Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Social media outcry shuts down restaurant

Uncle Sam

An Arizona restaurant was forced to close its doors indefinitely this week after a politically charged Facebook post the eatery’s owners wrote prompted mass criticism from social media users.

Christopher Smith and Jay Warren, the owners of Cup it Up American Grill in Tucson, posted a statement on the restaurant’s social media page last week with a list of things the two support and resent, including the president, kneeling for the anthem and late night hosts, Vice News reported.

Click Here For More

Liberals on college campus or in general sicken me, they pretty much silence or shut down people who express their political views or supporting people that they want. WE DO NOT LIVE IN A DICTATORSHIP! Apparently they want to make it one, a place where you can't express your political views without repercussions. Tyranny of the majority people. You are seeing it first hand!

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 6

I don't agree with people getting threatened for stating their beliefs. If they were threatened.

That said, it's probably gonna put a nail in your business coffin not showing the games during football season in your bar and grill. 

Probably best not to alienate the majority of your customers, either. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 5

It's interesting how the people that are supposed to be opposed to bullying or exclusionary thought at the ones that are doing it themselves.

It's like how the Catholic church had supposedly been doing the work of Jesus, but pushed the inquisition.

I think some people just like an excuse to act angry, crazy and judge others instead of judging themselves.  

When people become extreme to either side of the spectrum it polarizes people that would normally be closer to the middle to an extreme themselves.

• Like 4

The Hitlerite-Fascist* nature of Left-Wing politics has crossed the line into Domestic Terrorism.

And if the people who did this get away with it, we will all know the Establishment is backing it.

The restaurant received “so many angry phone calls” that several employees chose to quit, reports say.

"People threatened to burn down the restaurant with the owners in it. It's a crazy world we're in," Ron Sanchez, whose daughter worked at the eatery, told ABC15.

“We have made a decision to close our doors indefinitely as of today, Monday, October 9, 2017. The safety of our employees, and our families is of great concern and is our #1 priority at this time,” the statement said. “We would also like to extend a special thanks to our Military and First responders. Thank you all and God Bless." 

*Hey, since other people are using terms invented by the Communists (Hate Speech, Political Correctness) why can't I do this same thing?

• Like 1

I learned a long time ago, keep the politics to myself when it comes to working with the public. If I don't like something posted  by a business, I'll just not go there.  If it's really a good place, I can be forgiving. I bet there is more to the story. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Uncle Sam said:

Liberals on college campus or in general sicken me, they pretty much silence or shut down people who express their political views or supporting people that they want. WE DO NOT LIVE IN A DICTATORSHIP! Apparently they want to make it one, a place where you can't express your political views without repercussions. Tyranny of the majority people. You are seeing it first hand!

They also claim we need more gun control, even after admitting (Frankenstein from California) no laws would have prevented the 58 deaths in Las Vegas, but they don't want and will not discuss how many abortions were performed that day across the US, why because they condone legal baby killing as a woman's personal life choice but hate you having a personal legal (constitutional) choice to own any firearm.

2 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

*Hey, since other people are using terms invented by the Communists (Hate Speech, Political Correctness) why can't I do this same thing?

You can.  Threatening to burn somebodies business down with them in it would qualify as hate speech.  Like Grandpa Greenman said, if you don't like someplace, you don't go back, that is enough.  Threats are uncalled for.

Before I wrote anything, I checked.  It could have been fake news (both sides do that ).  They did shut down. the chef is a partner but did not participate in the post,  He and other employees quit after a barrage of angry phone calls. They got tanked on social media and bad reviews filled Yelp and other sites.  There may have been threats, that is between the owners and the cops. As yet no vandalism to the property reported.  Rather sad for the country that intolerance is so hair trigger these days.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

You can.  Threatening to burn somebodies business down with them in it would qualify as hate speech.  Like Grandpa Greenman said, if you don't like someplace, you don't go back, that is enough.  Threats are uncalled for.

It should be considered a direct threat, a hate crime or a terroristic threat with legal consequences. Unfortunately, only minorities have the law on their side and this sort of thing has become all to common.

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Before I wrote anything, I checked.  It could have been fake news (both sides do that ).  They did shut down. the chef is a partner but did not participate in the post,  He and other employees quit after a barrage of angry phone calls. They got tanked on social media and bad reviews filled Yelp and other sites.  There may have been threats, that is between the owners and the cops. As yet no vandalism to the property reported.  Rather sad for the country that intolerance is so hair trigger these days.

It’s only a hate crime if directed against a minority, otherwise it’s “free speech”. 

34 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It’s only a hate crime if directed against a minority, otherwise it’s “free speech”. 

I'm kinda hoping you are being sarcastic... but maybe I should know better by now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

The Hitlerite-Fascist* nature of Left-Wing politics has crossed the line into Domestic Terrorism.

And if the people who did this get away with it, we will all know the Establishment is backing it.

Liberals support free speech in all ways, at all times.... unless they want to shut you up. Then they go complete Fascist on you. The hypocrisy should be embarrassing, but instead they see nothing wrong. Probably due to self righteousness. Self Righteousness... which they also decry, but practice in full.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Social media outcry shuts down restaurant

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Liberals support free speech in all ways, at all times.... unless they want to shut you up. Then they go complete Fascist on you. The hypocrisy should be embarrassing, but instead they see nothing wrong. Probably due to self righteousness. Self Righteousness... which they also decry, but practice in full.

And conservatives do the exact same thing, and in fact cheer it, I present Colin Kaepernick as exhibit A. 

The conservative argument against him has been that he is allowed to speak out but there are consequences, same thing here. 

Its an idiotic decision to mix business and politics. 

• Like 1

Plenty of self righteousness to go around. :tu:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Well, OK, hate crime does have a definition.  But, Sir Wearer, threatening to kill someone is more than free speech.

http://www.heritage.org/the-constitution/report/true-threats-and-the-limits-first-amendment-protection

The First Amendment guarantees every person the right of free speech, but that right is not absolute. Some words “by their very utterance” cause injury or incite an immediate breach of peace, and they do not receive constitutional protection.[2] Among the category of unprotected speech are “true threats,” statements in which a speaker expresses a “serious” intent “to commit an act of unlawful violence to a particular individual or group of individuals.”[3] Even though statutes that punish unprotected speech have “never been thought to raise any Constitutional problem”[4] and Congress has made it a crime to use interstate communications facilities to make “threats,” the law governing this subject has been unclear.[5]

It may not officially be a hate crime, but it seems to be a punishable offense, although I did not research Arizona.

8 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

And conservatives do the exact same thing, and in fact cheer it, I present Colin Kaepernick as exhibit A. 

Does he still have his job? Is he still rich?

Your exhibit is flawed, and out-dated, and also shows where the real power is... and the power is NOT aligned against a pampered entertainer that has made a career out of insulting half his corporation's fan-base.

NFL Players Join Soros To Fund Leftist Advocacy Groups ... while we subsidize their stadiums

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-06/nfl-players-join-soros-fund-leftist-advocacy-groups

13 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Does he still have his job?

No he doesnt have a job. 

14 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Your exhibit is flawed, and out-dated, and also shows where the real power is... and the power is NOT aligned against a pampered entertainer that has made a career out of insulting half his corporation's fan-base.

LMAO the POTUS spending a quarter of a million dollars to make a political statement about the issue says otherwise. 

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Well, OK, hate crime does have a definition.  But, Sir Wearer, threatening to kill someone is more than free speech.

http://www.heritage.org/the-constitution/report/true-threats-and-the-limits-first-amendment-protection

The First Amendment guarantees every person the right of free speech, but that right is not absolute. Some words “by their very utterance” cause injury or incite an immediate breach of peace, and they do not receive constitutional protection.[2] Among the category of unprotected speech are “true threats,” statements in which a speaker expresses a “serious” intent “to commit an act of unlawful violence to a particular individual or group of individuals.”[3] Even though statutes that punish unprotected speech have “never been thought to raise any Constitutional problem”[4] and Congress has made it a crime to use interstate communications facilities to make “threats,” the law governing this subject has been unclear.[5]

It may not officially be a hate crime, but it seems to be a punishable offense, although I did not research Arizona.

You want to bet that if this goes to Court, the offenders will hide behind “free speech” and the usual “any excuse for a riot” brigade will scream and set light to things in the name of “defending the free speech that Trump is tearing away”?

15 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

I'm kinda hoping you are being sarcastic... but maybe I should know better by now.

Perhaps I should have added a rider to the effect of “according to the riotous left”.

First the NFL and now this.  People really should separate business with politics.

I am fine with Colin Kaepernick kneeling during a game, but I am not outraged that he can't get a job because of it.

Like-wise I could care less if some business owner posted political stuff on Facebook and then had to shut his business down because he lost employees and customers.

Boycotting and getting people fired over politics seems to be the new trend now for both sides.  In particular "doxing" seems to be on the rise.  Yes, you have freedom of speech, but no you son't have freedom of consequence.  Especially now, in the information age, where are words are recorded indefinitely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Boycotting and getting people fired over politics seems to be the new trend now for both sides.  In particular "doxing" seems to be on the rise.

What, you though one side would just sit back and take it while the enemy beat them to death with that stuff?

Yes, you have freedom of speech, but no you son't have freedom of consequence. 

YES, well said. That is the point that everyone seems to flee from whenever it comes around to bite them where it counts.

Like, in he wallet.

Especially now, in the information age, where are words are recorded indefinitely.

I ... um ... hang on.

That isn't working for me. I don't believe that the net is eternal. or even very resilient. 

It sure ain't secure.

I honestly don't think the net is going to be with us much longer, certainly not in the form it is now. There is already talk about the Wild West days being over (except on the Dark Web) and that the ever-rising tide of rules, regulation, manipulation and all that rot. Net Neutrality could be the worst thing of all, but if it comes cloaked in the guise of "safety" then every little chicken on Earth will go for it.

Books made of paper can't be changed with the press of a key from the other side of the world... only something at Fahrenheit 451 can alter them once they have been printed.

On 10/15/2017 at 3:41 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You want to bet that if this goes to Court, the offenders will hide behind “free speech” and the usual “any excuse for a riot” brigade will scream and set light to things in the name of “defending the free speech that Trump is tearing away”?

I find it difficult to bet anymore.  To me, the engineer,this seems like conservation of momentum in action. Two balls collide and rebound, one rocketing off to the far left, one jetting off to the far right.  Action and reaction.  It would be nice if we were a little softer than billiard balls and met somewhere in the middle.

There is a cynical part of me that wants verification of the threats.  The tactic of becoming the victim has been used by both sides.  I recently saw a picture of a black football player doing a victory dance after the game.  A burning American flag was photo-shopped into his hands and circulated to get people angry at the kneeling players. Fake news.  Both sides do it, yes indeed they do.

I am fine with the post and the boycott.   Gromdor said it about freedom and consequences. What I will suggest is that they should have thought twice about adding "If you don't like it tell 100 of your friends and never come to our place again."  If you tell 100 of your friends, you can bet one or two of them are nut jobs that will take that as an offence and challenge.  Again, that goes for the right and the left.

• Like 1

From a small business point of view this was very stupid to do.
This should become a classic example for businesses on how not to use social media for your business.
Basically they decided to put everything that divides the USA today in a face book page and at the same time they made sure to let everyone know where they stand on this. Besides that they also made sure that they let everyone know in the same face book page that if you don't like what they stand for you are not welcome there anymore. And now they are crying because of the backlash ? Seriously ?
Oh, did I mentioned that the area this business is in is said to be "liberal" because of the university close by ?

Having sad the above they did have all the right to do this and I respect them for speaking up their beliefs and them being patriotic. It is their good right and freedom to do so. However was it smart ? I don't think so and shame on those people that made threats to physically hurt this business and the people that work there..  

Edited by thedutchiedutch
  • Like 3

On 10/15/2017 at 10:14 PM, AnchorSteam said:

What, you though one side would just sit back and take it while the enemy beat them to death with that stuff?

YES, well said. That is the point that everyone seems to flee from whenever it comes around to bite them where it counts.

Like, in he wallet.

I ... um ... hang on.

That isn't working for me. I don't believe that the net is eternal. or even very resilient. 

It sure ain't secure.

I honestly don't think the net is going to be with us much longer, certainly not in the form it is now. There is already talk about the Wild West days being over (except on the Dark Web) and that the ever-rising tide of rules, regulation, manipulation and all that rot. Net Neutrality could be the worst thing of all, but if it comes cloaked in the guise of "safety" then every little chicken on Earth will go for it.

Books made of paper can't be changed with the press of a key from the other side of the world... only something at Fahrenheit 451 can alter them once they have been printed.

Eh, in the last ten years or so the guys and I here in Iowa have built three large data centers and one smaller one.  One for Google near Council Bluffs and one for Microsoft and Facebook in the Des Moines area.  Think of 8 Walmart stores put together and then fill it with computer banks and air conditioners.  These places exist to literally save all the cat memes, browsing history, and other data.

It's gold too.  The companies are feverishly working on algorithms to crunch this data to find your behavior and habits so that they can sell tailor sales pitches, news articles, and otherwise make profiles of you for business purposes.  Heck, my local grocery store uses check out data to restock, find out what's popular, and otherwise determine buyers habits. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gromdor said:

It's gold too.  The companies are feverishly working on algorithms to crunch this data to find your behavior and habits so that they can sell tailor sales pitches, news articles, and otherwise make profiles of you for business purposes.  Heck, my local grocery store uses check out data to restock, find out what's popular, and otherwise determine buyers habits. 

Fascinating...

But, are they getting their money's worth? I have heard a lot of contradictory things lately. 

I also know that anyone that does not build a system that gives the Government a back-door into it is in trouble. A major software security company was put out of business half a dozen years ago and they were barred from talking about what exactly went down.

Lava.... something?