of years from now.

Nothing to worry about, move along.