Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Glasgow scientists launch teacake into space

Still Waters

Thousands of people have watched a teacake voyage into space in a fun experiment.

The launch was carried out by a team at Glasgow Science Centre (GSC), aimed at sparking people's "imagination" in science and technology.

A camera attached to a hydrogen weather balloon broadcast Facebook Live images that were watched 33,000 times.

The Scottish confectionery went 21 miles up before descending. It landed in a tree in Galloway Forest Park.

It took one hour 29 minutes to hit a peak altitude of 37,007 metres. It then took 40 minutes to come back to Earth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41612812

• Like 2

the Glaswegian space programme is proceeding apace! For Phase II they're hoping to get a Deep Fried Mars Bar into orbit.

• Like 3

yes waste cake on launching it into orbit. how is that even gonna make people get into especialy mathematics is a complete mystery to me. at least we can test if any aliens that happen upon it have any allergies on terrestrial sweets

Edited by aniknonymous

Maybe they thought :alien: was hungry. I can think of worse things to waste.  Tests should be run on the cake if it was found after falling back to Earth.  If it's still edible we have a great way to quick freeze food during a power outage. :rolleyes:

On 16/10/2017 at 3:44 PM, paperdyer said:

Maybe they thought :alien: was hungry. I can think of worse things to waste.  Tests should be run on the cake if it was found after falling back to Earth.  If it's still edible we have a great way to quick freeze food during a power outage. :rolleyes:

It's not a cake. It's a biscuit with chocolate and marshmallow.