Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tha Angry Sea will kill us all

Kismit

While perusing my local News Sources, I came across this news piece about a small Atoll nation that had recently reported a tidal wave (tsunami), which caused devastation and destruction (photos included).

The twist being it actually was not a tsunami, just a large wave during an exceptionally high king tide.

Well reported, and interesting reading.

Link

• Like 3

Everything seems to want to kill us these days. I'm at 2,200 feet. Bring it on! :gun:

By the way, that was an interesting read. The canary in the coal mine is dying and we'll soon be entering the age of environmental refugees.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Everything seems to want to kill us these days. I'm at 2,200 feet. Bring it on! :gun:

Keep it away! :huh:

Downtown Houston stands about 50 feet (15 m) above sea level, and the highest point in far northwest Houston is about 125 feet (38 m) in elevation

• Like 2

Interesting indeed, especially the conclusion.

When climate change gets to coast of Europe or USA or elsewhere, Kiribati will not exist anymore by that time.

They even consider to borrow money to do what needs to be done, and, as said by their president, to use their sovereign wealth funds to get loans.

Meanwhile, millions of activists of all sorts preach about care and morality but actually, they do not care nor do they have even the slight amount of morality. Environment this, environment that.

When we register cars we all pay for damage to environment but some of that money should be reserved for places like Kiribati because they are on the first line and many lives are endangered by our luxuries, even if we admit it or not that is truth. Reading this article and watching videos also costed their environment.

From the article :

Kiribati's president, Taneti Mamau, also spoke. He said his tiny country could no longer wait for aid.

"Our people continue to suffer on a daily basis from the impact of the slow onset climate disaster," he said.

"This may not capture the attention of the global community due to its slow impact and limited media attention, but it is causing pain and suffering in our communities."

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot
  • Like 3

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Interesting indeed, especially the conclusion.

When climate change gets to coast of Europe or USA or elsewhere, Kiribati will not exist anymore by that time.

They even consider to borrow money to do what needs to be done, and, as said by their president, to use their sovereign wealth funds to get loans.

Meanwhile, millions of activists of all sorts preach about care and morality but actually, they do not care nor do they have even the slight amount of morality. Environment this, environment that.

When we register cars we all pay for damage to environment but some of that money should be reserved for places like Kiribati because they are on the first line and many lives are endangered by our luxuries, even if we admit it or not that is truth. Reading this article and watching videos also costed their environment.

From the article :

I wish stories like this got as much attention as the political ones do. 

The canary in the mine as LG said.

People displaced by rising sea levels and hardly anyone took the chance to read it.

• Like 4

While it is unfortunate certain inhabited islands may end up under water relatively soon a bit of perspective might be useful before the usual cries of its all humanities fault and we are destroying the environment.

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/earth107/node/901

The important part being the graph.

There are two important things to notice about the graph, first that the general trend for the past 5 million years has been for sea levels to decrease and secondly that starting approximately 2.5 million years ago that the change in sea level has started to become increasingly erratic with increasing differences in high and low sea levels in relatively short period of time while still following the general trend.

Figure11.jpg